+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Could my LO be allergic to panadol??

This ^^^

Thanks
    Reviews

Panadol is disgusting...id vomit that stuff back up too!! Maybe try dymadon?

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews

Mmm DD loves dymadon (no panadol in this house)

But the OPs bub doesn't vomit it up, she gets hot & sweats.

OP here's my thoughts. Paracetamol is grown from a fungus. The body usually heats up to fight off infections. Maybe your LOs body is mistaking the fungus as a bad one..

(I have no idea if any of that is true

I'm really interested to hear what ur GP has to say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post
    Hmmm odd that you and another poster say that as my DS vomits it back up but his Dr and a nurse I've spoken to has said that it's common for kids to do that and isn't a reaction. How confusing!
    The actual reaction for an allergy to paracetamol is a rash.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by French Pear View Post
    I would definitley ask your GP.

I can't seem to give my DD Panadol either because every time I give it to her she chokes - as in can't swallow it and draw a breath. I'm not sure if this would be an allergy thing or more related to the consistency (ie too syrupy)??? She does not have this problem with Nurofen. I am going to mention it to her GP as it means I am only being able to give her Nurofen and I'm hesitant to give it all the time. I thought that Panadol was a less "medicated" option?
    Both Panadol (paracetamol) and Nurofen (Ibuprofen) are similarly 'Medicative.' But both have different actions on the body. Ibuprofen lasts longer in the system, is better for inflammation, joint problems, muscular aches. Paracetamol seems better for fever (though both will relieve fever, and the makers of Nurofen, of course, claim it is superior for this), headaches, and general pain relief.

All people will react differently and find one or other works better for certain aches, pains or probs, and all will have different side-effects to it if side-effects are to be had.

I would think vomitting would most likely be adversity to the flavour/texture of the syrup. Breathing difficulties could be due to the syrup lining the throat and sticking in the epiglottis (throat valve that opens when you yawn). Any severe breathing problems (as an allergic reaction) would be an anaphylactic reaction, which I would hope wouldn't happen with such a widely used medication!

Atropos ~ isn't all Panadol branded paracetamol kid's suspension colourfree? Or is that all my chemist stocks?! Thanks for the tip about the rash reaction! I should imagine it would be possible for the body to be intolerant of it even if not truly allergic, as it can load the kidneys/liver. Especially in people/kids with suboptimal kidney/liver function. I suppose these reactions could happen without a rash....?

Definitely ask your doctor if you think the reasons you are using Panadol outweigh the side-effects and wish to continue using it. I would think it may be stressing bub's system though, and would avoid it, myself. It's never comfortable sweating, especially if you are already ill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Both Panadol (paracetamol) and Nurofen (Ibuprofen) are similarly 'Medicative.' But both have different actions on the body. Ibuprofen lasts longer in the system, is better for inflammation, joint problems, muscular aches. Paracetamol seems better for fever (though both will relieve fever, and the makers of Nurofen, of course, claim it is superior for this), headaches, and general pain relief.

All people will react differently and find one or other works better for certain aches, pains or probs, and all will have different side-effects to it if side-effects are to be had.

I would think vomitting would most likely be adversity to the flavour/texture of the syrup. Breathing difficulties could be due to the syrup lining the throat and sticking in the epiglottis (throat valve that opens when you yawn). Any severe breathing problems (as an allergic reaction) would be an anaphylactic reaction, which I would hope wouldn't happen with such a widely used medication!

Atropos ~ isn't all Panadol branded paracetamol kid's suspension colourfree? Or is that all my chemist stocks?! Thanks for the tip about the rash reaction! I should imagine it would be possible for the body to be intolerant of it even if not truly allergic, as it can load the kidneys/liver. Especially in people/kids with suboptimal kidney/liver function. I suppose these reactions could happen without a rash....?

Definitely ask your doctor if you think the reasons you are using Panadol outweigh the side-effects and wish to continue using it. I would think it may be stressing bub's system though, and would avoid it, myself. It's never comfortable sweating, especially if you are already ill.
    I know the elixirs aren't colourfree, maybe your chemist only stocks the suspensions? They are colourfree
    You'd have to have a fairly big overdose to load the liver and kidneys, but if the person already had a kidney or liver problem, I don't know... Wouldn't symptoms of this have shown before? And by the time it hit the liver it would be too late for the body to vomit out. Definitely worth a gp visit OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aaah, that explains it. They only stock the colourfree ones where I shop I suppose.

It's possible that a not fully optimal kidney/liver function could be overlooked if nothing in bub's environment has challenged the kidney and liver function so far (other than panadol). I'm pretty sure it's a long shot, and prob just a side-effect specific to OP's LO.

It does indeed take a big dose of paracetamol to cause liver/kidney probs, we're talking 700-800% the usual dose! Note to self...do NOT take 16 panadol tabs!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BaronessM View Post
    Aaah, that explains it. They only stock the colourfree ones where I shop I suppose.

It's possible that a not fully optimal kidney/liver function could be overlooked if nothing in bub's environment has challenged the kidney and liver function so far (other than panadol). I'm pretty sure it's a long shot, and prob just a side-effect specific to OP's LO.

It does indeed take a big dose of paracetamol to cause liver/kidney probs, we're talking 700-800% the usual dose! Note to self...do NOT take 16 panadol tabs!
    Interesting paracetamol abuse is one of the leading causes of liver failure- maybe you should share that note to self around

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the replies - sorry I haven't replied been so busy .... Been to the dr, there suggestion was not to use panadol and just use neurofen -.- hmm thanks haha
    Might go somewhere else for a second opinion
    Thanks again xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    i don't mean to offend anyone, but why are you giving your child panadol if they are not sick or teething?