+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnant and newly single

My friend, let's call her Jane. A few months ago she found out she had cancer, fortunately they found it early, she's had surgery and they got it all. She only a couple of weeks ago found out that her husband had been cheating on her and she has kicked him out. Yesterday she found out she was pregnant. She's keeping the baby. Her family aren't being terribly supportive (her dad said "get rid of it"). So she's on her own. Other than the paid parental leave, what other resources are out there for single mums? This was all I could think of. I had a very different pregnancy as I had my husband and family there all the time. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Pregnant and newly single

If she is on parenting payment single she will get a pension card which will work similar to a health care card but better eg her rego for her car is going to be a lot cheaper etc.
    She will also get child support from the babies father. And of course the baby bonus or if she is working she can get paid parental leave instead of baby bonus of it works out better for her. Also if she is working her employer may have paid parental leave alsoI?
    Is this her first baby? Does she have things eg cot etc from a previous baby or does she need everything? I know it can be pretty expensive when starting out with your first baby but there are avenues she can go down to reduce the cost. We hired our baby capsule for $40 for 3 months from the council when our DD1 was born which saved us a lot. We also bargain hunted for almost everything as well as utilising eBay and gumtree. There are also a fair few Facebook pages and other websites where people sell new or near new items very cheaply, and other pages and sites that give them away for nothing and you can also request what you're after and people often remember they've got thugs they never or barely used and are willing to give it away.
    Hope this is what u were after and it helps

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinksamillion For This Useful Post:

Blackdomino1  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She currently works full time. She has no other children. No sure about child support as her husband is not a resident and may leave the country now they have split.
    I am so angry at her husband. Why do people have to suck?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope it all works out for her in the end.
    The light at the end of the tunnel is that she will have a beautiful baby in 9 months time - one of the most precious gifts in the world

People suck because they are selfish. In the end it always comes down to selfishness. There is no reason for her Family not to support her. That's what Families are for - To support you and love you unconditionally, even if everyone else gives up. They are being selfish with their affection and their love as a Family. They should be ashamed of themselves for making her feel so alone. How will her Father feel when his Grandchild is born and he holds it for the first time and looks down into the baby's beautiful eyes knowing in the back of his mind he wished she had "rid of it"? My sister said similar to me when I was pregnant with DD1 saying "You should have gotten an abortion!" in a fit of rage because I wouldn't drive her to school! She now has to live with that for the rest of her life knowing that she once wished death on her first Niece.
    I hope it all works out for your friend. Its probably best she calls CSA and find out her entitlements if her ex Husband does move overseas.