+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Angry So sick of the dinner time struggle! *rant*

So as the title says im so sick of the dinner time struggle with my 2 DSs.

Every night they turn their nose up to what I cook but funnily enough they never say no to takeaway I dont think im a bad cook, in fact I think im a pretty good cook! I have tried all different types of dinners and frankly im sick of throwing out good food or giving it to the dog.

I literally have to spoon feed both of them and then its a struggle to get them to chew it. Over the past week DS1 has been put to bed without dinner 3 times. I never have a problem in doing this and he is quite happy to go to bed instead of being forced to eat his veggies but I do feel guilty and worry that he is not getting enough nutrition.

If you have ANY ideas please throw them my way as its really doing my freaking head in!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default So sick of the dinner time struggle! *rant*

I have no ideas hon, but just wanted to say I share your frustration! My DD1 (2 in a couple of weeks time) was a great eater and then slowly narrowed down what she would eat for dinner to pasta and cottage cheese ... I spent soooo many night cooking amazing things and in tears because she wouldn't eat them that I gave in and have just been feeding her pasta with cottage cheese! I try to also offer some veges with dinner and sometimes she eats these, but usually not ... But at least this way I am not in tears at the end of dinner ... I don't know if that is a bad thing to say and admit!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is the same we have nights were she will eat every thing and other she could be siting for 12/hour and not eat when she gets like that I make her eat say 3 spoon fulls peas 4 meat or what ever we r having at the time if she dose not eat what I say she gos to bed early. I never cook separate meals we all eat the same.Good luck with meal time try not to get to worked up as kids can play on this too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How frustrating!!
    I hope it's just a phase!
    However.....how much are they eating thru out the day?
    I'd start cutting out snacks inbetween meals and make arvo tea as early as possible like 3pm and then a "nothing else before dinner" rule?
    I agree it's not nice at all to force them to eat but the fact they are going off to bed quite content without dinner makes me think they are maybe full from eating too much thru out the day or too close to dinner time?

goodluck, i hope some other people on here can help you out a bit more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not that I wish this struggle on anyone but glad its not just me!

DS1 will always eat baked beans on toast so I admit I cave sometimes and just give it to him to save the arguments. DS2 loves scrambled eggs so if I want a sure meal I know I just have to give him that.

I was a fussy eater as a kid. My mum would go to the effort of putting food dye in my dinner as I refused to eat anything that wasnt pink or purple. I think thats bl00dy ridiculous that she used to do that and refuse to do that with my kids. Im a bit more of a 'tough love' person but thought with persistence it would eventually pay off. Well so I thought anyways

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunkamunka View Post
    How frustrating!!
    I hope it's just a phase!
    However.....how much are they eating thru out the day?
    I'd start cutting out snacks inbetween meals and make arvo tea as early as possible like 3pm and then a "nothing else before dinner" rule?
    I agree it's not nice at all to force them to eat but the fact they are going off to bed quite content without dinner makes me think they are maybe full from eating too much thru out the day or too close to dinner time?

goodluck, i hope some other people on here can help you out a bit more
    They actually arent big eaters at all. I dont do morning or afternoon tea but they will help themselves to fruit when they are hungry. I dont let them eat too close to dinner either as I know that would just make it even more of a struggle. Everytime they go to bed without dinner they just make up for it the next morning by having 2 serves of breakfast. Do you think I should limit their brekky the morning after?

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default So sick of the dinner time struggle! *rant*

My 2 yo DD is a picky eater too.

My only advice is "throw out ALL the junk" and then a bit.

My DD didn't touch fruit & veg until I forced her.. And by 'forced' i mean I offered her nothing but fruit & salad between breakfast & dinner time..

Sure enough she now eats everything.

Also bribery helps.

Tonight she refused to eat her dinner and demanded bread and butter. I told her she could have bread and butter only after she ate her dinner.

It still took 20mins reenforcement but it worked in the end.

I don't know how old your boys are, but my best advice is offer healthy meals at EVERY meal & be indifferent if they're too stubborn to eat

They'll cave eventually

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheEmu View Post
    My 2 yo DD is a picky eater too.

My only advice is "throw out ALL the junk" and then a bit.

My DD didn't touch fruit & veg until I forced her.. And by 'forced' i mean I offered her nothing but fruit & salad between breakfast & dinner time..

Sure enough she now eats everything.

Also bribery helps.

Tonight she refused to eat her dinner and demanded bread and butter. I told her she could have bread and butter only after she ate her dinner.

It still took 20mins reenforcement but it worked in the end.

I don't know how old your boys are, but my best advice is offer healthy meals at EVERY meal & be indifferent if they're too stubborn to eat

They'll cave eventually
    I thought they would cave too but this has honestly been going on for at least 12 months. As babies they were both great eaters and its like they have done a complete 180.

I dont keep any junk in the house as I cant control myself aaaand if I do I hide it well from the kids

As for bribery, I have tried that too. It sometimes works for DS1 who is 5 but my DS2 is 3 and has a speech delay (so does DS1) so there is no way he would even comprehend something like that. I have found over the past week DS2 has been a touch better as he has seen his big bro go to bed without dinner and well he just seems to be much better behaved without DS1 influencing him.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Don't stress it. Cook what YOU want to eat. Make enough for them. Serve them a little bit, they don't have to like it, they do have to taste it (same number of bites per year of age). If they don't like it, make them WAIT until you have finished your dinner... then give them toast or weetbix.

(that's the process in our house anyway)

OR

I have dessert... they only get dessert if they eat ALL the meal I cook.

AND... I try to have 5 out of 7 meals foods that I know they will like. 2 are new meals or foods they aren't overly keen on.

I just keep serving them, and telling them that their tastes change as they get older... one day they'll taste something they never liked before and they'll like it, and that's how they'll know they've matured

If you make sure they eat lots of fruit anf fresh foods throughout the day, don't stress too much over dinner.

Good eating practice says you shouldn't eat large meals at dinner anyway.. the bulk consumption of food should happen during the first 2/3 of the day.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Dont give them anything to eat after 4pm (our dinnertime is 6pm). Dont let them eat in front of the tv.
    Do they prefer 'seperate food', as in meat and veg sperate or do they prefer mixed food, as in stew, bolognaise?
    My kids prefer sperate food so thats what i cook. They dont eat stew, pie or pasta (except the pasta). They will however eat bolognaise and lasagne so i hit veg in that...crated carrot, mush, zuchini, spinach/silverbeet even grated brocolli and cauli sometimes.
    I figure if the eat one of my bolognaise meals once a week its all good.
    They eat fruit pretty much all day so im not too worried about it. I just dont give them anything 'junky' if i think they havent had enough good stuff.
    I know its hard but remember kids only eat when they are hungry!!!