+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Advice on introducing solids at 4 months

Hi all

My DD's ped recommended starting to introduce solids at 4 months - something I know nothing about and I'm finding the whole idea a bit daunting to be honest so am seeking any advice you experienced mums can offer!!

Things like:
    *what is baby lead weaning - have heard the term but don't know what it means
    *is it better to puree your own food and freeze servings vs buying the organic pouches/jars (or vice versa) - why & which do you recommend
    *how much/when/how to start introducing foods
    *what is pureeing and how do I do it/what equipment do I need?
    *anything else I need to be aware of

Sorry bout all the questions but I am totally in the dark with this stuff

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi KathyP,

If you have a look at the Children's Hospital at Westmead's website they have some good parent fact sheets including one on introducing solids.

Their website is: www.chw.edu.au

I hope this is helpful! :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chazrity For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Talk to you MCHN - our local centre runs an info session each month on starting solids.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Toomanyboys For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love BLW (baby led weaning). I cant recommend it highly enough. With my first two I did the whole rice cereal to start with, then pureed everything then slowly introduced bits at 8 mo, etc.

I found both my boys (particularly DS1) extremely fussy with foods.

With DD (she is 9mo now) I started BLW at 6 months and its been awesome not worrying about food. Basically she eats whatever we eat like toast, bread, pasta, meat..she loves steamed veggies. Anything she can pick up and hold she eats. Its a pleasure watching her eat! If you are interested in BLW I would check out teh website for more info.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FluffyDucks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by kathyp View Post
    Hi all

My DD's ped recommended starting to introduce solids at 4 months - something I know nothing about and I'm finding the whole idea a bit daunting to be honest so am seeking any advice you experienced mums can offer!!

Things like:
    *is it better to puree your own food and freeze servings vs buying the organic pouches/jars (or vice versa) - why & which do you recommend

Sorry bout all the questions but I am totally in the dark with this stuff

Thanks in advance!!
    Hi there! we did baby led weaning with my daughter because she totally refused purée food. Generally it's started around 6 mths of age and it's basically the child feeding themselves, it can be really messy! Dd had lots of finger food, sandwiches cut into fingers, baked carrot, zucchini, sweet potato sticks so it was soft and she could just gum it, boiled veg like broccoli. Mashed potato, just thick so she could pick it up and it, fruit cut in fingers, biscuits etc. I loved blw we basically skipped that whole purée stage and went straight to solids.

I think it's better to purée your own food, it's easy and cheap and tastes better. As I said I blw with dd but I still made my own purée and froze it before I realised she wouldnt eat it. Id boil up a heap of veg or hard fruit like apples, whizz it in the food processor with a little of the water it boiled in and pop it in an icecube tray to freeze. As you need it just pop one or two cubes out and heat up.

Maybe start one solid meal a day after milk so she isn't starving hungry and increase as she eats more and give before milk. Best to start off with farex or some sort of rice cereal mixed with breastmilk/formula. Also it's helpful to give bubs a spoon to hold while you feed so she isn't constantly grabbing at the one you feeding her with, bub may spit it out to begin with but just be consistent!

Ok well I hope that novel helped lol an awesome book to invest in is 365 recipes for babies, toddlers and children by bridget wardley and Judy more. It talks about first foods, weaning, essential nutrients, food combining, feeding issues plus is full of recipes from first foods to school age.

Good luck with your food journey :-)

Eta: my dd is now two, she eats mostly what we eat and is an awesome eater. Loves veggies especially!
    Last edited by melimum; 28-08-2012 at 20:31.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to melimum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any reason why your pead suggested 4 months? Usually it's not reccomended until 6. I certainly wouldn't try BLW at 4 months. Maybe just start with the raffetys 4+ months or cooked puréed pumpkin and apple. My DS wouldn't touch solids until 7 months BTW.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lil M For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (01-09-2012),me+he&she=three  (29-08-2012),~BEXTER~  (01-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    Any reason why your pead suggested 4 months? Usually it's not reccomended until 6. I certainly wouldn't try BLW at 4 months. Maybe just start with the raffetys 4+ months or cooked puréed pumpkin and apple. My DS wouldn't touch solids until 7 months BTW.
    there has been more research to suggest that starting solids at 4 months is more benneficial than startingh at 6 months. the doctors, mchn have all told me to start at 4 months (bub is just over 5 months) and i did and wouldnt wait till 6 montbs for the next bub because bub is loving food and was ready.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeySeeMonkeyDo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    there has been more research to suggest that starting solids at 4 months is more benneficial than startingh at 6 months. the doctors, mchn have all told me to start at 4 months (bub is just over 5 months) and i did and wouldnt wait till 6 montbs for the next bub because bub is loving food and was ready.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeySeeMonkeyDo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

[QUOTE=kathyp;6796661]

BLW is where you wait until 6 months ( when baby is physically ready) to start solids and skip the purees , mainly giving a variety finger foods, as pp have said its a great way to wean but 4 months is way to early and i recommend buying the book by Gil Rapley , by 8 months my son was pretty much eating what we were

As mentioned I never puréed but if I did I would make all my own organic ones so I know exactly what is in it and how it has been cooked ( jarred /pouch food has been cooked to high heats so not sure how much nutrients would be lost)

I believe it's best to wait until 6 months when they are physically ready, there is absolutely no rush so it would be interesting to know why your pead wants you to start at 4 months

If you were to purée I would steam all the veggies ( this us the best way to retain nutrients) all you need is a steamer attachment to go over your saucepan or you can buy a steamer
    Then stick blend the cooked veggies until soup consistency , freeze in portions

I would not give farex/rice cereal at any age, it basically has no nutritional value ( refined carbs) and I don't believe starting your baby on packet processed food while we have an abundance of fresh food available is a good way to start!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

We started our DS on solids at 4 and a half months because he was putting everything in his mouth, was so hungry all the time and I just felt like he seemed ready for it!!! I'm a first time mum so have no experience either!!

Basically we just purée veggies by peeling, chopping and dicing them up into small pieces and putting them in a sieve over a pot of boiling water to steam them until soft. Once soft, put in a blender for 10 seconds or so until these no more 'bits' in it!!
    We then let it cool down and fill up the ice cube trays with it so that it's in manageable portions! When we need it, we just pop out two cubes and defrost in microwave! It's so easy! We did buy the Raffertys stuff but I was a bit put off by how they mix fruit and veggies together! I know it's fine, it's just that I wouldn't eat apples mixed with sweetcorn and whatever else!!! :-)

DS loves all his food, I think he'd eat a scabby horse if I put it in front of him!!!!! :-O

One thing I would recommend is the Avent first feeding spoon, it's slim and easy for babe to eat from!

Good Luck!!!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2Ruairi For This Useful Post:

me+he&she=three  (31-08-2012)