+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can buy Stevia from your local coles, woolies or even ALdi. It comes in a box of powered Stevia or you can get them in little tabs. Just go to the Sugar section. It is incredibly sweet...sweeter then sugar.

You can even buy a Stevia plant (its like a herb) and can chew on the leaves....so sweet!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm, I remember this topic coming up on another forum and people posted loads of links to studies that have been done showing artificial sweetners are safe. They are one of the most tested products in the world apparently!

But a friend who has a degree in health science and pharmacology never touches them as he says they are super bad for you.

I do use them but only minimally and not every day. My dentist recommends chewing sugar free gum for the health of your teeth though.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_N View Post
    You can even buy a Stevia plant (its like a herb) and can chew on the leaves....so sweet!!
    That would be a good idea! Crush the leaves into a paste & add it that way!

I might keep a look out for one too

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are slowly swapping to Stevia here. I have Natvia at the moment, which I think is a mixture of Stevia and Xyliltol.

You can get a voucher on the Natvia site for Coles and Woolworths. They are in the sugar isle

I am getting way away from any chemical sweeteners. I don't think the full effects will be known for years. A friend of mine who is a gastroenterologist has said on multiple occasions that in her opinion that they aren't safe and it will come out in the future.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    That would be a good idea! Crush the leaves into a paste & add it that way!

I might keep a look out for one too
    I read someone who just puts the leaf into her tea and drinks the tea Leaves the leaf at the bottom.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Artificial sweeteners?

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    It's pretty concerning though that alot of "numbers" are actually banned in some European countries but still allowed here. Australia is really really behind.
    Yes but as far as I'm aware this doesn't apply to aspartame.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Diet coke is essentially only chemicals. There are loads of very harmful additives in food here that the Aust Govt allows that other governments don't, or that have been proven to have side effects and cause illnesses.
    I'm aware if what diet coke is. I like it though, so until there is some reason not to, I'll keep having my 3-4 per week. Everything in moderation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Please don't be fooled by the "government deems them safe for consumption " argument, they also allow the sale of cigarettes ! As pp have said there are many food additives/preservatives banned in Europe that are still allowed here, it usually takes a few years for us to catch up!
    Natural is always best, stevia is a great way to start, common sense would tell you that drinking a can of chemicals a day can't be good for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yes but as far as I'm aware this doesn't apply to aspartame.
    Interestingly there are a few studies on aspartame by food safety authorities to be released in the next few years. Will be interesting to see the outcome of these.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would just try and cut the sugar out of your tea altogether - do it gradually, go from 1 teaspoon to just under, then 3/4, then 1/2 etc. I did this and now i can't even drink tea with sugar in it as it tastes too sweet. I adjusted to the taste of sugarless tea and now prefer it, DH did the same with coffee and it worked for him also.
    Give it a go, much better than artificial sweeteners.