+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Worried about DS's speech development

This is probably a popular topic and I know there was a thread a while ago about the same issue, didnt think too much of it back then. But another thread today got me thinking.....actually worried...

DS is 18 months old and I have never worried much about his development. He reached all the milestones within the textbook time range and I understand every child is different so havent put much thoughts into his speech development until now.

I googled last night apparently from 18~20 months toddlers are suppose to learn 10 words a day?? and able to use simple 2~3 word sentences before 2 years old.

DS seems to understand quite a bit of what we say, although he wont always react to what we say. He can say dog, ball, bird, more, go, no, truck, car and thats it! Theres no way he can talk 2 word sentences or learn 10 new words everyday! He usually just whinges when he wants/doesnt want something. Hes not able to tell me when hes hurt, uncomfortable, pee or poo.

We went to see a pediatrician a month ago for UTI and he asked if DS says mummy or daddy, and we told him he doesnt and he looked at us wierd. DS only calls for me 'mama' when he wants me otherwise he doesnt say it. He has never called out for DH even when he wants him.

Is this normal for his age? What was your toddlers speech development like?
    Last edited by tubster; 27-08-2012 at 23:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure where you got that info from but it doesn't sound right to me?

My DS is almost 17 months and says mum, dad, ta, shoes, see ya, bye, hi. he is really picky about when he says things, he understands a lot more than this though. I am a little bit worried but trying my best not to be.

Thanks
    Reviews

He sounds perfectly fine to me I wouldn't worry about it. The ONLY word my son could say at 18 months was "Ta Ta"! He is now 3 and has a mild speech delay but nothing major and he will catch up. My DD is 12 months and only says "Ta" (says the word "mumma" but not in context and not to me". I'm not worried, the range of normal is huge at this age.

Your son sounds right on par with normal and I don't know any kid under one who says two word sentences!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

tubster  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Please don't google...ask bubhub instead.

DS 19 mo has lots of words, about 70 a few weeks ago when I made a list and uses two word sentences. He also says mama and dadda a lot. BUT until 17 months (so maybe 8 weeks ago) he hardly said anything! He had probably 10 words and said daddy sometimes but never called me mum.

I reckon your DS is just a couple of months behind mine and in a few months will be amazing you with how much he knows. You say his comprehension is good - I think that's a really, really good sign. DS also has had great comprehension for a while now and it's like he's just been storing all these words up to suddenly start spouting them. He is honestly now equal in language with some of his friends who have been taking for 6 months.

It's so easy to worry and get caught up in comparisons I know, but honestly, what's a few months here and there? I'm sure your DS is fine.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

mishh  (27-08-2012),tubster  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Stop googling :-))
    Your baby is hitting his milestones when he should and how he should including speech. When he is 2.5 re asses your concerns , right now don't even worry !
    My son is 23 months and is a chatter box, sentences like "mummy I wanna eat please" when he was 18 months it was all single words.
    Even now he chats so much it's very unclear and those closest too him are the only ones who can understand :-)
    Stress less and google less mumma!!! Google is SOOOOOOOO wrong haha

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly8329 For This Useful Post:

tubster  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Agree stop googling!!
    I'm sure at that age my dd could only say mummy mine and no!
    Kids will only do what you teach them ... If you are truly worried I would do flash cards and some of those first word books but if he's anything like my dd the attention span won't be there!!
    Stop worrying

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Smartiecat For This Useful Post:

tubster  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Don't worry at all.

DS still was hardly saying any clear words at 20 months but understood everything. I got a referral to the paediatrician at 21 months and then bam, shazam, just after that he suddenly found his voice and now chatters a lot at 24 months so i cancelled the appointment.

You have plenty of time - agree with others, google shmoogle.
    Last edited by Ellewood; 27-08-2012 at 22:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mishh View Post
    Not sure where you got that info from but it doesn't sound right to me?

My DS is almost 17 months and says mum, dad, ta, shoes, see ya, bye, hi. he is really picky about when he says things, he understands a lot more than this though. I am a little bit worried but trying my best not to be.
    I got it from babycenter, speech development milestones. I am pretty sure thats what it says

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by duckduckgoose View Post
    Please don't google...ask bubhub instead.

DS 19 mo has lots of words, about 70 a few weeks ago when I made a list and uses two word sentences. He also says mama and dadda a lot. BUT until 17 months (so maybe 8 weeks ago) he hardly said anything! He had probably 10 words and said daddy sometimes but never called me mum.
    70?!! WOW! Thats a lot! I just cant imagine DS saying 70 words in a months time, hopefully he'll surprise me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    LOL its so hard not to google! After reading the thread about 17months old development, I couldnt help but think if my DS is a bit delayed! Sometimes I wonder if I take him to playgroups more or let him join some classes or something will make a difference to his development in all areas.