+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Feeding to sleep....

Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    I do resettle with boob

I'm also worried because I haven't decided when to stop bf, I'd always wanted to keep going at least to the 6 month mark and decide how much longer then. Worried I'm not going to be able to settle her!
    That's ok too! As missie Mack said you can use the dummy or switch to patting/shushing etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Once mine has pulled off the boob (normally as she falls asleep) if she rewakes in a few minutes there's no way she'll take boob to resettle...so think yourself lucky! I have HOURS of shushing and patting each night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks ladies. I feel much better about it. It works so well and I didn't want to stop, but don't want to make things harder for me down the track

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Feeding to sleep rocks!

My ds was a nightmare to settle and feeding to sleep worked for 2 weeks when he was around 9 months. It was my most relaxed 2 weeks of the first year of his life!

I was thrilled when my dd liked to feed to sleep. I usually used the feed-play-sleep routine til around 3 or 4 months, so often she was feeding when she woke up. But, then at the end of the day she'd have a feed & fall asleep for the night and often overnight she'd feed & fall straight back to sleep. Now she's 11 months and she often falls asleep at the end of her end of the day feed. It's such a lovely way to end the day.

For daytime naps I put her in the cot awake and let her self-settle and if that doesn't work I rock/pat/etc or feed if she's hungry. Little bubs (like yours OP) still have lots of feeds during the day, but eventually that reduces so you will find the need to put bubs down without a feed as time goes by. You might want to introduce a dummy if you think bubs likes to suck when going to sleep. Just take it as it comes and don't worry too much about the what ifs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Feeding to sleep....

I fed ds to sleep for 16 months.....it's now coming back to bite me! I'm night weaning at the moment as we have another baby due in january. It's difficult because he just doesn't understand why he can not have his boob and gets very upset. Although my ds woke constantly all night for it which was the problem, if your baby sleeps fairly well after being fed to sleep I wouldn't worry too much, if they start waking all the time for it I would stop straight away. If he slept all or most of the night I would probably just continue with it. Or maybe (because I know how nice feeding them to sleep is) make sure at least 1 sleep a day they aren't fed to sleep if that didn't confuse them. Also another issue we have had is because he's so dependent on it to sleep he won't go near his father at bed time, he just gets very upset. So just make sure dad can still do some night settling.

Thanks
    Reviews

It's ok if you don't do it for every sleep or I think they likely do start waking every sleep cycle overnight and also you are the only one who can settle them. If you do feed to sleep you probably won't have an amazing 7-7 all night long sleeper but they might only wake once or twice if you are happy with that.

Definitely don't recommend it if your bub has silent reflux - it was a mistake for me to feed to sleep and caused massive problems.