+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sterile water injections for back pain in labour?

Absolutely terrible pain. Horrible. And it happens twice, two needles at once. Excruciating.

However, the pain did go away and it was easier pretty quickly.

But that pain. I would never do it again though. Yes it worked but that pain. It stressed me out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got them as I had horrible back pain when I was in labour, my contractions felt like a knife was in my back. The water injections did hurt I did scream, the midwife said it would be like a bee sting, try swarm of wasps lol! They did get 2 midwives to inject them at the same time so I guess that was better than getting 4 separate injections. However the injections immediately took away my back pain so I would defiantly recommend them and get them again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Re: Sterile water injections for back pain in labour?

Lol bee sting. If the bee is the size if a house cat!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Sterile water injections for back pain in labour?

Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Lol bee sting. If the bee is the size if a house cat!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Lol, so true!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Sterile water injections for back pain in labour?

Quote Originally Posted by wherewerewe91 View Post
    Never been in labour, but my friends and I tried the sterile water injections just to see what it feels like.... (midwifery students, and no uni did not let us do it, did it at home after a bottle of wine.....)

holy jesus they hurt, like a bee sting not that i've ever been stung by a bee. But then I wasn't in labour and didn't have any pain that i wanted them to relieve hehe.

You're supposed to do 2 at a time at the height of a contraction (the plan being the contraction distracts you from the injection...)

You also need to have 8/10 back pain otherwise it isn't worth it supposedly. I've seen a variety of reactions from the woman who didn't flinch or make any noise (her back was covered in tattoos though....) to women with the scream the house down pain.

The pain does go away after a few minutes, and the idea of them is to get rid of the back pain so you don't feel like you need morphine/pethidine/epidural for the back pain if your going okay with the labour pain if that makes sense?

I guess it can't hurt to try and if it doesn't work, then it doesn't work.....
    Oh, thanks for that info. I'm actually a nurse myself so when you hear the painful, there is painful then there is like LA Bicillin IMI injection painful! Why do u think they're so painful? They are intradermal aren't they? .1 ml?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would recommend them. They told me that it stung like hell and I thought they were exaggerating. I was in so much pain that I couldn't imagine it would even register! It did really sting but was over quickly and the back pain went completely for me which made the labour much more manageable. I only remember having one though. It was a trial and I think you either got one or 4. Pretty sure I would have asked for drugs if I hadn't had it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had them but I don't remember them being painful. I think I was transitioning at the time so I was pretty out of control anyway.
    After reading these posts though maybe I should be blaming the needles and not the transition

Thanks
    Reviews
    My nurses were great. Both of them held two needles and injected the water at the same time at the peak of my contraction I felt no pain from it - well.. the contraction pain dampened the injections pain, I guess

So, if you want it, ask for two nurses doing it at the same time at the peak of your contraction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A friend of mine had them and described them in the exact same way as Boobycino.

BUT for her they were worth it as they stopped the pain between contractions meaning she didn't then require any further intervention, such as an epidural. So I suppose if you were determined to have as natural a birth as possible this intervention could prevent further, more invasive intervention making it more worthwhile

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow.. now im scared.. I swear i was going to get these. I wanted them in my first labor but forgot all about them... and then this time round i swore that i will have it over the epi.. but now.. hmmm...