+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I have a job interview!!!!!

Ok, now that I am a single mum, its time to work... eeek.

so I have applied for lots of jobs and today I got a call and had to do a 25 minute phone interview..

I got a call back for a group interview ...TOMORROW!!!!

I am so nervous.. what do I wear?
    I have been sent 6 pages of info on the company and he said make sure I really read it... ahhhhhhhhh

The interview is one and a half hours and will involve all different parts..

shaking and nervous..

any advice?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No advice but I just wanted to say congratulations on your interview and good luck for tomorrows interview also.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow, I'm so sorry to read that you and your partner have broken up. I hope you're ok?

I would wear something that you're comfortable in. For me, i would wear pants and a smart top. The most important thing is to be yourself and answer as honestly as you can!

All the best and goodluck. Let us know how you go!

xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fabulous, congrats, and good luck!!

Do you have a suit? Or nice long pants with a collared shirt? Or skirt/shirt/heels?

I'd be googling the company and finding out as much as you can about them.
    Remember Group Interviews are usually just bunches of prospective candidates that are asked to work together, usually for problem solving stuff. The boss is usually trying to work out what you'd be like in a group situation - are you the leader, or making suggestions, or do you sit back and let someone else make decisions? - something to think about for tomorrow.

Anyway, rambling now.. Good luck!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyskies For This Useful Post:

disco86  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congratulations!

What to wear depends on the company dress code. Dress like you would if you worked there, but if they dress casually then smarten it up a bit.

So, if they wear suits then wear a suit. If they wear shirt and skirt/ trousers then do that, but consider a jacket.

If they're corporate then make sure you wear tights/ stockings and no bare legs.

If they're funky/ trendy then dress funky but keep it smart.

Hard to say without knowing their culture/ dress code.

Prepare as much as you can. Read the literature, google them, and read their website. If you can drop in something about an award they've won, or something relevant to their industry, then it's brownie points for you.

Stay on topic. Never badmouth an ex company or role. And prepare a few questions to take in with you, as they will inevitably ask for those at the end.

Prepare for the difficult questions, like why you left previous companies, and what your weaknesses are.

Make sure you are 'on duty' from the second you pull up in the carpark until you have left the premises. In other words, no smoking in the carpark (for example), getting dressed/ primping next to the car, being too casual with a receptionist.

And remember that you are interviewing them too, to see if you want to work there. So try to relax and view it that way. Also bear in mind that most interviewers don't really want to wade through a million candidates. They WANT you to be the right person for the job, so all you have to do is show that to them. They are not out to trip you up.

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you guys are all so helpful!!!!

Thank you!
    Its for a very well known airline so easy to google and find out stuff!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would definitely go smart for an airline

Think up an answer for the question "What made you specifically want to work for XYZ Airline?" too. This kind of question is really common, and saying "Um I applied to everyone" probably isn't the answer they're after. (Not that I think you would say that!) It's a good opportunity to bring out some fact that you've read about them... like "I've wanted to get into the industry for years, but when I researched the companies and the opportunities open to me, what really appealed about your company was that you value XYZ/ the emphasis you place on ABC/ your staff development programme/ your history of blah blah blah." And so forth.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I would definitely go smart for an airline

Think up an answer for the question "What made you specifically want to work for XYZ Airline?" too. This kind of question is really common, and saying "Um I applied to everyone" probably isn't the answer they're after. (Not that I think you would say that!) It's a good opportunity to bring out some fact that you've read about them... like "I've wanted to get into the industry for years, but when I researched the companies and the opportunities open to me, what really appealed about your company was that you value XYZ/ the emphasis you place on ABC/ your staff development programme/ your history of blah blah blah." And so forth.

Ohhh of course...
    They want their ego stroked huh?

so saying cause you offer really good staff travel is probably not best!

Gotta go get my Richard Branson biography out haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dot point the information they give you that you find relevant, including the good and bad bits. They never see it, but I find it helps me organise my thoughts.
    Dot point your good and bad traits, so what you can bring to their company to improve on their bad point(Though don't refer to it as a bad point in the interview. Lol), and accentuate the good ones.
    Dot point what your strength and weaknesses are, then how you apply your strengths to a business, and how you plan to turn your weaknesses into strengths for the business.
    Be calm, confident and smiling, even if you feel like you're gonna puke from nerves.
    Go into the interview believing you have the job, you just have a few bits to iron out. Don't be cocky, but I find it helps me to be confident.
    Pick a point in their mission statement, or all of them, and see if they relate to you, something you're passionate about, how their values match yours, etc.
    Dress smart. Nice black pants, button up shirt and a jacket. If it's for an air line, you need to prove that you can look the part as well as act it.
    Always speak clearly. Don't mumble. Look at the people you're in the interview with, keep your back straight, shoulders back and lifted. Don't slouch.
    Remember, you're always on display, so interract with the other people well. Introduce yourself, shake hands, smile, whether it's with the interviewer or the other people attending the group interview.
    Memorise your resume, so if they bring up any points, you know exactly what they're talking about and can reply.
    Always be willing to learn, and if it comes up, make it a point that you are.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

Ishtyban  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Good luck!!

I think its always good to shake hands, make eye contact, always say your name and ask questions.

i recently sent this to a friend. Don't click on all of the questions, too many! Just pick a couple and you could have a few ideas in your head before the interview.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interv...rviewquest.htm

most importantly, try to relax and be yourself! That's what they want to see