+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    What is your take on obese people on tv? Im talking people like on that show Mike and Molly. Is it wrong to show an unhealthy example? Is it ok because there are alot unhealthy thin people on tv and catwalks?

No trolling. Just interested in seeing peoples take on this.

ETA: If you arent bothered by it, does seeing very thin people on tv bother you? (just for comparison sake really)
    I personally think it's good to have people of different sizes on TV so that it normalises it. I think it's more important to teach children to eat/exercise healthy than they must stay thin thin thin. This is how people end up with eating disorders. You can have a really thin person who isn't healthy. When I was younger I was thin and I used to eat junk food galore. I may have been thin but I certainly wasn't healthy. I"m overweight now (caught up with me at 25) and I need to do more exercise but I certainly eat better than I did back then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't mind, Tbh. Although I do hate the sickly looking women on tv. One that comes to mind is Georgie Parker, in home and away, especially lately. Sometimes she just looks soo thin!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think there is a massive under representation of women of a healthy weight range on tv and in movies. The women who are larger in shows and movies are always the funny or quirky ones, never the leading lady or love interest, unless he too is funny or quirky. I also notice that there are a more over weight men on tv who are married to ultra tiny women, so it seems its ok to be a larger man more than a larger woman. I did read somewhere that the women on our screens have "had" to get smaller as the male actors are not big men generally, so for the men to look bigger, the women they are cast with, must be very tiny. I cant remember where I read that unfortunately. I also note that our perception of whats thin on tv/movies is very warped as we pretty much only see these types of people on our screens, so the women on Friends for eg. dont seem to be ultra tiny, or the women on Beverly Hills 90210 arent super skinny, BUT when we see them in a magazine next to a more normal sized person, or in a different outfit or on their own, it brings it all back into perspective and you think, Holy Smokes shes tiny!
    There is not one woman on tv or in a movie, who I can say, hey she looks like me. Not one, and Im neither a big woman, nor a thin woman.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The women on the new 90210 are itsy bitsy, and apparently they HAVE to be that way (or else). They're what I would class as super skinny.

I have no issues with really thin people being on TV because really thin people do exist IRL... but I don't like people HAVING to maintain a tiny size just for a job. It's not cool IMO. I'd rather they just had actors that were naturally whatever size they are... whether that means really thin or obese, or somewhere in between, I don't much care.

It does bother me to think that if a character on a TV show was the same size as me, she'd be considered "large," just because she'd be so much bigger than her co-workers... when IRL, I'm a size 12 these days so not particularly noteable either way (obese or skinny).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

missjess86  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Obese People On TV. WDYT?

I don't really get why people hate seeing super skinny or obese people on tv or anywhere. I'm naturally skinny and can eat anything without being able to put on weight, I even drink sustagen 3 times a day ontop of normal meals to put on weight because of all the "eat a burger" comments. It HORRIBLE having people judge you every day, CONSTANTLY because of being skinny, the same goes for overweight people who im sure have nastycomments as well. There are so many different body types people should just mind their own business and worry about themselves.

If you like a show then watch it, who cares if people are skinny or fat

Sorry for the rant but I'm so sick of hearing this sort of thing and woman being made to feel bad about how they look, or hearing other people say they get annoyed or angry seeing people like that on tv
    Last edited by missjess86; 29-08-2012 at 17:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If I don't like something I see I just turn it off.

No it doesn't bother me.

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i dont like seeing them on tv to be honest, im over weight my self and i dont like looking at my self in the mirror so im not going to enjoy seeing people that are over weight like my self on tv. TV shows are not reality they are fiction and fun if i want reality i would walk down the street

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nowhere For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Obese People On TV. WDYT?

Doesn't bother me unless they're there solely to be the butt of jokes.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ChickyBee For This Useful Post:

scarymarygoldfish  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd rather see someone obese (Roseanne -- great comedy in the day) than anorexic. I don't like watching stick-thin women at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't watch any of those shoes, we only have cable, so it's a mix of this and that, and then SBS and ABC... you know who I love to see on TV..Deborah Mailman, she is so gorgeous. I love her to bits. I miss The Secret Life of Us. But she's hardly obese, chubby. Who's on the other side..Georgie Parker..she's a thin little thing, with stringy hair, but still a good actress. I don't know, I don't watch enough telly nowadays to think about it.