+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Baby Beehinds questions

I have 31 BBH bamboo fitted, and 12 itti bitti tuttos for this baby, but it's been a couple of years since I used cloth and I only used it extensively from 6 months last time, so I'm struggling with the following:

1. I have at least 10 small PUL covers (more than I need but they came with some secondhand ones), and 2 small wool covers. Are two wool covers enough, or should I buy a couple more?

2. Can I just skip the newborn covers? I expect this baby to be 4kg or more and a reasonable length, but possibly skinny thighs. the BBH site says small covers are good from 4kg up, but curious if that is other people's experiences.

3. Are flushable liners a waste of time for newborns? I used them religiously with my son, but he was a bit older so the poos were more formed.

4. Do other people use detergent? I remember dry pailing them, doing a cold rinse cycle, and then a hot cycle (with either no detergent, or a tiny amount of the Planet Ark stuff in the pink box) and then hanging them in the sun.

TIA.

Thanks
    Reviews

Bumping for you, I am also curious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Cant't help with all of it but my 4wk DD is 4.6kg and the small covers fit her fine though I pull them pretty much as small as they'll go - I use them over terry flats though so not sure if that would differ if using something else as they are quite bulky.. She has skinny legs too.

I've not used any liners so far, I just rinse the nappies under cold water and rub the poo out, works fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would definitely skip the newborn covers. They are too small to fit over a bbh bamboo fitted. I also found that the bbh bf didn't really fit till they get a bit bigger, so flats/prefolds are a better option.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to One of THOSE mums! For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (08-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I used cloth from about 3 months last time - don't bother with liners as the newborn poo will soak through and you can just rinse it off (either in sink or in toilet using little squirt).

As for detergent I make my own - equal parts soap flakes, bicarb and lectric washing soda powder. Use 1tsp per load for front loader, 3tsp for top loader. You could also get some Rocking' Green if you don't want to make your own.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used wool covers (fluffies) from birth, bit bulky but did the trick. Didn't use liners, would say they were not required til around 12 months for my babe. After that, definitely helped. And as for detergent... not really needed in summer thanks to the sun bleach, in other months - just a tiny bit, or soapnuts, depending on what's around. Dry pail for sure.
    You must be close to popping MsMummy! Looking forward to reading your homebirth story soon! Feeling good?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Oh and no need to wash in hot so long as they get some UV light to sanitise (or a hot tumble dryer).

Thanks
    Reviews

I can only help you with questions 3 and 4 as I've not used fitteds

3. Liners aren't required for newborn if your going to bf bub, bf poo is water soluble and imo would be too runny to be contained to the liner anyway! I started using flushable liners when bub got to 6.5 months and her poo became solid from eating food, they are awesome!

4. I've heard you don't need detergent but I just use about a quarter scoop of Eco store powder. We have a front loader so I do a prewash, normal wash and extra rinse, every so often I do another few rinses to make sure I don't get build up. I always dry them in the sun and haven't had any stains yet, we've been using our cloth nappies full time since 5 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: Baby Beehinds questions

Thanks for the replies. I ended up sticking with small covers.

I will try without flushable liners. Baby will be bf, so you're right in that they probably won't help.

I should try pre-folds but am a bit lazy. The mcns do look huge for a nb.

Borntobe, I'm 40+1 today, so ready to pop and (sort of!) Ready for my home birth.