+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Diet advice for 12 year old ... Dietician?

Dsd is 12, 5ft 7 and over 90 kilos.
    She lives 50/50 between mum and dad and is addicted to food!

We have tried everything and anything and nothing helps, she did loose 5 kgs last time she stayed with us for 3 weeks but she went on holiday and has now gained 7kgs in 3 months.

We provide low calorie meals, fresh fruit and veg she swims, rides and walks to school so I'm pretty sure she's sneaking food when her mum isn't home (before school).

Does anyone have info on how a dietician works for kids or have any advice?

Dsd doesn't care that food makes you big/unfit, isn't keen on exersice and gets very offended/emotional about food or her weight easily...

Please help

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by babybumblebee; 30-08-2012 at 12:09.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Diet advice for 12 year old ... Dietitian?

I went to one when I was little and they gave my parents a 'rewards chart' so I got to choose a toy or something and once I'd gotten a certain number of stars I got my present. I got stars for making good food choices- eg when we were out and I chose something healthy instead of junk, and for choosing to exercise/play outside instead of watching tv. I think it made me think about what I was doing and put the responsibility on me, somehow I'd gotten fat even though my parents always fed us healthily and encouraged sports (I was eating out of the cupboard when they weren't there- I used to melt butter and sugar together and eat it (!!!), trading my school lunch for junk etc).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Woody1982 For This Useful Post:

babybumblebee  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

You summed things up at the end of the post saying that dsd gets very emotional about food. I may be off the mark but it sounds as if she is comfort eating and the fact that stuff is done in secret sets off alarm bells for me. I went to see a dietician at 84kg just before my wedding, I was in my 20's and the bish told me to consider gastric band surgery. I was in tears for weeks about it and nearly called off the wedding as I felt so upset.
    I would recommend some counselling because unless she looks at the issues surrounding her unhealthy eating, she may end up yo yo dieting. Also plz never say the word diet to a child as it is so destructive. If you do decide to go down the path of seeing a dietician make sure they have experience of working with overweight children.
    I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by Carpe diem 2013; 29-08-2012 at 16:22.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Carpe diem 2013 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Diet advice for 12 year old ... Dietitian?

Thanks,

I do think she needs some help,her mum has been blunt and at times has been quite mean about DSDs weight telling her what to eat, yelling at her for having a treat or telling her she's getting bigger and needs to diet, alot of the emotion stems from that, its a very touchy subject because she takes it personal then eats for comfort DH is going to book a dietitan and take dsd.
    Hopefully her mum will follow it through too otherwise we are fighting a loosing battle

DH and her mum don't see eye to eye so working together is out of the question without a 3rd party!

I don't even know how to tell dsd that we are worried about her and that she needs help

Last edited by babybumblebee; 29-08-2012 at 18:10.

Thanks
    Reviews

I see you r in Perth go see Jo dembo @ diet by dyzyne.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefully2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks do you need a letter from a doctor or just an appointment ?

Thanks
    Reviews

Just an appointment. She is very sweet has kids and is an excellent dietician.

Thanks
    Reviews

Do u have private health insurance? Coz she is covered. However if not she is not expensive. Think around $50 for an initial consult.

Thanks
    Reviews

Great thanks I will have to check my PH fund to see if its covered.
    I have had a look on the website, do you know if she is in freemantle thats closest for us?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think a dietician is a good start, you should see your GP as you will probably be entittled to the enhanced care program which is a medicare scheme. ECP will give you x amount of free or subsidised visits to the dietician. Depending on what level of extras cover you have on your PHI you may also be able to enrol her in excecise classes, swimming lessons etc and your PHI will cover the costs. Ours will cover things like swimming lessons, gym membership is the our GP signs off on it. I saw a dietician myself last year when my weight peaked at 86 kgs late last year and she was really good, no judgements just really good food advice, meal plans etc.... My weight is now down to 75kgs and still going down just from gradually making changes and I have done this with minimal excerise as well as the first thing she taught me was that weight loss is 80% what goes in your mouth and 20% physical activity and that alone made the whole process less daunting