+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks for posting this - will watch it later.

My son has had remarkable success with the same thing, he is also on the spectrum.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2made3 For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (28-08-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    It was very sad how the spore colonization cannot yet be 'killed off'. I think of how traumatic it is for Ellen and her family to see their son exhibit less-austistic traits for the 8 weeks the antibiotics were working and then have the regression.
    i know what you mean - like she says in the episode, the bacteria you are exposed to as an infant is the bacteria you die with…very disappointing.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Interesting story on Autism and Gut Bacteria and Food Additives on ABC last night

Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    i know what you mean - like she says in the episode, the bacteria you are exposed to as an infant is the bacteria you die with…very disappointing.
    Interestingly, adding 'good' bacteria in the form of probiotics can dilute the bad bacteria's neurotoxin abilities.

My children have been fortunate not to have to take many antibiotics - probably less than one course a year. I generally give them probiotics at the same time, but I do also (and I know this is totally anecdotal) find that their behaviour/social output is more erratic and trying during and for a week or so after the courses.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    I haven't watched the episode yet (I have it recorded), but I don't believe that has to be true at all. I'm not saying it's easy, but there are lots of anecdotal stories of people that have 'cured', or perhaps 'reversed' their chronic conditions including their children's autism by intensive (VERY intensive) dietry therapy of which probiotics are a core feature.Check out this example:

http://www.cheeseslave.com/autism-re...mothers-story/

Who was it that said 'All disease begins the gut'? Was it hippocrates? Anyway, I believe there is probably something to that statement.

In my little family of 4 we had:
    DH: moderate to sometimes severe depression. began when he was 8
    Me: chronic fatigue syndrome
    DD1: coeliac disease
    DD2: some signs of sensory processing disorder

All of the above are being brought under control by addressing our gut health. We are all doing almost the same thing and probiotics are a bit part of it. We have gone with probiotic food which we make ourselves.

Of course, DD1's treatment involes abstaining from gluten, but we are all doing that for now too.

Before I started trying to find a way to get well, I didn't know a thing about any of this stuff, but it has really, really worked for us and I urge anyone who is interested to give it a go.

I'm more than happy for anyone to PM me if they want the specifics of what we have done.

I find the whole thing really fascinating.
    Last edited by OurLittleBlessing; 28-08-2012 at 19:27. Reason: formatting

Thanks
    Reviews
    See I wonder also about antibiotics wrecking the gut. My son of 3.5 has autism and has never had antibiotics even once. Dr gave me some once for him after very short consultation but I felt like I shouldn't so give them to him . He was on the men's the next day. BUT ... I was given antibiotics during his labour. My second son also has never had antibiotics and during his birth I was NOT given antibiotics . My son has improved out of sight after really watching what he eats. There is no way he can handle grapes. , he zones out. Sultanas are like a drug for him , he goes crazy and crys and tantrums and overloads so he does not have this anymore. Pineapple also makes him zone out. We give him fish oil daily and his speech is so much better.