+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Having trouble getting an elective caesarean?

Cesareans can be dangerous and so can natural births.

All I believe in is a woman's right to choose!

Especially when a woman is pressured into doing something she doesn't want....

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

Eko  (28-08-2012),F&A  (28-08-2012),FertileMertile  (28-08-2012),MummaOJ  (28-08-2012),mummy and bubbles  (29-08-2012),MyBabyBells  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

If you want to get c-scetion in public hospital you may have to have a consultaion with the mental health team. Especially as you are describing fear issues. Thou this may sound bad they can help you understand what is causing the fear and therby write up the issues so the drs agree to the c-section. Generally the MHT people you talk with will be upto date on pregnacy issue as at my hospital there s a team form pregnact women.

The other way is to see a profession out side of the hospital and they work with you on the issues and the again write referal to public hospital to ask for a c-section to be on the table.

I have done this, but for different issuse an a c-section has been permitted by the public hospital.

good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaze View Post
    A ceserean is a safe and widely used procedure which is 'fought against' by the public health system because of the cost. And that's it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peaze View Post
    Cesareans can be dangerous and so can natural births.
    Seeing as we are not referring to a natural birth here we are talking C/S Yes C/S are dangerous, they are not safe at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't think the OP is asking for advice on whether to have the Caesarian. She has made up her mind.

OP, i would ask your mum to check if obstetrics is covered under her insurance. At 14 weeks, it will be a good idea to book in with a private Ob ASAP, if that's the way you want to go.

Eta- do you have a GP you like and who is supportive? It might be good to chat to them for advice re your options.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

Eko  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I think this varies from state to state.
    I was also a public patient, but I choose to see an ob, as opposed to using a midwife in the public system. Which left me out of pocket about 3000 after the Medicare rebates.

I think it's best to find an ob to discuss your options. To go through all the pro's and con's for you as an individual, instead of getting a bunch of stats.
    Good Luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I had my first child by c-section in a public hospital in the same state as you. There was no medical reasons for me to have mine. That said I did not get the okay from the consultant OB until I was 36weeks. Try and get in and see a consultant rather than a midwife or registrar as they will be the one who makes the decision for this.

I had similar experiences as you with the midwives during my first pregnancy and that made the whole experience all the more stressful. I am sure what they thought was encouragement and positive was the exact opposite for me.

If you can go private, do some research on OBs that are fine with maternal choice c-sections. I went private the second time and it was a lot easier.

Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi i think you may need to do a bit of research on natural birth's AND c-sections. Learn about the pro's and con's of both. Maybe even get some counselling for your fears.
    Not all natural births are how you are discribing. There are HUGE risks that go with c-sections.
    Im sorry you are already stressing about how your going to give birth. I imagine It's not the ideal way to start off a pregnancy.
    Personally, i didnt get a choice in how i gave birth. However i did educate myself...alot! This made me feel heaps more confident in myself and gave me a sense of control.
    Not being funny, but google "positive natural birth stories"....truely amazing to read.
    You have heaps of time to come to terms with how you may or may not give birth.
    All the best.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    I don't think the OP is asking for advice on whether to have the Caesarian. She has made up her mind.
    I just wanted to reiterate this. She already said she's done a lot of research already. She didn't want opinions on whether or not she SHOULD have a c-section, just how to go about getting one.

Now as for how to go about having an elective, there really are 2 ways. An obstetrician who's ok with doing them or going though a psych assessment, which is a lot less scary than what it sounds from what I've been told.
    I recommend that in your case if your mind is made up you should see the regular maternal doctors at your hospital rather than the midwives regardless of which option you go with.

I found when I was trying to organise an elective CS with DS, every midwife that I had an appointment with stonewalled me on it instantly both on an elective CS and an epidural (which I was NOT going to not have, thanks very much! haha). They just went on with the normal "Your body is made for this, you're stronger than you think, your body will adapt, it'll be hard but worth it" type comments.
    As soon as I had an appointment with the normal maternity ward doctors, I felt I was being listened to. They put in my file that I would be having an epidural and even though they were reluctant to put me in for an elective, they still allowed me to talk to them about it and get information without making me feel judged at all.

Good luck, and I hope that you get the birth that you want regardless of your final decision. Just remember, it's your body and your choice and NO ONE has the right to make you feel bad no matter what you decide .

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

katzdreams  (29-08-2012),PomPoms  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know someone who got an elective c-sect, she called a private ob's office and asked if he did them prior to making an appt with him

Thanks
    Reviews
    congrats on your pregnancy
    I know exactly what your saying.... I too have a huge fear of giving birth naturally and have known for a long time that it just isn't for me. I too have researched all birthing methods and still feel that c-section is best for me. I am public and everyone told me it would be hard to get my c-section. After speaking with 2 midwives who wouldn't even entertain the thought, I made an appointment to speak with the head of the maternity unit. She was amazing and believed that a woman has the right to choose, she made a note in my file straight away and made an appointment for me to see their OB. The OB went over the procedure and had me sign that I was aware of complications etc. I now have a booking form and date!! I am so excited and proud of myself that I pushed to get the delivery that I wanted and didn't let someone talk me out of it...
    It will take a little more work to get your c-section in the public system but fight for what you want hun, its well worth it!! Only you know yourself so don't let anyone try to talk you into what they think is best for you.
    Goodluck