+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mother watches her child be abused, wants to be teacher. ***mentions child abuse***

http://m.brisbanetimes.com.au/queens...829-2506j.html
    Note: article mentions abuse.

Quick Summary:
    "A young mother ignored her partner's abuse of their baby despite the fact the child constantly cried in pain from bruises and fractured bones, a court has heard....The court heard the child and its younger sibling are in foster care, but that the mother wants them returned and now aspires to be a teacher"

For 3 months this mother allowed the abuse to continue - I wonder where she was within herself emotionally to watch these things occur. Was this something that happened to her on a regular basis that she had come to accept this as her child's fate too?

Me personally, I feel the decision to record a conviction was the right one - to ensure that she wouldn't be able to persue a future in education. I would not feel comfortable with a woman with such high emotional issues and documented cases of neglect looking after my child.

However, if she got professional help and worked through those issues - should, or more so *could* she be capable of caring for children OTHER than her own in a positive fashion? Thoughts?
    Last edited by BabushkaMumma; 29-08-2012 at 15:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel sick to my stomach after reading that article.

It's difficult to feel sympathy for the woman, but without knowing all the circumstances it's hard to say whether or not she might be capable of being in a position to look after children in the future.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AllCreatures For This Useful Post:

BabushkaMumma  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Very sad for this poor baby, however the article lacks any real detail or insight into this case to really comment on it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    If the mother saw what was going on and failed to do anything about it then i think it was right of the judge to convict her of it. She was the child's only hope and she let it down. I wouldn't feel comfortable sending my children to a school where she was teaching in the fear that she wouldn't act on other children being bullied or abused. if she can't even stand up for her own child what would she do when faced with a child that is being abused a hope and is looking to her for help.

I understand that she might get counselling and might try and be a better person/mother but i think she had a chance when her child first started to be abused and she decided not to defend her child so that chance has been taken away

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tutu & Lulu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Mother watches her child be abused, wants to be teacher. ***mentions child abuse***

Its so sad to hear things like this actually happening.
    The poor baby what a horrible introduction to life, betrayed by the people who should have cared for them the most.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    No way should that woman be a teacher and she should be convicted. She is just as bad as the person hurting her baby.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

And she had another baby to him. Idiot!!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I have very little sympathy. I can't imagine a person that would allow their child to be hurt...it makes her just as guilty as far as I m concerned. Even more so as the child would have been screaming for her help and been let down by her...it is cruel. I hope the kids are allowed to find a safe and happy home.

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews

I agree - my heart goes out to two young souls now in the foster care system, separated from their mother but deservedly so.

She did have the chance to make things right with the first incident but she didn't. That makes me believe she viewed such abuses as normal in her life, and who knows, maybe from her childhood on too.

I agree with the PP - I doubt she would even recognise instances of bullying in the playground so wouldn't act on them.

This is a lose lose for her children - but thanks to the judges recording of a conviction - not for other peoples children.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BabushkaMumma For This Useful Post:

AllCreatures  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    recording a child cruelty conviction will stop her working with children in any capacity...you need a police check.

I hope those lil bubs get a nice forever home

17. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post: