+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default American Academy of Paediatrics backs circumcision

Penile cancer rate is less than 1 in every 100,000 men in USA and Europe. Interesting, since rates are very low in USA where circumcision is the norm, and also low in Europe where circumcision is not the norm.

And is anybody able to explain why America's HIV rate is so high compared to other western countries where circumcision rates are much, much lower.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

beebs  (30-08-2012),Ellewood  (30-08-2012),sockstealingpoltergeist  (31-08-2012),VicPark  (30-08-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have a real problem with the *reduced risk of STI* part of the argument.
    I agree. If the only thing that's stopping an STI being transferred is the lack of a foreskin then I think there are bigger issues at play. Condoms anyone?? No surgical procedure required.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-08-2012),Witwicky  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    doctors are quite happy to do the procedure as they are aware of the benefits.
    This is not true at all....!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I assume you are only considering STIs here? Phimosis, UTIs, balanitis, penile cancer, etc. You have to weigh up ALL the benefits. This is what the AAP has done in their risk/benefit analysis. It is not just STIs.
    Phimosis is quite rare and is a condition where medically necessary circ would be appropriate, no one disputes that.
    UTIs however are generally a hygiene issue.
    Penile cancer- not convinced, it's soooo rare as it it is, not really a good enough reason to chop.
    Even balanitis comes down to hygiene and happens to circed boys too so again, not a good reason to circ. if the AAP recommended all boys be circed as a result of their research it might carry more weight, but they do not.

Basically they are saying if done properly the risks are smaller than the benefits however the benefits are not great enough that we recommend this procedure as standard.
    Last edited by Atropos; 30-08-2012 at 08:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    This is not true at all....!
    Have you actually tried to find a doctor to circumcised your boys?
    If you haven't, then you probably are not in the best position to know how easy it is to find a doctor.

Both my boys were circumcised. A couple of phone calls, and a booking was made on both occasions. We met no opposition, including the hospital, who happily gave us a list of doctors and their phone numbers.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I went to two different birthing classes and we were all advised not to circ at both of them. One couple still wished to circ their newborn and the educator told them the name of the *only* physician in the city who performed the procedure. My own midwife said that very few get it done anymore, but if they choose to, she is obligated to provide details of a physician who performs the procedure.

I wouldn't say it was difficult if you DO want to get it done, however it's certainly not as easy as it was a generation ago (My own father was circumcised while still in hospital).

However, the info provided by medical professionals at birth classes coupled with the number of doctors who actually perform it, kind of says something. I know a few couples who changed their minds based on that alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tend to keep out of these threads but I just came across this article that I found interesting. Haven't read through anyone's posts so not sure if it's already been posted, so apologies in advance if it has.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48798567.../#.UD7i_9YgeDP

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Enyala For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you actually tried to find a doctor to circumcised your boys?
    If you haven't, then you probably are not in the best position to know how easy it is to find a doctor.

Both my boys were circumcised. A couple of phone calls, and a booking was made on both occasions. We met no opposition, including the hospital, who happily gave us a list of doctors and their phone numbers.
    Your statement was 'doctors are quite happy to perform the procedure'....

This isn't true. Very few doctors are willing to perform circumcisions. You were given a list of doctors to contact, but that would have been a short list.

Ive read through the thread and you don't seem to be following any logic in your thought process, just desperately trying to justify your pro-circ stance! But you're dismissing excellent and valid points made by other posters, because you don't want to discuss it and accept other's point of views you just want to be 'right'.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baracuda For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (30-08-2012),Witwicky  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I should probably try to provide some background to this widely anticipated move by the AAP.

In 2007 the CDC held a consultation on HIV at which a powerful faction pushed the argument that "poor blacks", who have disproportionately high infection rates, are being discouraged from RIC because of lack of Medicaid coverage in many states. Blacks already have a high circ prevalence (73%), and it is unclear how further increasing RIC will have any effect on HIV rates. Indeed, the entire evidentiary basis is a single STI clinic study from Baltimore which purported to show that among heterosexual African Americans whose partners are already HIV positive, there was a correlation between circumcision and lower rates of infection.

AAP representatives attended this consultation and were basically told to alter their policy so States would reverse their decisions to drop Medicaid coverage. They couldn't tell pediatricians to recommend RIC, since HIV is irrelevant to the health of children, who are of course the patients (whatever parents may think), but they wanted something to give the CDC political leverage in the health insurance debate. It took the AAP five years to square this circle and come up with the current dog's breakfast.

In itself, the policy "change" will make little difference. It's actually ob/gyns who perform most of the 1.2 million US circs. And you'd have to be a true believer to think that this will have any effect on HIV levels of US blacks anytime, ever.

But as they say, only in America ...
    Last edited by JohnC; 30-08-2012 at 16:24. Reason: typos

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnC For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-08-2012),Ceili  (01-09-2012),Ellewood  (30-08-2012),sockstealingpoltergeist  (31-08-2012),Sonja  (30-08-2012),Witwicky  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
    I should probably try to provide some background to this widely anticipated move by the AAP.

In 2007 the CDC held a consultation on HIV at which a powerful faction pushed the argument that "poor blacks", who have disproportionately high infection rates, are being discouraged from RIC because of lack of Medicaid coverage in many states. Blacks already have a high circ prevalence (73%), and it is unclear how further increasing RIC will have any effect on HIV rates. Indeed, the entire evidentiary basis is a single STI clinic study from Baltimore which purported to show that among heterosexual African Americans whose partners are already HIV positive, there was a correlation between circumcision and lower rates of infection.

AAP representatives attended this consultation and were basically told to alter their policy so States would reverse their decisions to drop Medicaid coverage. They couldn't tell pediatricians to recommend RIC, since HIV is irrelevant to the health of children, who are of course the patients (whatever parents may think), but they wanted something to give the CDC political leverage in the health insurance debate. It took the AAP five years to square this circle and come up with the current dog's breakfast.

In itself, the policy "change" will make little difference. It's actually ob/gyns who perform most of the 1.2 million US circs. And you'd have to be a true believer to think that this will have any effect on HIV levels of US blacks anytime, ever.

But as they say, only in America ...
    I knew it! They were pandering to political interference!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (30-08-2012),BaronessM  (31-08-2012)