So I understand 3-4 year olds are curious and want to touch everything. But my nearly 4 year old touches absolutely EVERYTHING, and more often than not, breaks or damages everything she touches. In the last year she has:
- destroyed a $3000 leather couch by tearing strips off it
- broken a $300 digital camera by messing with the controls which caused the focus and zoom to stop working
- smashed a $500 iPad by dropping it on concrete tiles
- broken a $50 necklace by stretching the cord til it broke
- broken a $50 ring by snapping the stone off
- snapped my $250 Oroton sunnies
- scratched $700 prescription glasses so badly they couldn't be fixed.
and the corker for today - putting her hand imprints on a cake I spent 6 hours decorating for a friends birthday.
Mostly she doesn't damage things maliciously, but she such a clutz she will drop things or step on them and break them. I will tell her not to touch something 1000 times and the minute my back is turned she's got a hold of it. I warn her, I tell her what the punishment will be, I ALWAYS follow through, but nothing works. I calmly explain that some things belong to mummy and daddy, and that we look with our eyes but don't touch with our hands, we've put things above head height but the moment I look away she has pushed a stool over to climb up, we've tried positive reward charts, we've tried taking away privileges or favourite toys but nothing deters her. We aren't rich and work damn hard for all the luxuries we have in life and she damages all of them. I just can't understand why she doesn't listen or how else I can discourage her from touching things she knows she's not meant to. It's costing me a fortune and I'm starting to hate her for it