+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Routines for 5 month olds

aaaarghh!!! I'm going mad! Why can't babies come with user manuals?!!!

My 5 month old DS is in no routine, and getting him to take naps longer than 40 minutes is impossible! I wouldn't mind the catnaps but he is so cranky all the time!
    I tried letting him find his own routine, with a bit of guidance, but it seems to change every day!
    His bedtime routine is good and he goes to sleep for the night quite well but daytime is a different story altogether!

I go back to work in two weeks and really want to use this time to get him in as much of a routine as I can!

I'm not a Tizzie Hall fan and not a CIO or CC fan! I have read No-Cry books and find them helpful but I need more direction with routines!!!

DS can't stay awake more than 1.5hrs and is on solids already. But even feeds (bottle and solids) are really irregular!

Can anyone give me any suggestions??!! Please!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Routines for 5 month olds

If you like routines try Babybliss by Jo Ryan. There isn't any cio/cc involved and she gives more direction than ncss.
    She has a website too and you can download the routines for free. The book goes into more detail though about trying to get your baby yo self settle and extending naps.

I had a catnapper til 8 months and I can imagine how hard it would have been to go back to work.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Routines for 5 month olds

Sorry, no help here. 5mths DD also has 45min max naps (I have tried everyones advice to no avail since this started around 9wks) but she is now very content to stay up 2hrs so we loosely have a nap around 9, 12 & 3, bath & bed at 6pm

Good luck with trying to sort something before heading back to work

Sent from my HTC Liberty using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Catnapping is terrible isn't it? My 5.5mth old son is the same. We follow a routine for feeding which I enforced based on a few books I read (which all pretty much had the same timings)- and in the last few weeks have worked out one for his naps my son guided me towards. I just kept track of tired signs etc. basically he bottle feeds at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 6pm. We don't do any night feeds anymore. When he was feeding it was when he woke at night (usually btw 1am-3am) we now do solids also at about 1.30pm and sometimes at 5pm (depending on naps). Nap times are at 9am, noon, 2pm and usually 4.30ish. I'm trying to encourage a longer nap at lunch. I just try work them around the feed times, as I know it's about 2 hours awake time now. Sometimes he will fall asleep during his 11am bottle which I just go with and re-adjust sleep times. Hope this helps give you an idea.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bubblybell For This Useful Post:

cnic  (25-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I tried to start the EASY routines since that is a bit more flexible but I must've been doing something wrong because he wouldn't sleep when tired because he was hungry! I was so tired I couldn't work out how to fix that problem so I just sacked that idea and now I'm back to square one!!!
    He has a viral infection ATM so it's useless starting anything just now but I need to sort something out soon!!!!
    Thanks for the replies!! Keep them coming!!
    I'll have a look at babybliss now!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sons 5 months and up until 3 days ago was a grumpy all day cat napper. He's never napped in his cot of a day.. I don't know why, he's great of a night. So I'd let him nap in his swing or bouncer. 5 days ago he started getting really bad, he'd scream all afternoon it was horrible. After 2 days I had an idea, on day 3 at 12pm I put him in our bed, propped up on DHs pillow with something under the ends (so he can't roll) he slept for 3 hours! And again yesterday. He's sleeping better at night too. I guess our bed smells like us and it's dark in there, maybe he's finally getting the quiet and dark t get the rest he needs. He still might have 2 or 3 20 min cat naps a day but is a different child. Obviously the solution may be very different for your bub but that's what helped us. Try a few different things
    when he's in there though I use the monitor n check on him very regularly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I started with doing a bedtime routine so bath bottle bed ending at 7pm
    then started his bottles so ot was every 4 hours so 7 11 3 7pm. Then solids between that so i give brekky around 730..8 then he is tired so nap.. Then for the day whenever i see he is tired i put him down for a nap
    I just keep the feeding and bedtime routine. it took about 4 days and it was easy and ds also started sleeping better at night.. but Yeh still a bad day sleeper..