+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Follow on from not rolling at 7mths and concerned, and not a very pleasant physio

Hi all to followed my earlier post about my dd not rolling. Well she is not sitting either and is now 8mths just over 7 corrected. So I went to child youth and health as I had expressed concerns about her rolling. She will roll from tummy to back but not the other but it doesn't always happen. I had expressed concerns because she splays her arms to the side and I am actually concerned that she has an issue with her shoulder so I was refered from the child youth and health nurse to their physio. I went there yesterday and basically got told well I am not going to waste my time teaching her to roll as she should have been doing this from 4mths and well now she should be sitting already. She was very abrupt. I mean I knew my daughter was behind but I was there because of her rolling not her sitting and I was there because I thought her shoulders were the cause of her not rolling as she doesn't position her arms in the right spot to roll. you know how they kind of need to have their arms infront. well my daughter keeps trying to roll onto her shoulder and doesn't seem to want to move it. and it is more one side than the other. She was delivered via c section and I know they struggled to get her out. I am thinking maybe a muscle was tightened to deliver. Anyway the physio didn't examine her as such she just told me what was wrong with her and I was told not to use a jolly jumper, not to use her activity play thing where she can jump and sit and spin. She only would spend 5 maybe 10mins max in there. My daughter has always since 3mths done abdominal crunches and when ever her brother runs by or she wants to see her brother, aparantly that is a huge no no along with arching her back especially if she is tired or is starting to learn tantrums she arches her back. I felt so defeated. Instead of telling me why those things were no good I just felt I got slapped on the wrist. In terms of exercises for my daughter she did them. She didn't show me so when I tried to do she told me off as I thought I was pulling her up into the sit by her shoulder instead the physio told me off and said don't pull her by the arm. Frankly I don't feel comfortable pulling her into a sit by her shoulder if there is an actually issue with her shoulder how is pulling going to help. So instead of actually looking into why Iwas there and examining her. i was just told she was behind. Is anyone else out there not have there bubs sitting at 8mths? or rolling. As far as I am concerned yes my daughter is behind by the norm but it doesn't mean anything is wrong. Oh and standing on her feet is a big no no. Mind you put her on her feet and she moves her feet up and down. I think my daughter just wants to go but doens't want to do the all between things. I am so cross and angry with this very unpleasant women and if I have to go back I think I will loose my temper at her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You don't have to see any dr/physio/nurse you don't want to. Doesn't sound like she would be any help to you.

How do you think your daughter is doing? Do you want some help with exercises or activities for her, or are you happy to wait a month or two and see how she is then?

Have you thought about getting a kids osteo to check her over? They can often feel if there are areas of tightness/ weakness in the body.

Nothing wrong with getting a 2nd opinion, but also nothing wrong with waiting awhile either.

Swimming or Kids Gym can also be good to get kids moving if you wanted to try less formal therapy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Follow on from not rolling at 7mths and concerned, and not a very pleasant physio

I think it is Definitely concerning that your 8 month old cant roll. I would find a new physio and try again. If there is an underlying issue it would be better to know now.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Follow on from not rolling at 7mths and concerned, and not a very pleasant physio

There's bubs in my mums group who are a bit older and not sitting. They roll, but it took them a while to get there.

If you choose not to wait though I certainly wouldn't go back to the same woman, what a knob!

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd never rolled much and didn't sit until 8 months... Perfectly normal... She crawled from a sitting position at 10 months and walked at 13 months!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im going to say my daughter is 7mths as she is corrected. She can roll but it is selective and not from back to front. I have been to another physio today and complained about the other. Like this physio said rolling is what is going to help her get into a sit position. He was fabulous and actually checked her over and physically she is fine there are no tightenings in her shoulders so that is encouraging. neurologically with the cross overs that she needs for coordination she needs a little work. He has told me forget sitting concentrate on rolling and concentrating on rolling to one side first mastering it and then working on the other. he is very confident she is not far off but just requires that little bit of help. Going to look into some baby pilates. thanks babyduk. Its encouraging. My daughter hates tummy time and I can't see her willing wanting to put herself on her tummy if she doesn't want to be there. And each time I sit her she is getting stronger each time.

Thanks all for your opinions, yes my daughter is behind. But I am not worried she will do it in her own time, but I at least have someone to work with instead of the other knob. He actually got down on the floor and focused on what she could do, and where she is at with her rolling instead of focusing on what she can't do and then dismissing it and saying I can't be bothered to teach it. personally I think the physio I went to yesterday should not work with children if she can't be bothered teaching children because its an inconvience to go back a step and teach. this guy has said neurologically she is a bit behind and has to be taught the coordination. which would all fit in with being delivered a little earlier. She didn't track with her eyes by the standard norm but is doing it beautifully now. Anyway end of Rant. thanks all for your posts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bluebutterfly74 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 6 months old. She hasn’t rolled over yet. I don’t know if I should be worried..

I read on the babycenter website, that some babies don’t roll until they start walking and that it’s nothing to worry about as long as they’re meeting other milestones. And I also heard that babies that are heavier have more difficulties to roll over. My DD is 9.5 kg at 6 months. So not sure, if this explains why she hasn’t rolled yet.

She sits up supported by pillows and otherwise she is very aware, grabs everything, makes lots of different sounds etc. I’ve read “The wonder weeks” and she basically meets all the milestones except the rolling over, so that’s why I am not sure if I should be worried or not.

I haven't even thought about physio..

@Bluebutterfly - This physio you went to sounds like an arrogant b!tch. I can't believe how she spoke to you. If I was you I wouldn't go back either. I don't know what to say. Maybe try to find someone who is actually nice and can give you some professional advice. I hope everything goes well with your daughter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 8.5 months and doesn't roll and never has. She has sat unassisted from about 6.5/7 months and can bear weight on her arms and legs. I asked my CHN 2 weeks ago about it and she advised that as long as she could bear her own weight on her arms whilst on her tummy and also on her legs when standing assisted, then all is fine and nothing to worry about at this stage.
    To tell you the truth I was a little worried earlier at about 6 months as other babies I knew were rolling everywhere but I was a late walker (from laziness!) so calmed myself down. Babies do all sorts of different things when it comes to moving and to be honest I think DD may skip rolling altogether. We have a list of exercises to assist her rolling and getting up onto her knees in preparation for crawling so have just started doing those and will see if it makes a difference.
    I wouldn't be too worried at this stage. If it gets to 12 months and things haven't progressed then maybe look at an evaluation then?
    As others have said, as long as they are developing well in other ways, eating solids, talking, reaching for toys etc then I think everything is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello all who have followed my post. Just an update at where my daughter is at. Since posting, my daughter has mastered tummy to her back with her rolling. She is almost there with her back to tummy. As she was a little early the physio seems to think she is ever so slightly behind and is doing some neurological physio work with her. She has only just really discovered her toes. Probably the only reason she hasn't before is she is always in rompers as to cold otherwise. She is starting to get legs up and over and then rocks to the side. But providing she can reach a toy close by she will just grab it so I am placing toys up and behind her head to force her to go over to her side. with time I think she will get it. I am working with another physio actually 2, one private and another with the hospital after my not so good great first meeting with the other one who could not be bothered to check her out. My new one referred through child health is brilliant and she gets down and plays with her and actually appears to like children. And explained her abdominal crunches are part of her trying to sit up but not knowing how to get to that stage. As for her actually physical development and posture all is good so there is nothing actually wrong! she is just taking a bit longer and she will be there soon. She is almost sitting a bit wobbly. She is still a very tiny framed baby for her age. she was born 5lb8oz, and even now she is probably in looks more a 6mth than a soon to be 9mth. She is babbling heaps,loves books, really good fine motor skills, eating well. So I am confident she will get there soon. even not rolling she still seems to be able to scoot herself along to places. Thanks all for your comments. cheers