+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Car seat that can rear face for ~2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Are you sure?
    Most are RF to 12kg
    And them FF up to 18kg

Ive never heard of one in aus being RF up to 18kg and can't find one listed as so on the safety 1st website
    I searched like crazy looking for an ERF seat by weight limit and this is one that came up. A few weeks later, I noticed that NONE of the car seats had weight or height restrictions listed-only age.

18 kg makes sense since 40 lbs is the new standard of ERF seats in the US.

My DD is 17 months and still RF, but judging by the height markers, she will definitely not RF until 4. She will inherit her sister's Graco My Ride 65. (This actually came from the US.)

Have you searched Facebook for Rear Facing Down Under? There are suggestions there as well.

Good luck!

Sent from my Desire HD using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Here is a link to RFDU. It lists several ERF car seats.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php? created&&note_id=200061483378385

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In Australia, we have no seats that rear face to 18kg, and they do not go by age. All Safe n Sound seats that are birth to 18kg will rear face to 12kg, or have the height markers rather than a weight range.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The government is planning on approving the use of isofix restraints which will allow for seats that RF longer. The issue with ERF in Aus is the tether strap. Sadly they won't be legal to use until 2015.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Car seat that can rear face for ~2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    In Australia, we have no seats that rear face to 18kg, and they do not go by age. All Safe n Sound seats that are birth to 18kg will rear face to 12kg, or have the height markers rather than a weight range.
    Exactly what i was trying to point out

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Exactly what i was trying to point out
    I hope people realise. I'm all for rear facing for the longest possible time, but would not rear face to 18kg in our current approved seats. My daughter was upright by 4 months because the seats at the time only rf to 9kg and she was a fat baby. From 12 months, her growth slowed right down and she was in a 5pt harness until 8.5 years. Her length is in her legs, and she hovered around the 18kg mark for ages. The only reason I moved her up then is because we were in a car accident, and insurance took a long time to replace the seat, so I bought a tethered booster, and was happy with the design so kept her in that even once the seat was replaced. I now do daycare from home and use that seat for the daycare kids. I personally would not get a Mothers Choice seat, as they only rf to 9kg, and are really low at the back so kids outgrow them fast. My nephew was in one and they had to buy a different seat because he hit 9kg really young like my dd did, I had a go at them because unlike when mine was that age, there are now seats that rf longer, so there is no reason for them to turn him before 6m. They used the mothers choice in the other car, and he outgrew it in upright position just after his first birthday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley595 View Post
    There's not an actual height, every child grows differently some will be longer in the torso so will reach the marker sooner than a child with longer legs and a shorter torso but the same height if that makes sense. This seat is supposed to suit for longer I have not seen it in person but I doubt my 16 month old would be below the marker but he is 90cm already we haven't found a single seat that he is below the marker on

I'll second the 'all kids grow differently!!! My DS 1 out grew his HiPod convertible booster about the time he turned five, and now I think it's because he had a longer torso and shorter legs, but it's evening out now. DS2 is 22 months and still rearfacing: he is only 10kg, and short as well. He had a decent growth spurt recently, and I was expecting to need to turn him, but all of his growth was in his legs. So now he has long legs and a short torso.

I've bought him a new SNS Lifestyle for when our next baby arrives in a few weeks, but don't know whether to put him FF straight away or keep him RF for what could only be a couple of weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Car seat that can rear face for ~2 years.

It's a real dilemma when you have a long, thin child.

DD didn't hit 9kgs until she was one-ish but was well and truly too long for rear-facing.

She's also been above the height markers for her current seat that converts to a booster for more than six months (she's 4 next week) but isnt much more than 12kgs.

According to weight she should only just have been turned around but based in height she should be in a booster.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by miniriz View Post
    I searched like crazy looking for an ERF seat by weight limit and this is one that came up. A few weeks later, I noticed that NONE of the car seats had weight or height restrictions listed-only age.

18 kg makes sense since 40 lbs is the new standard of ERF seats in the US.

My DD is 17 months and still RF, but judging by the height markers, she will definitely not RF until 4. She will inherit her sister's Graco My Ride 65. (This actually came from the US.)

Have you searched Facebook for Rear Facing Down Under? There are suggestions there as well.

Good luck!

I thought American seats were illegal to use here?

And as far as I'm aware, the highest weight limit is 15kg for RFing in Australia at the moment and that's only very recent. I think it's by safe n sound. Before thos was released not long ago, the highest RFing seat was 12kg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MummaHan View Post
    I thought American seats were illegal to use here?

And as far as I'm aware, the highest weight limit is 15kg for RFing in Australia at the moment and that's only very recent. I think it's by safe n sound. Before thos was released not long ago, the highest RFing seat was 12kg.
    Any seat that doesn't have an Australian Standards sticker is illegal to use. This is because our laws are the only ones in the world that don't allow for models that surpass our standards to be used.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using BubHub