+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default American Academy of Paediatrics backs circumcision

Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Well if you heard it on a TV show it must be true! Not.
    Penises are all much the same and I've seen a few. If they are washed, they are clean

ETA I thought you did it for religious reasons. that it was spiritual and horrific.
    Our son was done for religious reasons and I did find it horrific, although I wasn't even in the room. My husband, his father, the Rabbi snd doctor along with male family friends were with him and all were fine. In fact all men there were all circed. It's hard for any mum to imagine their child in pain hence the horrific bit. It is a deeply spiritual day too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    Our son was done for religious reasons and I did find it horrific, although I wasn't even in the room. My husband, his father, the Rabbi snd doctor along with male family friends were with him and all were fine. In fact all men there were all circed. It's hard for any mum to imagine their child in pain hence the horrific bit. It is a deeply spiritual day too.
    I can't even imagine the feelings you went through. But please don't then spout opinions about smelly penises, or grammar schools. You did this to your son because you are religious.

My intact husband is clean. My two boy children are clean. They are not feral, nor do they smell.

3. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (29-08-2012),beebs  (29-08-2012),Busy-Bee  (29-08-2012),Ceili  (01-09-2012),Clementine Grace  (29-08-2012),Ellewood  (29-08-2012),Rbottom  (29-08-2012),Witwicky  (29-08-2012),~ElectricPink~  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    That is fine VicPark. You obviously rely more on authorities to help you with your decisions than I do.
    Yes becAuse medical experts know more about these things than the common person.

I don't know how you think you know more about circumcision than every medical authority in every developed/western nation (none of which recommend routine circumcision).

I suggest you are circ'ing for cultural/family reasons and are trying to distort medical opinion to back your stance.?

How anyone can take a knife to their child for a 7% statistic well I guess we just have different thresholds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I know many circumcised men and all r happy their parents had them done. We do discuss these things a lot, especially once we knew we were having a boy. My husband is adamant having gone to an all boys grammar school that it is much better to be snipped. Boys r feral. I have never been with an uncirced man but I heard last night on can of worms that uncirced are odorous.
    It seems to me you made your decision on circumcision while being smack bam in the middle of bias city.

You are circ'ing for religious and cultural reasons so own it. Don't throw ridiculous hygiene reasons into the debate.
    - perhaps your son will be incapable of washing his willy but mine won't.
    Last edited by VicPark; 29-08-2012 at 19:57.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    The only thing that they are NOT recommending is making it 'routine'. ie. step 1 - get baby out
    step 2 - cut umbilical cord
    step 3 - determine if boy
    step 4 - if boy... circumcise.
    So just to be clear, the American Academy of Pediatrics are not recommending RIC, as you stated above. They are not recommending boys be circ'd as a matter of course. Glad to see that the anti-ric support have the AAP on our side then

I assume from this they would then only support circ for established health reasons, which anti-ric supporters would support. We just don't support RIC where there is no established health reason or for any cultural or religious reasons (well, I don't, I can't speak for all).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't know about anyone else, but I get all of my medical info from "Can of worms".....doesn't everybody?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes beebs.. I thought that was the entire point of that show? So that people became more educated on issues such as circumcisition without having to talk to medical professionals.

Thanks
    Reviews

I just couldn't do it... As a mum I feel for those who have to for religious reasons... I would be a mess.
    Also does anyone think it's painful? I mean do they really think a baby doesn't feel that? I'm just happy I don't have to deal with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The only thing we can all agree on here is that anti-circumcisors believe wholeheartedly in bodily autonomy and pro-circumcisors don't.

Even if I did want to circumcise my son I wouldn't use the AAP's findings to back up my decision as I don't think it would add any strength to my case in any way - they haven't presented any reason to justify circumcising my son!

I just believe heart and soul that my baby boy was born perfect, the way nature intended it and I have no right to inflict any unnecessary pain on him and make surgical adjustments to his body.

There are no very strong reasons why it should be done these days and no-one can really agree there was ever a strong reason that made it necessary in ancient times when the practice began.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (29-08-2012),Ceili  (01-09-2012),Witwicky  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Both my brothers - aged 47 and 35 are circumcised. When I had a son 4 years ago I asked both of them separately what their thoughts were and they both felt its not a parents choice to make and shouldnt be done. They are very different people from different generations and yet had very similar feelings.

America is not a good example to follow. A friend of mine had prem twins on holiday in new York at 24 weeks. Tragically one passed away. When the surviving twins was just 2 weeks and struggling every day to survive, unbelievably the hospital asked if my friend would like him circumcised.

You can tell from the depictions in American popular culture (sex and the city etc) that uncircumcised penises are considered funny looking etc.

The cultural bias towards circumcision in America is immense.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

starla  (29-08-2012),Witwicky  (29-08-2012)