+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We don't all sit down together at dinner either. We don't have the room. If we are home together on a weekend we do, we'll sit outside together on the outdoor setting, but not inside.

there's nothing wrong with baked beans and scrambled eggs! you could even make some spinach and cheese scrolls or something to serve them with (or as a snack).. and having a protein based meal at night is fine, as that is when your body is rebuilding muscle.

Can you ask them what they like? I know Oliver likes tuna pasta, Jordan likes burritos, Gabriel likes sausages, Julian likes instant noodles, Lysander eats anything.. So I rotate through a couple of those each week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default So sick of the dinner time struggle! *rant*

I can so relate, I dread dinner time DD is a nightmare. everyone says it would tell me don't give her treats, or snacks in between, all that sounds logical, but she just does not want to eat. I've let her go a whole day and hope she'd ask to eat but no nothing!

I've found if we do dinner after school 4-5ish it's better, I put a bear minimum in her plate, (pead. Told me spoon per year) so that's all I put in her plate, if she eats it we make a big song and dance about it, and she gets a treat. If she asks for seconds (maybe happens a couple times a year lol) it's like a party at our house lol.
    Then around 7ish it's fruit or yoghurt, or a smoothie on hot days, something light.
    Every different type of food must be tried if not theres no treat for 2 days regardless- she gets this now as shes older, and if she does not finish dinner no treat.
    I sort of consciously avoid big dinners- that's been my demon in the weight loss thing so I don't want her having my bad habits.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    In my house it's a bit the same- good eaters as babies (a wider range than me!) but now it's very limited, and they usually take one look at what I've cooked for dinner and decide then and there whether they will at least try it or not. (Frustrating because on the nights when I can get them to try it, they always like it.. so I serve it again the next week, only to go through all the drama again!)

Here's my process.

I cook the same meal for all. They get a sampler version if I know it's a meal that they won't immediately eat (eg spag bol is always a winner in our house, so they get decent portions of that). They must have at least 3 bites (because they're 3) and they must sample different things on their plate (if it's not an all in meal like a casserole or something)

If they still don't like it, they can have a sandwich. No dessert, unless fruit. (Dessert is usually only fruit anyway)

Each night before bed, they also get a vita-gummy (Natures Way brand) these are great because they help with all the goodies they are missing out on by not regularly eating their veggies. And I've noticed this winter since starting them on the gummies that they have not been NEARLY as sick as they used to be during winter... I used to have the the humidifier out all the time, and now I couldn't even tell you where it is.

Good luck, I hate the dinner struggle too!

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by FertileMertile View Post
    I thought they would cave too but this has honestly been going on for at least 12 months. As babies they were both great eaters and its like they have done a complete 180.

I dont keep any junk in the house as I cant control myself aaaand if I do I hide it well from the kids

As for bribery, I have tried that too. It sometimes works for DS1 who is 5 but my DS2 is 3 and has a speech delay (so does DS1) so there is no way he would even comprehend something like that. I have found over the past week DS2 has been a touch better as he has seen his big bro go to bed without dinner and well he just seems to be much better behaved without DS1 influencing him.
    It seriously took about 12 months her too!

I have been 'hiding' fruit in things since DD started finger food!

Purée's she'd eat anything, it was when I switched to finger food that she started turning her nose up.

Im sure I've written many posts about our food struggles. It can be SO frustrating

DDs only improved in the last few months.

Our daily diet looks like:

Weetbix, porridge or toast.
    Fruit snack (chopped up into small pieces)
    Salad sandwich (I call them rainbow sandwiches and i dice the salad up & DD sprinkles it on her bread)
    Veggie snack (carrots, beans, peas, broccoli etc chopped into sticks)
    Dinner- whatever we are having.

Usually we share a plate also. This was a huge help. Seeing me eat the same food & if she doesn't dig in, mummy eats it all

We also play with our food. Eg mummy's a big monster & the carrot men try to run away but mummy's going to get them ARRR Chomp chomp chomp

We sing songs about our food
    fruit salad-yummy yummy-
    I've got a lovely bunch of broccoli chucks-diddly diddly-there the are all standing in a row-yum yum yum-

DD also helps 'cook', I chop, she chucks them in & stirs, we check on things cooking together etc

Lol, I must sound like a nut,

As you can see, I went to great lengths and now meal time is a game we both enjoy. Sometimes she still refuses!

Last night it was 'I DON'T LIKE IT', I just shrug and tell her 'you do like it, you eat it all the time, try it or no abc' and walk away.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewTheEmu For This Useful Post:

FertileMertile  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by trishalishous View Post
    we dont make dinner time a drama. Im careful to serve at least one favourite (ie corn, macaroni, pineapple) and dinner is served. If it doesnt get eaten, no big deal. I refuse to beg. bribe or threaten, and Ive never spoon fed (we did BLW, so bub feeds themelves from the start)
    Dessert is usually fruit and yoghurt, but you dont get it if you havent eaten dinner.
    We also all sit down together and eat, so its a social event as well
    I also always make dinner which involves mostly only what I know they will like, they eat at 5, only have a piece of fruit after school and we only have water in our house.
    I have to make it a big deal as I'm not keen on health issues with my children, as it is DS4 is severely iron deficient when he doesn't eat his meat and vegetables, last year dropping to border line needing intervention thank god I threatened him with more needles and he began eating again.
    Not quiet sure what BLW has to do with it, all my kids are BLW babies and yet sometimes I have to sit and spoon feed my younger two just so they will eat in time to take the older one to school !!
    We also sit at the table together every night with tv off.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: So sick of the dinner time struggle! *rant*

I find by dinnertime the kids are tired and not overly hungry. I serve for them what we eat, and if it isnt eaten there is no food til bedtime. If you ensure daytime food is nutritious and plentiful I see no harm in them not eating dinner, I dont stress about it, they know the rules.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: So sick of the dinner time struggle! *rant*

I meant no food til breakfast time, not bedtime

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm changing dinners for the next fortnight. Seems the more effect I put into cooking, the less DS eats. So we having stuff like grilled chicken and lots of salads. Will be cooking up roast beef and corned silverside. Homemade chicken nuggets with vege mixed in. Hoping I can get DS eating more fruit and vegetables.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get your kids involved in the cooking process.

Whether it's handing them a bowl of raw vegies to 'stir' before you throw them in to be cooked, or giving them lettuce leaves to shred. Make them apart of the process so they can feel they have helped. It may make them want to eat it more then if it just 'appears' before them.

If they don't eat it at dinner, give it for brekky.. Then lunch.. Then dinner again...

Keep a tough stance on it and they will eventually learn. They must eat it.

And follow through with any 'threats' you make. If you say they will be punished for not eating, make sure you do it.

And at breakfast the next day, they should not be getting two servings of brekky to make up for dinner not being eaten.

Though, this is how I was raised. I am currently baking my own child, so we shall see if I can also do this tough love stance when the time comes lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone you all have some great suggestions! I am going to try a little trial and error I think and hopefully something will work

Quote Originally Posted by Nomsie View Post

Each night before bed, they also get a vita-gummy (Natures Way brand) these are great because they help with all the goodies they are missing out on by not regularly eating their veggies. And I've noticed this winter since starting them on the gummies that they have not been NEARLY as sick as they used to be during winter... I used to have the the humidifier out all the time, and now I couldn't even tell you where it is.
    I have started the kids on these a few months ago! They love them! I found out the hard way that I cant give them to the kids too late in the day as they do hype them up.

DS2 has fractured his leg twice (both very minor fractures) and I was worried he wasnt getting enough nutrition so now I give them the multi vitamins with veggies, the vit c and the omega 3. When he was in his cast I was giving them the calcium too. I couldnt recommend them enough!