+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Could my LO be allergic to panadol??

Heya

My lo is almost 10months and I have recently noticed that when iv given her panadol, she gets hot and and starts sweating... This never used to happen and at first I though it could of just been a symptom of her teething or being sick.
    But on two occasions, when I know shes not sick or teething iv given her a smaller dose and the same thing is happening... So could she be allergic to panadol (or what it's made from)
    She is fine with neurofen....

From what I know there is no family history of allergies to panadol...

(I am going to ask the dr when I go back - been there twice in the past week and forgot to ask!)

Tia

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Tia, anything's possible, I suppose. Just because the majority of people are fine with it, doesn't mean it's impossible to be allergic to it.

In very large doses it is extremely toxic to the kidneys and (I think) liver, so it could be that she is slightly intolerant of it, or a symptom of less than fully functioning kidneys/liver. I'm sure she's fine, but good idea to ask doctor and perhaps stick to Nurofen.

Panadol is made from Paracetamol, but different brands will have different additives, flavours, syrup filler/tablet fillers, etc.

Maybe she's just a person who sweats when she's given panadol!
    Last edited by BaronessM; 28-08-2012 at 05:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Odd. Have you tried the colour free version? Also usual symptoms of paracetamol allergy are skin rashes.
    Last edited by Atropos; 28-08-2012 at 05:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try a different brand it could be somehing else. Dd would start having gastro like vomiting 5-10 after taking a chemist brand one but was fine on the panadol branded one.

Could have been a coincidence but it happened twice so now I juts buy the branded one.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would think it would be more of a reaction to something else in it eg the flavor or colouring. If it was a paracetamol allergy she would more than likely vomit it back up.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

This ^^^

I don't think they call it an allergy it's called something else (can't remember sorry)

And yes it is defiantly possible to have a reaction to panadol but like mishh said it usually results in being vomited back up.

Defiantly ask your GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheEmu View Post
    This ^^^

I don't think they call it an allergy it's called something else (can't remember sorry)

And yes it is defiantly possible to have a reaction to panadol but like mishh said it usually results in being vomited back up.

Defiantly ask your GP.
    Definitely even

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitley ask your GP.

I can't seem to give my DD Panadol either because every time I give it to her she chokes - as in can't swallow it and draw a breath. I'm not sure if this would be an allergy thing or more related to the consistency (ie too syrupy)??? She does not have this problem with Nurofen. I am going to mention it to her GP as it means I am only being able to give her Nurofen and I'm hesitant to give it all the time. I thought that Panadol was a less "medicated" option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTheEmu View Post
    Hmmm odd that you and another poster say that as my DS vomits it back up but his Dr and a nurse I've spoken to has said that it's common for kids to do that and isn't a reaction. How confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post
    Hmmm odd that you and another poster say that as my DS vomits it back up but his Dr and a nurse I've spoken to has said that it's common for kids to do that and isn't a reaction. How confusing!
    Vomiting on its own I wouldn't take as a sign of allergy but along with other symptoms it's a possibility