+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Meh, they could make it easier and easier and it will still get less and less popular, people are starting to realise that the reasons for getting it done are just not good enough anymore.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    Meh, they could make it easier and easier and it will still get less and less popular, people are starting to realise that the reasons for getting it done are just not good enough anymore.
    i agree. there will always be a selected few who will do it because its a cultural thing or a religious reason but i don't think the masses are going to start doing it again for hygiene or other reasons (like trying to reduce health problems). No matter what research comes out, i don't think that in this day and age, it's going to start a resurgence.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: American Academy of Paediatrics backs circumcision

I won't circ any of my sons, only because I, personally, don't see the point. But, why do some people think it's their right to make parents that do choose to circ feel like s#!t? It is legal and there are so many reasons why parents DO choose to circ.

It certainly is NOT child abuse, nor is it our right to call it so. It falls under the same category as vaccines, ear piercing, abortion and even c-sections; that of a parent's right to choose.

Just because we choose to do some things different to what other parents may, it does NOT make our decision right and theirs wrong, just DIFFERENT.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

Father  (31-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (01-09-2012),PR2bMum  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't call it abuse either. But I also can't see that you can compare it with vaccines (life saving) abortion (no one can force anyone to have an abortion) c/section (same as abortion). Ear piercing maybe, something that hurts, that is done to "look good" (??) for no medical benefit. Although personally I don't think that either circ or pierced ears (on children) look good, but I believe that is one of the reasons they are done.

Quote Originally Posted by MummaHan View Post
    I won't circ any of my sons, only because I, personally, don't see the point. But, why do some people think it's their right to make parents that do choose to circ feel like s#!t? It is legal and there are so many reasons why parents DO choose to circ.

It certainly is NOT child abuse, nor is it our right to call it so. It falls under the same category as vaccines, ear piercing, abortion and even c-sections; that of a parent's right to choose.

Just because we choose to do some things different to what other parents may, it does NOT make our decision right and theirs wrong, just DIFFERENT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Fantastically said. Thanks.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Father For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (31-08-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (01-09-2012)

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Closed temporarily for Mod discussion

...and now re-opened with a reminder that if you have a concern about a member please use only the report button to express this concern (or PM a Mod) rather than post in the forum.

Cheers,
    Biscotti
    Last edited by Mod-biscotti; 31-08-2012 at 20:26.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (31-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I don't call it abuse either. But I also can't see that you can compare it with vaccines (life saving) abortion (no one can force anyone to have an abortion) c/section (same as abortion). Ear piercing maybe, something that hurts, that is done to "look good" (??) for no medical benefit. Although personally I don't think that either circ or pierced ears (on children) look good, but I believe that is one of the reasons they are done.
    I can compare it to vaccines, because a lot of people that choose to circ believe they are doing it to decrease the chance of something bad.
    Although my point was more so, as long as it's legal, along with the other things that I mentioned, we shouldn't be jumping down someone's throat because they choose this. Have some compassion for one another, that is all. We do NOT have to agree with it, but accept it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Of course you can compare it with vaccines, anyone can compare anything with anything else. But scientifically they aren't even close, it is like comparing apples and oranges. But I do get what you are saying.

I think the debates get very heated. It is a very touchy subject for some, and I understand that. Personally, it doesn't upset me that others do it, I just don't get why you would bother.

I can compare it to vaccines, because a lot of people that choose to circ believe they are doing it to decrease the chance of something bad.
    Although my point was more so, as long as it's legal, along with the other things that I mentioned, we shouldn't be jumping down someone's throat because they choose this. Have some compassion for one another, that is all. We do NOT have to agree with it, but accept it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Of course you can compare it with vaccines, anyone can compare anything with anything else. But scientifically they aren't even close, it is like comparing apples and oranges. But I do get what you are saying.

I think the debates get very heated. It is a very touchy subject for some, and I understand that. Personally, it doesn't upset me that others do it, I just don't get why you would bother.
    I was mainly just stating different choices that parents can make.

Ah, I hate how antsy some people get over circ and other parenting related issues. I wouldn't bother either, but I'm not going to go out and hold a sign because some parent doesn't have the some stance on it that I do.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews

I disagree with many of these comparisons
    Vax - does not remove a part of the childs anatomy
    Ear piercing - is the closest because is a body modification
    Abortion - the child is ex utero for circ, and abortion is (generally ) performed before the fetus is viable but that is a whole other argument
    c-sec - again no part of the childs anatomy is removed or altered.

I know how nit picky that sounds but i feel the discussion deserves clarity, not tenuos parallels to other proceedure that are performed for very different reasons and don't have the same impact.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (01-09-2012)