+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    cmd'smum is offline Administrator
    I'm coming to get you Linda... ribbbit
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    We have re opened this thread as it is an important topic. Please keep the posts on topic and nice.

OP, FWIW, I'm a lawyer and I believe you should take this matter further.
    Not only is discrimination against women for having babies a no no but you may also have a potential action under constructive dismissal, i.e, your employer seems to be putting you in a position where you are thinking of leaving, he is making your employment dificult and unpleasant so that you leave rather than terminating your contract because you took time away from work to have a baby!

All the best!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cmd'smum For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cmd'smum View Post
    We have re opened this thread as it is an important topic. Please keep the posts on topic and nice.

OP, FWIW, I'm a lawyer and I believe you should take this matter further.
    Not only is discrimination against women for having babies a no no but you may also have a potential action under constructive dismissal, i.e, your employer seems to be putting you in a position where you are thinking of leaving, he is making your employment dificult and unpleasant so that you leave rather than terminating your contract because you took time away from work to have a baby!

All the best!
    Thank you

I was told yesterday that work is drying up and that he may cut my days to 2 days a week. The company I was given do book work for isn't busy, and being on a small scale, I am told it won't take longer than a day in total. I left the meeting yesterday in tears as I was told that he can not guarantee me work.

I know I should do something, but my boss is the type of person that checks everything with his lawyer, so I think I would get no where.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Work Descrimination after pregnancy?

He can't just cut your days like that while the person hired to replace you while on parental leave carries on as before.

If he has asked a lawyer I'm positive they must be a bad one!

Please call FWA and the EOC and see what they say in terms of next steps.

Have you started documenting everything?

xx

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

MsImpatient  (28-08-2012),ToonZie  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Yeeek what a terrible position he's put you in, you weren't even gone for that long! And while I understand things change and evolve in the workplace I'm pretty sure legally he is required to hold YOUR position an if anything your replacement is to be a secondary. I think your boss is trying to push you out, also he might not be aware of the serious repercussions he faces by his behavior! Stick him with all you can!
    Please please don't let it stress you out or depress you it's just a job your family is a million times more important than that!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (20-12-2012),WhiteSwan  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    By taking this further, it does not mean the only outcome is getting your old job back. If that worries you.

You may be entitled to compensation, so you can look for a new job, without a financial burdon.

please take a stand. It is just so wrong what this guy is doing.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MsImpatient For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (30-08-2012),ToonZie  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    He can't just cut your days like that while the person hired to replace you while on parental leave carries on as before.

If he has asked a lawyer I'm positive they must be a bad one!

Please call FWA and the EOC and see what they say in terms of next steps.

Have you started documenting everything?

xx
    Thank u so much for ur advice, I'm a complete mess.
    I have written bits and pieces, but I'm not sure what I should document. They did have a work conference a few months back, but I was not invited to attend. My replacement attended, in the past I was invited to attend. It is hard because I don't get direct info, I hear it from someone else in the company. My boss told me I was to have a meeting today with my replacement, so we can discuss taks on what I can help her out with. But she told me she is too busy and might do it on Monday with me. In the mean time I have been given some data entry.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteSwan For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I am so saddened to find how common these situations still are. I am currently trying to negotiate return to work terms with my employer and already facing roadblocks. Not only that but all members of my Playgroup that have had discussions with their employers have all had difficulties.
    Ranging from a couple who have been bullied into resigning to those like me who are just getting the run around and being pushed out of their department.....

I thought things had come further than this.....

I guess I'm having my eyes opened.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also never expected something like this to happen, it also has happen to a mother from my mothers group, but not to this extent. I made sure I did everything right by him, and the business, but all they care about is the business, I've been told everyone is replaceable in business. It sux and more employers need to be aware that they can not do this.

Thanks
    Reviews

Hey whiteswan I handle hr stuff for my boss and your boss is doing something very illegal. Call Fair Works and they will tell you what steps to take. As he is a small business owner and an arsxxxhole you will be helped. Don't panic and don't worry just do it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to samken For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by samken View Post
    Hey whiteswan I handle hr stuff for my boss and your boss is doing something very illegal. Call Fair Works and they will tell you what steps to take. As he is a small business owner and an arsxxxhole you will be helped. Don't panic and don't worry just do it.
    100% this ^ ^

I'm with the PP's in encouraging you to contact Fair Works! I suffered in a similar situation (minus baby). The org I worked for got a new set of directors with a few not liking me and I was excluded, bullied and had jobs taken from me etc. I went on workcover but was not paid anything until after mediation. It was totally f$&@ed and I thought at times that it's just easier to put up with it but in the end I moved on AND got compensation.
    Looking back now, it was def worth stickin it to them!

Good luck
    Last edited by Chillies; 28-08-2012 at 19:28.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Chillies For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (20-12-2012)