+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Sick toddler what to do?

2 nights ago 2 year old DD vomited up all her lunch & dinner. She seemed happy enough so I thought maybe she just ate too much. Yesterday all she had all day was a carrot stick and boob. Refused everything else. Last night she vomited about 10 times, now she can't even keep the boob milk down. She wants to feed so badly coz obviously she is starving but if she can't keep it down should I stop feeding till her stomach feels better? I offered all her favourite foods this morning and she doesn't want them. She has a slight temp and is very sleepy, had 2 naps yesterday normally she doesn't nap at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

No more milk or dairy ... I would stick to foods like dry bikkies and toast ... Go to the chemist and get hydralyte (it's a drink that will stop her getting dehydrated)

Thanks
    Reviews

I've offered her biscuits & toast (normally some of her fave foods) but they got refused I'll give the hydralite a try though

Thanks
    Reviews

She will be dehydrated, you are beat to get her electrolytes up ASAP or she won't start feeling better if she vomitted 10 times.
    Hydralite at the chemist comes in many forms including ice pole which might be best for her as it is grosse :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Breastmilk isnt considered dairy so is still okay, but I would start by syringing her water every 5 minutes. Write it down so that it is exactly every five minutes and record any vomits. then as she tolerates it every five minutes increase the frequency. If she keeps vomiting after you have done this for a couple of hours take her to emergency. They will probs get you to repeat the syringing of water and if she is still sick will either start I've fluids or give he something to stop the vomiting.

We have lots of experience with this at our house. Hope she gets better.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennybaby For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Also agree that he ice blocks are great if they will eat them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Personally I'd take her to the Dr and get her checked out. Vomiting 10 times is a lot for anyone, let-alone a 2yo.

It's probably just a virus, but last time I thought my 2yo DS had a minor illness and treated him at home, we ended up in hospital on an IV for a fortnight! So yes, that is colouring my view on things, but I'd still get her checked out.

Thanks
    Reviews

I agree with pp, I would also take her to the Doctor or to Hospital if she can't keep fluids down. Little ones get dehydrated very quickly and it can cause serious damage.

Thanks
    Reviews

Well I tried the hydralite, had to syringe it as she wouldn't drink it or eat the ice block. Got 15mls in but it has all been thrown back up guess we will have to see a doctor. Poor thing just wants to sleep, she has been sleeping on and off all day normally she doesn't sleep at all!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Sick toddler what to do?

Poor little pet. She must feel so sick : ( And hugs to you mummy, it's awful to see them so ill and vomiting.

My DD had her first bout of gastro recently. She hated hydralite - flatly refused the drink and iceblocks - so I alternated syringing hydralite and water. Like your little one, my DD was also very lethargic from dehydration and exhaustion from the vomiting.

I hope you can get her into the doctor ASAP otherwise, don't hesitate to take her to emergency hun. Good luck. I hope she's better soon.