+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I guess i want to say is, your fears are perfectly normal, especailly cos your quite young too.
    I was petrifed for labour/birth etc and did consider c-section. Even though birth/labour was the hardest thing ive ever done im so glad i did it. I couldnt imagine the recovery surguery and general allertness of what what going on during a c-section.
    During birth and labour your blistfully unaware of wats happening, your body is just doing it, even stiching up etc i was so high on the gas i was in a daze and couldnt have cared less
    Do lots of research on c-sections (it is MAJOR surgery) and birth and talk to everyone who will listen .
    You are still very early on in your pregnancy and you may change your mind.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an appt at gold coast hosp last week and the moment I mentioned to the midwife I wanted elective csect ( hip complications and fear of natural birth after having my daughter) she shut me down and mad me feel horrible for asking. She was also quick to point out my age to me.im 22 and was 18when my daughter was born. It was like she was trying to imply I was wanting a csect because of my age, However I then spoke to the doctor during same appt and explained my fears (got emotional and cried) and I have been referred to the hospital phsyc for assessment for a csect. My appy is on tues. i will private msg u and let u no what it is like, what they ask etc. please don't listen to people telling u how bad c sect is..yes it's risky it's a major surgery but a natural is risky too...not as risky but every procedure has possibilities for complications. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mummy and bubbles View Post
    please don't listen to people telling u how bad c sect is.
    Why wouldn't you want to hear the bad and the good side to things????

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (05-09-2012),Super Trooper  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post
    Why wouldn't you want to hear the bad and the good side to things????
    Firstly I don't think she is after people's opinions on a c-section.... she is asking how to elect for one!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by katzdreams View Post
    Firstly I don't think she is after people's opinions on a c-section.... she is asking how to elect for one!!
    Okay - but yet when she goes to the hospital they are going to explain to her the good and the bad pro's and cons of a c/s. Makes sense to be informed IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Having trouble getting an elective caesarean?

My advice is know that you want it, do your research and be confident and assertive that it is what you want. It helps to have a gp on your side who can write you a supportive letter for your ob. This is what I did and I didn't back down. I'm having an elective c section next month that was booked in at 30 weeks pregnant because i was adamant it was what I wanted due to emotional and anxiety related issues.

I asked them (midwives and ob) straight if they could tell me I would be fine 100% if I ha a vaginal birth. Of course they couldn't and I said I would be more willing to accept the risks to the birth I wanted (c section) than a vaginal birth I felt forced to have by medical staff. They understood and were happy that I had done so much research into the procedure beforehand which proved to them I hadn't taken the decision lightly. They were aware that I had educated myself on vaginal birth also and still felt that a c section was the way I wanted to go.

Further supporting my wishes is te fact that I don't want to have a lot of kids, 2 maximum so they were happy with that as they try not to do so many c sections for the one mum in future pregnancies.

I too was scared I wouldn't be allowed to have a c section especially in the public system but because I'd never imagined I would give birth any other way and had so much anxiety, depresses thoughts, nightmares constantly etc about a vaginal birth they set me up to see the head ob and he agreed to do the surgery. They have an obligation to act in the best interests of the mother so If you convince them it is the best thing for you they will certainly consider it.

Ignore the negative comments, you will always get people who are pro natural birth who will argue the point with you or not understand, some are very judgemental. Just educate yourself and seek to do what it is you want.

Goodluck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think, that if the OP is adament she wants a c section, then no one is trying to convince her otherwise, just to ensure she is fully informed!
    I wanted one when I was first pregnant with DS. Labour scared me. But then the thought of being cut open scared me more in the end and I wanted to be able to get up and be mobile straight after birth so I was adament for natural and even thought DS was born early and was in distress and they were all ready for me to go into surgery, he came out naturally and I was so happy! I can't understand why someone would want to have a c section for their first, knowing that they may not be able to have a vbac. My sister had to have two c sections for medical reasons and is very resentful she wasnt able to have natural. I have a few complications with this bub and won't go to term and I am the opposite to you, PETRIFIED of a c section LOL but in the end, whatever needs to be done for the health of my baby as I think that is the most important thing, not choices. It is funny that in the past there was no c section options was there? it was only if needed?
    Anyway, I digress, good luck OP, with the pregnancy and with birth.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Having trouble getting an elective caesarean?

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmama2b View Post
    I think, that if the OP is adament she wants a c section, then no one is trying to convince her otherwise, just to ensure she is fully informed!
    I wanted one when I was first pregnant with DS. Labour scared me. But then the thought of being cut open scared me more in the end and I wanted to be able to get up and be mobile straight after birth so I was adament for natural and even thought DS was born early and was in distress and they were all ready for me to go into surgery, he came out naturally and I was so happy! I can't understand why someone would want to have a c section for their first, knowing that they may not be able to have a vbac. My sister had to have two c sections for medical reasons and is very resentful she wasnt able to have natural. I have a few complications with this bub and won't go to term and I am the opposite to you, PETRIFIED of a c section LOL but in the end, whatever needs to be done for the health of my baby as I think that is the most important thing, not choices. It is funny that in the past there was no c section options was there? it was only if needed?
    Anyway, I digress, good luck OP, with the pregnancy and with birth.
    It's the option of a c section that has always been the case (just the general public was not aware) because emotional and mental health reasons very much to count as reasons a c section may be the best way for a baby to be delivered compared to a vaginal birth. There is always a lot of stigma attached to mental health but people are very ready to accept anything else ie physical health problems. I understand and respect those who want vaginal births but for the issues I had and some others have its not that easy. There may be anything behind why someone feels so traumatized by the idea of a vaginal birth, not simply that they're scared of labour or that want to avoid the pain etc. I do agree it's best to be informed whatever choice they wish to make but the end of the day is they must make one they are comfortable with whether that is vaginal or a surgical birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post
    Okay - but yet when she goes to the hospital they are going to explain to her the good and the bad pro's and cons of a c/s. Makes sense to be informed IMO.
    Yes, and thats why she has already done her research, so she is informed!!

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi OP I hope you get the outcome you are after. I would explain your fears to the midwife and ask to be referred to someone else in the hospital who can further help you to get your elective cesearean.

I know you mentioned you did research on the net and it made you feel worse. I am not trying to convinve you one way or the other but I hope your research was not solely based on people's experiences/stories about birth. Firstly because I find that a majority of people who write up on the internet tend to do so because something went wrong, or a bad experience (more so than someone who had a good positive experience). And EVERY BIRTH IS DIFFERENT. Something a lot of people forget when they try to scare pregnant women with their stories and opinions.

I really hope you get your elective though, good luck OP