+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Obese People On TV. WDYT?

What is your take on obese people on tv? Im talking people like on that show Mike and Molly. Is it wrong to show an unhealthy example? Is it ok because there are alot unhealthy thin people on tv and catwalks?

No trolling. Just interested in seeing peoples take on this.

ETA: If you arent bothered by it, does seeing very thin people on tv bother you? (just for comparison sake really)
    Last edited by London; 28-08-2012 at 21:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What is a healthy example though?

The VAST majority of tv show's feature very thin women. There are very few obese people in major tv shows.

I think it's probably refreshing to see a more "real" looking person on tv. Most people probably just laugh at Molly's gags, not think "oh i want to be like her, i better try to put on weight".

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    it doesn't bother me... i guess cos in real life, as opposed to tv life, we get all kinds of shapes of people..obese, thin, super thin, plump, muscular.. etc.. hope i make sense. lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm honestly not fazed.

Whilst no they aren't healthy it does show that not everyone succumbs to Hollywood's expectations.

TBH I'm not one of those people influenced by what I see on TV, infact I barely pay attention to appearances, I just watch the show!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MrsOhara View Post
    I'm honestly not fazed.

Whilst no they aren't healthy it does show that not everyone succumbs to Hollywood's expectations.

TBH I'm not one of those people influenced by what I see on TV, infact I barely pay attention to appearances, I just watch the show!
    I agree I just watch the show and pay not attention to size just as long as I enjoy it :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Just curious are you just talking about mike and Molly or obese people in general

Thanks
    Reviews

She could very well be more healthy than a skinny woman who hardly eats and smokes or binge drinks.

Using health as an excuse is bull.

It's great that they have bigger people on tv however it's a shame that is only a few shows and usually it's the token fat person rather than a lot of people all different sizes.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austmum For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (29-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't care much either way.

I do tend to enjoy programs that feature a more realistic cast, realistic meaning they're not all super-attractive, super-skinny, super-glam.

Chrissy Swan would be obese, technically, and she's on TV and I love her. Oprah would have been obese at times too, and she was pretty bloody popular.

I am not into body-hate of any kid. I think it's just as wrong to go "blah blah, stupid skinny b*tch," as it is to go, "rah rah, fat lazy slobs," etc... so I don't really hate the skinny on TV, though I am displeased that they are over-represented compared to anyone of a more average size, let alone someone considered overweight or obese.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    Just curious are you just talking about mike and Molly or obese people in general
    Obese people on tv. Mike and Molly was just an example.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I think it is good to show people of all different sizes.