+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Artificial sweeteners?

The only thing I really add sugar too is my tea and occasionally porridge (but it's usually honey in that) I drink a fair few teas throughout the day which with normal sugar rack up the calories pretty quick even with light milk. I've tried honey in it but it tastes foul to me hence I'm looking at artificial sweeteners because their low cal. Gah! I have no idea

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Artificial sweeteners?

Have you looked at Logicane? Or just having raw sugar instead of white?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    They have been deemed safe to use in foods. I'm not one to sit here and think the govt authorities are poisoning us all, there'd be no benefit in that for them, for starters! And I do love my diet coke But I also don't see any need to add extra chemicals to my drinks IYKWIM- I think we probably get enough of that in our diets anyway. Just wanted to clarify.
    It's pretty concerning though that alot of "numbers" are actually banned in some European countries but still allowed here. Australia is really really behind.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (29-08-2012),Stiflers Mom  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    They have been deemed safe to use in foods. I'm not one to sit here and think the govt authorities are poisoning us all, there'd be no benefit in that for them, for starters! And I do love my diet coke But I also don't see any need to add extra chemicals to my drinks IYKWIM- I think we probably get enough of that in our diets anyway. Just wanted to clarify.
    Diet coke is essentially only chemicals. There are loads of very harmful additives in food here that the Aust Govt allows that other governments don't, or that have been proven to have side effects and cause illnesses.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

faroutbrusselsprout  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

When you hear the words 'fat-free' and 'no sugar', think 'chemical sh1t storm'. Reason enough for me to avoid them.

Try cutting down the sugar a little at a time. If you have two spoons try 1.5 for a fortnight and slowly wean yourself down. Also maybe try substituting some of your teas with a naturally sweet herbal tea such as rosehip. I think twinnings does a range of fruit teas, which are delicious and don't require milk or sugar. It's basically sweet, calorie free warm water.

Thanks
    Reviews

I just did a quick google on the effects of AS. Splenda is made using chlorine amongst other things and was originally was intended as an insecticide until some lab guy discovered it was majorly sweet!

Ummm moving away from that idea now....

Where can I get stevia? Has anyone used xyliltol?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    Have you looked at Logicane? Or just having raw sugar instead of white?
    I refuse to have white sugar in the house already, we only have raw or Brown sugar. But even the cals in raw sugar I want to avoid if possible. I've never heard of logicane...what is it?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pinkplease3 View Post
    I refuse to have white sugar in the house already, we only have raw or Brown sugar. But even the cals in raw sugar I want to avoid if possible. I've never heard of logicane...what is it?
    It's meant to have lower GI than regular sugar. No added nasties etc.

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know you are worried about calories, but I'd be more worried about chemicals.

You are better to have one teaspoon of raw sugar in your tea than artificial sweeteners of any kind. The term 'artificial' should be the warning red light.

If you need more sugar just start at the amount you normally have then lower each week.

I.e. if you have two sugars in your tea:

week one:
    2 sugars each tea
    week two:
    1.5 sugars each tea
    week three:
    1 sugar each tea
    week 4:
    0.5 sugar each tea

would that work for you?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    I know you are worried about calories, but I'd be more worried about chemicals.

You are better to have one teaspoon of raw sugar in your tea than artificial sweeteners of any kind. The term 'artificial' should be the warning red light.

If you need more sugar just start at the amount you normally have then lower each week.

I.e. if you have two sugars in your tea:

week one:
    2 sugars each tea
    week two:
    1.5 sugars each tea
    week three:
    1 sugar each tea
    week 4:
    0.5 sugar each tea

would that work for you?
    The more I look into it, the more inclined I am to want to cut the sugar out of my tea completely if not next to none! I mean Stevia and xytitol are natural based sweeteners from what I can see but do I really want to be making that extra trip to a health food store just to sweeten my tea (at $20+ a kilo?)

I have 2 heaped teaspoons at the moment, so you could say 3.