+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Who is in a HR/Management position? What do you think about

I work for a great not for profit organization that has pretty good family friendly policies. I'm not worried about tell my supervisor that I'm pregnant, but I just wondered what is considered to be normal?

I know I don't *have* to tell them for ages, but if you're in a managers position do you generally expect to be told before it becomes general knowledge, and how soon before?

I'm 8 weeks now and I couple of people have guessed, so I'm just wondering if I should tell my supervisor now or just wait til the 12 week mark and tell them when I tell everyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a manager I like to hear about it directly from my staff person rather than through the work grapevine.

If you wish to say something to your boss earlier than 12 weeks - just ask that the news be kept confidential until then when you can tell everyone yourself.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Raising Leprechauns For This Useful Post:

MummysYellowCar  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I think the only time you should tell them is if your job consists of things that you shouldn't do while pregnant, like heavy lifting etc.
    I guess it mostly matters what works for you and your situation, there is no wrong or right. If you want to tell them now, then go for it, if not then tell them when you tell others. It shouldn't really matter either way.

As a manager, I didn't really care when I found out a staff member was pregnant, apart from when she directly lied to me about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    As a manager I like to hear about it directly from my staff person rather than through the work grapevine.

If you wish to say something to your boss earlier than 12 weeks - just ask that the news be kept confidential until then when you can tell everyone yourself.
    I'm an HR Manager and also manage a team and agree with this. If people are guessing, tell your boss sooner rather than later. It gives them more time to make plans for your maternity leave.

As for what normally happens, in my experience, it seems that women normally tell their manager and team quite early - 12 to 16 weeks - (often just because they are excited to share the news!)

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

I told my supervisor early every time as I was pretty sick so wanted them to know why, also if I had had a miscarriage I would have wanted some time off and understanding...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I'm an HR Manager and also manage a team and agree with this. If people are guessing, tell your boss sooner rather than later. It gives them more time to make plans for your maternity leave.

As for what normally happens, in my experience, it seems that women normally tell their manager and team quite early - 12 to 16 weeks - (often just because they are excited to share the news!)

Good luck
    I also work in HR and agree with this. Ideally they will find out from you and not on the grapevine.