+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 153
  1. #121
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    418
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    15
    Reviews
    0
    In the 1950s there were mass lobotomies (without consent) performed in Australia. Some of the victims died soon after (death rate something like 4%). I don't think many people here support lobotomies.

    However, the last time I looked, they are STILL legal in Australia , however they are very rare, perhaps less than 1 in 5 years. The point I am making is that legal doesn't always mean good. Things tend to become illegal well after they have fallen into disfavour.

    If circ is going to be compared with C-sections, I am going to compare it with a lobotomy.

    However, circ must never be compared in any way with female genital cutting.
    http://www.circumstitions.com/analogy.html

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    comparing vaxing to circumcision is def apple's and orange's and silly to compare. Vaxing has an effect on the entire community i.e. if everyone stopped vaxing, then the herd immunity would fade. Circumcision affect only the child who has it done, no other.
    Well circ does affect the partner of the man too, there are support groups for them as it can really affect a lot more than just the man.

  3. #123
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    I wonder on this issue, if there is any research into the viewpoint of boys who have been circumcised. If they were happy their parents did it, or if they would rather have been able to make the choice themselves. I think it would be interesting to see which way attitudes trend.


    I've only ever had one parter who was, the rest we're not circumcised and none of them had ever had a problem (health wise) or wished they had been done as children. I think it'd be interesting to see what men who have been done, think about this issue.

    Personally, i don't see the need to take away something boys are born with. I've never known an uncircumcised man to have any health problem.
    I assume they prob go both ways but there are a lot of people restoring so some are pretty upset about it enough to spend money and time to get the foreskin back but it will never be the same, which for me is more evidence to just let them decide when they are older. If all men were happy to be cut then well no biggy but these poor guys some of them need counseling some of them are very angry at their parents and some are hanging gadgets from their penises to get back what was taken from them and there are some that are happy their parents did them but it would be interesting to see actual numbers

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefully2 View Post
    I know many circumcised men and all r happy their parents had them done. We do discuss these things a lot, especially once we knew we were having a boy. My husband is adamant having gone to an all boys grammar school that it is much better to be snipped. Boys r feral. I have never been with an uncirced man but I heard last night on can of worms that uncirced are odorous.
    My son doesnt smell nor did my ex (cut) nor does my husband (intact) maybe the boys your hubby hung out with were feral not all boys. Also I asked my husband because I was curious how many times he had seen his friends penises growing up he said he never had, that boys dont compare penises at least when and where he was going to school and his friends so being the odd one out isnt really relevant IMO

    Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    Both my brothers - aged 47 and 35 are circumcised. When I had a son 4 years ago I asked both of them separately what their thoughts were and they both felt its not a parents choice to make and shouldnt be done. They are very different people from different generations and yet had very similar feelings.

    America is not a good example to follow. A friend of mine had prem twins on holiday in new York at 24 weeks. Tragically one passed away. When the surviving twins was just 2 weeks and struggling every day to survive, unbelievably the hospital asked if my friend would like him circumcised.

    You can tell from the depictions in American popular culture (sex and the city etc) that uncircumcised penises are considered funny looking etc.

    The cultural bias towards circumcision in America is immense.
    agree America profits off RIC I am not sure what australia does with all the foreskins but America uses it to make profits, they put it in beauty products, sells it for medical stuff so of course they are not going to want everyone to do this they make money.

  5. #125
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,660
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity22 View Post
    However, circ must never be compared in any way with female genital cutting.
    http://www.circumstitions.com/analogy.html
    I disagree. I am about to dash off to an appointment but the main reason I disagree is two-fold.
    1. The comparison is not usualy around the actual procedure but the motive for the procedure. FGM is undertaken on girls out of love. It is done primarily to prove the girl is a virgin for their marriage night, if they can't prove they are a virgin they will most likely never marry and therefore never have children which are highly venerated positions. Male circ is also undertaken out of love and care for the child as well.

    2. The least evasive form of FGM (removal of the clitoral hood) is, I believe, anatomically comparable to male circ) but I'm happy to be proven wrong on this account.

  6. #126
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I disagree. I am about to dash off to an appointment but the main reason I disagree is two-fold.
    1. The comparison is not usualy around the actual procedure but the motive for the procedure. FGM is undertaken on girls out of love. It is done primarily to prove the girl is a virgin for their marriage night, if they can't prove they are a virgin they will most likely never marry and therefore never have children which are highly venerated positions. Male circ is also undertaken out of love and care for the child as well.

    2. The least evasive form of FGM (removal of the clitoral hood) is, I believe, anatomically comparable to male circ) but I'm happy to be proven wrong on this account.
    Yes also same reasons for females cleaner, looks better, less infections etc I dont think we can talk about it though because it isnt legal. As of now little girls have more rights than boys

  7. #127
    Busy-Bee's Avatar
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    11,183
    Thanks
    3,660
    Thanked
    4,704
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Yes also same reasons for females cleaner, looks better, less infections etc I dont think we can talk about it though because it isnt legal. As of now little girls have more rights than boys
    Actually I think type 1 FGM(*) is done to dull female sexual desire in the attempt of ensuring a woman will either remain a virgin until she is married and then have some assurance that she will be faithful to her husband. To the best of my knowledge I don't believe this type of FGM is done for any alleged health benefits. Type 3 FGM carries significant risks of numerous infections as well as increasing birthing risks to both mother and baby.

    Ironically male infant circ used to be carried out in an attempt to stop boys m@sturbating.

    *partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals) and, in very rare cases, only the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris) link.

  8. #128
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    Actually I think type 1 FGM(*) is done to dull female sexual desire in the attempt of ensuring a woman will either remain a virgin until she is married and then have some assurance that she will be faithful to her husband. To the best of my knowledge I don't believe this type of FGM is done for any alleged health benefits. Type 3 FGM carries significant risks of numerous infections as well as increasing birthing risks to both mother and baby.

    Ironically male infant circ used to be carried out in an attempt to stop boys m@sturbating.

    *partial or total removal of the clitoris (a small, sensitive and erectile part of the female genitals) and, in very rare cases, only the prepuce (the fold of skin surrounding the clitoris) link.
    I had links that had interviews and such of parents and even a doctor from another country that explained why they remove the hood and it was for pretty much the same reasons as boys. I can dig them up and PM them to you if you wanted a look see.

    That said your reasons are probably some reasons too like you said malr circ was for masturbating etc too

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    3,431
    Thanks
    1,018
    Thanked
    2,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    Yes also same reasons for females cleaner, looks better, less infections etc I dont think we can talk about it though because it isnt legal. As of now little girls have more rights than boys
    it is actually not done for any of these reasons. Its done as a cultural thing, mainly for the husbands so they can be sure their wife has been sewn up and doesn't have sex with anyone else. A lot of women can't enter the "marriage market" without it being done. Many, many girls die from infections either straight after having it done, or later down the track.

  10. #130
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    it is actually not done for any of these reasons. Its done as a cultural thing, mainly for the husbands so they can be sure their wife has been sewn up and doesn't have sex with anyone else. A lot of women can't enter the "marriage market" without it being done. Many, many girls die from infections either straight after having it done, or later down the track.
    Sewn up? Sorry we are talking about the removal of the clitoral hood not the actual more severe mutilations


 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2012, 17:09
  2. American Horror Story
    By bada in forum Movies / Music / Books / TV Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 09:03
  3. Government Backs Gay Marriage?
    By Lily of the Nile in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 107
    Last Post: 13-12-2011, 23:10

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Mini Maestros
Nurturing Confident Learners. Mini Maestros offers music classes for children 6 months to 5 years of age. It is the longest running and most successful Australian business of its kind.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!