+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Maternity leave and government payments

Hi ladies.

Looking for some advice...

I found out today that I'm not eligible for may leave from my work.

I've read up on the baby bonus and parental leave and had a quick question about those... Is the parental leave almost double the baby bonus payment???

Also. Wondering if there's anything else you can claim after the parental payment comes to an end??

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated as I've been reading up on it all say and I feel like I'm going cross eyed!!

Thanks
    Reviews

I would like to know too :-) thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

PPL is more gross but is classed as income and taxed appropriately.

Thanks
    Reviews

PPL works out at about $9000 (approx) in the hand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Maternity leave and government payments

Bb is $5k (tax free), ppl is a bit over $10k (taxable). As ppl is income, it will affect eligibility for other payments like ftb.

you have to calculate it depending on your situation. Eg, I worked out I was better taking ppl.

You may be eligible for ftb and pp depending on family income, but the threshold is very low for pp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Maternity leave and government payments

Everyone's ppl will be different, as what you earn over the whole financial year determines your tax rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In most cases ppl works out better. But if you go on centrelinks website their is a calculator you can use. You answer some questions and then it tells you whether you are better off with ppl or baby bonus. Mine came back at like $170 better off with ppl but I put in my normal taxable income which I won't be getting for the whole year so I think it should be better off more than that.

Thanks
    Reviews

PPL is classed as income and must be included as income in your tax return. You pay tax on the money and depending what you are entitled to with family tax benefit A & B, the PPL could push you over the income threshold.

The Baby Bonus is not taxable, does not go in your tax return so can't affect other payments you may be eligible for. BB does have an income cut off so if you and your partner earn over a threshold in the 6mths after bub is born you are not eligible. You need to estimate your income post birth for the 6 months. (the threshold is pretty high but can't recall what it is).

You may need some financial advice to see which option is better for your situation.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo77 View Post
    BB does have an income cut off so if you and your partner earn over a threshold in the 6mths after bub is born you are not eligible. You need to estimate your income post birth for the 6 months. (the threshold is pretty high but can't recall what it is).
    $75k I think is the cut off

Centre link calculators can do a comparison to see which you would be better of claiming.