+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default private health, is it really worth it? opinions please!

Out of curiosity are there many bub hubbers out there who are going through IVF without private health insurance??
    Do you wish you had it? I took it out a few months ago but since I may be doing a cycle in a few months it seems pointless having it (due to 12 month wait to access it) and am thinking of cancelling it and just saving that money instead.
    Just wondering what some of your opinions are on this. I only have enough money for one IVF cycle so I don't want to be paying money into something I will not probably use. If I need a FET do I need it for that?
    I am currently with Medibank Private. Has anyone had any problems with them? Do they cover medications?
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stormgirl73 For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi stormgirl, thanks for this thread - i was also wondering the same thing! We will probably going through at least our first cycle without private health cover as we have a 12 month wait as well.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi there

Good luck on your IVF journey! I have just started mine and am on day 1 of jabbing!

I started out like you and didn't see the benefit of PHI for IVF but then rethought it and have signed up. The biggest reason was that if we did need more than one cycle it would b worth it.

The other reason was that fingers crossed we do get pregnant and in 9 months I will need the health insurance for birth!

I was always very against it but having done some research I'm now very happy with my decision.

My other tip (if it applies to you) is to get separate policies. We saved over 1000 bucks by taking out a basic policy for hubby and a higher level cover (including IVF) for me.

Good luck! Hope your journey is short and sending baby dust your way!!!

S

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrincessPud For This Useful Post:

heartstringz  (29-08-2012),KandP  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm in the same boat as you guys just took it out with medibank a month ago and now just waiting a few months before I start ivf. Been trying for years so I'm used to waiting. I'm confused tho will I be able to attend anti natal at a private hospital? And use a private ob? I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here but no harm in being positive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessPud View Post

My other tip (if it applies to you) is to get separate policies. We saved over 1000 bucks by taking out a basic policy for hubby and a higher level cover (including IVF) for me.
    This!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessPud View Post
    One thing to be careful of with this - with some policies if you take out "single" rather than "couples" cover, it doesn't include IVF or pregnancy coverage.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: private health, is it really worth it? opinions please!

We did separate policies too as dh only needed cheapy cover and my single covered ivf and preg. We also thought about a single parent policy for when I had the baby rather than a family cover as it's cheaper than family. Look into that as bub must be on a policy when he/she is born if you go private and if bub needs to be admitted for any reason as his own patient. Single parent is a good alternative to family...if your phi offers it.

Thanks
    Reviews

If you don't have PHI you usually end up paying almost exactly the same to the government as what your policy would cost come tax time anyway dependent on your income.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did IVF for about 4 years and never had private. You can claim quite a bit back on Medicare ... I think it works out to be around the same.

Thanks
    Reviews

Basically phi will cover you for EPU and transfer as my clinic classes it as inpatient too. The hospital I go to cost $1500 for EPU.. So add that to your cycle as well as $100 for transfer..

Work out whether your happy to pay a monthly premium to cover that or just pay per cycle without phi..

For us it was better to have it as I want to go private when I do fall preg and well I'd rather have phi insurance just incase!