+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Are you a lawyer? I find that law is particularly unsympathetic to illness or any weakness, and you get a lot of war stories about going into labour at work, or returning the next day etc.

Can you negotiate part time? I am working up to 39+3 this time (3 work days left!), but only work 3 days a week (I have another child), and I have found that it is helped to have a couple of days of being at home during the week has allowed me to recover for my work days. It might be a compromise to finishing up early.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Harden up!

As in, once your child is born, and you go back to work, you will get the same looks/whispers and gossip as now, whenever you have to leave early or take a day off to care for your sick child.

So stuff em. Take all the time you need (or your Dr suggests).

The plus side is, they have to learn how to cope without you very soon. So why not start 'training' them now?

Just take a step back from all the emotion of it all. Look at it in a more logical way, and you will soon see that it is their problem, and not yours, if you need to take sick days.

I really hope you can take that step for yourself, and perhaps enjoy the rest of your pregnancy, rather then struggle through it.

Personally though, if I had that many sick days, I would use nearly all of em up, then take maternity leave.. Easy as pie...

Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Just so over work, suddenly stopped coping

Quote Originally Posted by MsImpatient View Post

Personally though, if I had that many sick days, I would use nearly all of em up, then take maternity leave.. Easy as pie...

Good luck!

I would do this too!!

In my time I have been used, made to feel guilty and rorted royally by that many bosses and workplaces that I would do everything and anything to take care of myself and my baby first!!

They don't care that you feel like crap, so why should you care that they'll be one person down??

Being pregnant is every woman's right and you are legally protected, so take the time, all of it in my opinion, and screw them!!

I haven't worked since I feel pregnant, purely coincidental! But I honestly have no idea how all of you amazingly strong and capable women do it!! I would have given up ages ago!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi!
    I am also 28 weeks preggers and OVAH it!
    I work in an office and my dept has just shut down so I am being given sh it menial data entry tasks and it blows- the day goes soo slow.. but DP was like- suck it up! Can't wait to finish up in 4 weeks so I can spend some time with DS before the new DS arrives! I am finishing at 33 weeks as I have high BP- I still feel guilty finishing that early but mah who cares. Last time I literally finished on the friday and had DS 3 weeks early on the sunday. It sucked. If I had sick leave which I dont because I already used it up LOL I would use it OP!!! Like someone else said NO ONE will thank you for NOT taking it! All the best!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to hopefulmama2b For This Useful Post:

Sally1981  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    MsMummy - yep, lawyer, or at least I'm trying to be! I had a settlement conference a couple of weeks ago and during the course of the haggling, I got this sudden urge to just say 'who cares? In the overall scheme of things, is any of this worth it? Just pay them the money so we can leave'. Thankfully I didn't

You've all really put this into perspective for me! Especially the fact that no one will ever thank me for not taking sick leave. They just don't care. It's funny, during the antenatal classes we get told that pregnancy is not a sickness. Part of me always wants to ask that they stop telling people that, because it reinforces the impression that we shouldn't take sick leave for it!

And MsImpatient, I think you're right, I should get used to this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post

And MsImpatient, I think you're right, I should get used to this.
    I did not mean to sound harsh btw!!

While it's not 'right' that the staff treat you in that way, it is what it is...

(perhaps you can go all lawyer on their asses? :P)

Let us know how you go!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Just so over work, suddenly stopped coping

sally1981, I find being heavily pregnant good motivation and leverage to get those pesky matters resolved. A client was putting off giving me instructions, and I tapped my bump and told them time was of the essence now, lol.

Seriously though, just do what you need to do re leave. It'll never really be enough to keep your employers happy anyway, as you've already inconvenienced them by procreating. Obviously I am at the end of my tether and ready to take leave!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing I feel your pain take some sick days your body and baby need it your more important and so is your baby then what people perceive as being weak etc they can work up until they want that's their choice we are all unique

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know how you're working so late MsMummy! I'm stopping at 36 weeks and I take my hat off to you. Don't you just love this industry? (I usually do but right now) It's been explained to me that my budget will be pro rata'd to the date I'm leaving and I'm expected to reach it (just quietly, I won't reach it). That's the trouble, really, even when you're not busy, you're still busy because of the billings.

MsImpatient, I'm a straight shooter, so nothing is too harsh when it's true. And you're right. This won't stop at the end of my maternity leave, it'll continue with childcare responsibilities.

I've decided to take a long weekend at the end of September. Leave is applied for, nothing is going to stop this

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (31-08-2012)