+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Having trouble getting an elective caesarean?

Hello - new to this site,

I'm 14 weeks with my first and I'm really beginning to stress about not being allowed a c-section. I don't have any medical reasons to get one but the thought of having to go through labour just makes me feel sick. In fact, pregnancy all together has never appealed to me, although this baby wasn't planned, it's very much wanted.
    When I found out I was pregnant, I had a lot of people telling me that I could get a c-section which made me feel a whole lot better until my first appointment at the hospital when the lady I saw told me straight up that I wouldn't be allowed a c-section unless I had a medical reason. She wasn't the doctor I'll be seeing the for rest of the check-ups so I will get to ask someone else on my next visit (the one I'll be seeing for the rest of the pregnancy).
    I'm having trouble getting across to people the reasons for my decision, basically, I know that having to go through labour will not be the best decision for me or my baby. I hate attention, I will not want people around me making decisions and telling me what to do, it just stresses me out. I'm also the kind of person that gets very overwhelmed when there's things that don't go as planned (I don't need to name the hundreds of unplanned things that could happen to you or baby from the time you get to hospital to the time you leave).
    I know this is a stupid fear, but the thought of people poking around 'down there' and having to get stitches just makes me so upset, I'm definitely not the kind of person that wants to show it to the world.
    I know this makes me sound terrible but I don't think I would love my baby as much as I should if I have to go through labour, It's already making me depressed just thinking about it, I'd hate to think what I'm going to be like if I have actually to go through it.
    I could go on but I know that I should be telling the doctor all this, I just felt so small when the lady abruptly told me no. My confidence to get my point across went away after that.

The only other thing I can think of is to go to a Private hospital (currently I've been going Public). I'm just not sure how all that works, I only have a Medicare card but my mum told me I'm still covered under some health insurance she has, but (don't be judgemental) I'm 17 at the moment and will be 18 when I have the baby. So I don't think that's going to be any use to me at all.
    If a Private hospital will let me have a c-section how do I go about having it there? Money isn't an issue at all.
    And I guess what I'm asking does anyone have advice on how I can get my c-section? And what I can do if I just keep getting refused?

Both my partner and I know this is the right decision for all 3 of us, I just can't believe in the year 2012 there's no choices.

I'm in Queensland (Brisbane area) if that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not sure, but i think if you want a c section for non medical reasons, you prob have to book in with a private obstetrician and go through a private hospital? You might also have to find one who will do an elective c section as some won't (my SIL wanted one and her dr convinced her not to and she was glad she went natural).

Perhaps you could try to find a midwife who you could talk to about your fears and work out your options?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I believe you can get c-section based on psychological reasons so you could enquire about this.

Privately they will probably try to convince you to attempt natural delivery anyway. I know you have said money isn't an issue but... Do you have insurance? Have you waited the 12 month waiting period? Even with top cover you will be out of pocket $4000 ish. Without cover much much more!

I suggest you really research c-sections, find out te risks to both you and baby, and watch te procedure on YouTube.

Having a baby is scary but it truly is what your body was designed to do.

Squeegee is offline Wanting to add a new squeegee to the family
    Thanks
    Reviews
    First of all you need to know that many of your fears regarding labour and delivery are perfectly normal. You are very early into your pregnancy and as you proceed through this amazing time called pregnancy you will see your body naturally react and respond to the baby's needs.

I see that you seem to have found out about "natural" delivery and stitches and poking around "down there" but please before you go too much further look more into caesarians and what they involve. As one who had a caesarian (emergency after baby did not descend) it is so much more involved. It is major abdominal surgery and takes minimum 6 weeks to get over. It is so full on.

Please take some more time before you make a decision

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Having trouble getting an elective caesarean?

C-sections are not easy. There are good reasons why they are only performed if medically necessary. They are major abdominal surgery. If your freaking out over the possibility of a few stiches down there, how on earth is many stiches in your uterus, abdominal muscles and skin a better option!? If your freaking out over 'attention' do you realise how much more intensive monitoring you are subject too with a c-sect!?

I suggest you find a good midwife and talk through your fears, and make an educated choice on how you birth your baby. Good luck.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super Trooper For This Useful Post:

Miah  (22-11-2012),Renn  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you are worried about people looking at you and stitches and stuff, wouldn't a c section be worse? My cousin found it pretty hard with his wife as she was lying totally naked on the table surrounded by a room full of people, and was in there for ages when they stitched her up.

OP, there are so many birth options these days, a lot less invasive than a c section. Maybe you could start researching some other options, as well as a c section. Like having a midwife who looks after you your whole pregnancy, and might really be the only person (as well as your partner) in the room if thats what you want.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If money is no issue then the easiest way is going to be getting a referral from your GP to a private obstetricia and discussing it with them. Many private obs are happy to offer elective c-sections through the private hospital they deliver at.

I'll be having my second elective c-section in january so I'm not one to talk but previous posts suggesting you could talk to someone to work through fears of delivery might be helpful too?

Do your research so you can make an informed decision.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hi hun!

I'm here to help you

I'm 25 weeks pregnant and im having an elective cesarean in a public hospital with a public OB! And im not the only one!!

Don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you you can't have one because they are rudely pressuring you into something you don't want to do.

I have known all my life that I would not be able to cope with a natural labour, for plenty of reasons which I will Privately message you about and therefore had no doubt what I wanted for myself once I found out I was pregnant in April this year!

I have had a couple of small hoops I've needed to jump through to make it happen, don't get me wrong, but they are nothing when compared to the anxiety I felt and still feel at the thought of such an unpredictable event!!

I'll privately message you now, but don't let anyone tell you it's not possible or allowed or 'right'!!!

It's your body and it's your choice!!!

I'm always here if you want to talk too btw, there's a lot of women on here who will tell you some amazing cesarean birth stories too and they are wonderfully supportive!!

Peaze

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

bluebellknoll  (20-07-2013),Mulva  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Ok for some reason I can't pm you but here's some links to earlier discussions on elective cesareans!

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...d.php?t=468709

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peaze For This Useful Post:

bluebellknoll  (20-07-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also you wont jeep getting refused if you go for a private obstetrician. You'll find one that will be ok with it.

Get your mum to call the private health fund too and see whether they'll cover any of it. You never know. We've done both of ours out of pocket and its a fair chunk of change (easier with the money already saved) but its not beyond the realms of possibility.

When you do find an ob you're happy with dont be surprised if they're a bit sus about you paying out of pocket at first. You might get a bit less grief if your mum cones with you since you're young. They'll be inclined to take you more seriously.

Good luck, it'll be right.