+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    YMo7 is offline 37 week ultrasound of our baby girl
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default New lab puppy :)

I have been searching for my ideal dog for some time now and have decided (I think) that I want a short hair labrador.
    I would ideally like to rescue one but I have been looking at rescue places and Gumtree and trading post with little success.

Any suggestions for the best place to get a dog (1yr or under-ish) in Sydney? We would like to see it before we go out to pick it up preferably...

Thx.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    there is a sydney lab rescue group.

http://www.rescuealabrador.com/cant-find-a-dog

Lab's are wonderful family dogs, very loyal and loving. Just make sure you have plenty of time to take it for walks and run's they have a LOT of energy and like to chew up stuff to burn it off

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't free feed {leave food out for grazing} either. Labs are extremely food driven, like most sporting breeds, and WILL overeat and become obese if allowed to.

Second the exercise thing, they are a sporting {hunting} breed and contrary to popular opinion, require quite a lot of exercise. The lazy lab idea comes from generations of overfed, under stimulated, backyard dogs.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews

Subscribing! Our lab puppy will be here in just under two weeks. I think we're going to need all the help we can get, lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    yup lots of excersice
    and they looooove chewing on stuff- have toys ready as soon as you bring him home!
    they never stop eating if you left them!
    from the very begining dont let him jump on you- we've found the not jumping really difficult to teach him( it a problem as they're pretty big so its terrible for kids when they get knocked over) good luck hope your find him soon labs are wonderful

Thanks
    Reviews

Lots of exercise and stuff to keep them occupied if you aren't home during the day. Our girl is 6 now and still has heaps of energy to burn. Also I would steer clear of getting one at around the 10 month mark unless u have heaps of time to dedicate to training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Buy 1001 chew toys, Kong balls, lots of raw bone.

Even with walks and lots of play our puppy still get VERY bored!! Especially if we're out for the day, she chews EVERYTHING!!

We have always had her sleep in a porta cot (best decision ever!!) she absolutely loves it and has a special pillow and big soft teddy which she surprisingly hasn't chewed!!

Now that she is 10 months old and SO heavy to lift out of her cot we are thinking of trialing her with just a bed..

She is 100x more work then I ever imagianed but is such a beautiful dog and her and DD are just beautiful together!! She is rough as guts with me and DH and so very gentle with DD.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: New lab puppy :)

We got our lab from Nowra on south coast if you are willing to.drive that far. We even had to have a phone interview and then 2 days later the decisions were made about who could buy the puppies. The breeder also called us on his first birthday soo cute
    Keep your undies out of reach lol ours stole them off the clothes linw and ate the crouch out of them lol
    Just think of the movie marley and me!
    My poor old boy has a problem with his back hips now so he doesnt move much anymore

Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

If you are willing to travel for the right dog then Amanda at http://labradogrescue.com.au/ takes in both private surrenders and pound rescues from all over the blue mountains area. She rehomed our beautiful girl when my sons allergy said we couldn't keep her. She won't muck around with you though, she's in it for the dogs. So if you aren't really prepared and ready she will call you on it, she also does a 30 day in home trial to make sure you and your new baby are just right for one another. I'd recommend her to anyone serious about a lab rescue.

Edit - you will find dogs one year and under hard to find as a rescue since that's what everyone wants. However older dogs can be just as wonderful and sometimes even have calmed down a little, only a little - they're still a lab lol. Labs love everyone usually, so am older dog will still be loyal to you and your family, don't just write off the older ones automatically, they too can be just as wonderful as their baby counterparts. Jmo.
    Last edited by Maia; 01-09-2012 at 07:20.

Thanks
    Reviews

We have a chocolate lab who is almost 10 months old. They are lots of work but they are worth it! Make sure u have the motivation to be outside for daily walks and long games of fetch rain hail or shine. If they don't get exercised they go a little crazy. They are really smart though and we find when it is miserable weather we can play games inside like hide and seek and she loves it.
    We don't have kids (yet) but our neighbour who is almost 2 often comes over to play with her and they both love it. Even though she is a hyper ball of energy all the time she loves following the little girl around and will let the girl throw the ball for her and gently bring it back. Its strange but she seems to know when she needs to be calm when little people are around even though she hasn't had lots of experience. I have put quite a bit of time into training her and she is a great dog to be part of our family.
    They also need lots of mental stimulation not just physical to wear them out. We put her breakfast in puzzle balls and things where she has to work to get her food out so it takes her longer and slows down her eating because they tend to inhale their food.
    Good luck deciding. They are fabulous dogs. Also I joined a forum to talk to other lab owners which has been helpful with lots of things. If u want any more info just ask.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub