+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Need help getting myself back to sleep after night feeds!!!!!

As the title suggests I am really struggling getting back to sleep between my DD's 1am and 4am night feeds. For some reason despite being ridiculously tired my mind is racing at a mile a minute when I lay down after feeding and this combined with the grunting etc coming from the bassinette next to me keeps me up till the next feed.

This is getting ridiculously tiring & I find that by 6-6.30 when DD wants to get up for the day I just want to lay in bed.

I've tried counting sheep, relaxing all the muscles in my body conciously, emptying my mind etc etc but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any tips on getting yourself to zone out again so I can get some much needed sleep?

Cheers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Hey! I used to do that too! I hated myself for not being able to go back to sleep.

I found I actually fared better by giving in - not pushing myself to sleep straight away. I.e. half an hour - 1hr of reading or something, and then a few hours sleep was better than 3-4hrs spent laying in bed wishing I could sleep.

It depends on how you are, but reading doesn't 'stimulate' me, and I can easily fall asleep after a little read, so I would just read until i felt sleepy. The other thing I would do if that didn't work was play music very quietly through my phone and put my phone under my pillow, or put in one earbud. I picked songs that I found relaxing and didn't get stuck in my head on repeat (I listened to a lot of Jewel! Lol).

Good luck, it's so frustrating!
    Last edited by Daydream Believer; 28-08-2012 at 18:00.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daydream Believer For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yep, you know how they say a too tired baby is hard to get to sleep? So is a too tired mummy.

Just get your thyroid checked - turned out I had an overactive thyroid which made it like trying to sleep on speed. Also, do you jump on your phone or watch tv during the night feed? I totally understand why but the light is stimulating to your brain and does send out a "wake up" signal - which is worse if you have no proper body clock or sleep cues because of such broken sleep.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I drink a few cups of relaxing or sleepy tea (sweet dreams from T2) every evening and it works for me. Also if you write down what you are thinking of overnight - you might sleep better as then you can't forget it.

Good luck

Or I tend to wake DH for sex if all else fails. If I'm going to be awake I might as well wake him up too!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Need help getting myself back to sleep after night feeds!!!!!

I used to write to family with a dim light on. The low light and having to focus on what I was writing would empty my head real quick and I'd nod of in half an hour.
    DS was feeding every 2 hours though so I was stuffed anyway.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie Stackedhouse For This Useful Post: