+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Work Descrimination after pregnancy?

I just want some advice, and wondering if this has happen to anyone else.

I have been working for a company for 4 years, and I went on maternity leave 3 days before my daughter was born (april) My boss found a replacement 1 month before I left, i am a trained bookkeeper, and my replacement was not a bookkeeper and has never done any bookkeeping before and so I had to teach her everything, that is why I finished so late in my pregnancy.
    While I was on maternity leave I stayed in contact with my employer, and occasionally went to visit.

After 6 months of maternity leave I went back to work ( i work for a small business) and we discussed I would start off with 1 day per week. When I started, I was told that I was to do data entry, and that I would occasionally help out my replacement.

I am now working 3 days a week. My replacement has now taken over my position, and i am given dribs and drabs to do by her... I am not allowed to do any of my previous work, and I have been given another company book work, but is minimal work, and it only takes 2 hours of my day, and not to the scale that I was doing before leaving work.
    When i spoke to my employer about my previous position I was told that I was the one that put myself in this "situation" and he will not remove his new employee from the position.
    I am being ignored, not included and I am instructed by my replacement what I am to do, but will only give me the basic stuff like filing My employer would not commit me to a work space, and after 3 months of working 3 days per week, I was given a laptop, which is not connected to the company network. I used to attend finance meeting, now Im not invited, and I don't get included in company emails.

Last week I had a performance review and I was told that I have attitude and that I don't make an effort to speak to my fellow workmates. I have tried to speak to them, but they don't make an effort to include me. I was told that my replacement is my manager, and I am a secondry administrator. I mentioned that i felt that i was being unfairy treated because i had a baby, and I was warned that he could make my position redundant, but they require my skills, and can not guarantee me a position. I was also told that it was my choice to put myself in this situation and that his business can not stop just because I have had a baby.

I am always stressed, and feel like I'm useless and it's affecting my personal life. I suffered from post natal depression and now I'm depressed because of this.

Has anyone been in the same situation? Would love to hear from anyone who has. I can't afford to leave until I find something else, but my self esteem has done down the drain.

Has anyone got advise on what I should do??

SpecialPatrolGroup is online now T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: Work Descrimination after pregnancy?

Call fair work, your boss sounds like he is trying to bully you out of youe position to punish you for the *situation* you created.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

backgroundnoise  (27-08-2012),cmd'smum  (27-08-2012),LoveHeart  (28-08-2012),Luvmydogs  (07-09-2012),MsImpatient  (28-08-2012),ToonZie  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tank you for responding,

I have called, and I'm not sure what will happen, I don't want to create a worse situation for myself.

I need to work until I find something else. And I don't have any references so its going to be hard finding another position.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have a past employer who could be a referee for you? Recruiters would likely understand if you don't have a referee from your current job that you don't want your employer to know you are looking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boss seems to think that he does not need to put me back into my old position, as for similar status, he has that covered by giving me some account work, but on a very small scale. He told me that things are running smoothly at the moment and does not want my situation to disrupt how things are going.

Every thing I do is looked at, And I find I am always criticized.

Very stressed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

This is completely illegal! I would talk
    to your employer again clearly outlining your concerns. Make sure you draw their attention to the relevant Fair Work and Discrimination legislation. If they still don't budge make them aware you will be taking it further. Document absolutely everything that has happened so far!!!

Good luck - this is outrageous. Sadly small employers often just don't understand employment law and think they can do what they want.

The person they replaced you with should only have been employed on a contract basis until you returned.

Let us know how you go. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

ToonZie  (20-12-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Work Descrimination after pregnancy?

I was in a very similar position... (if you check my profile and topics you will see the situation i was in) I was bullied and discriminated against on return from my maternity leave.

What state are you in?

I highly recommend you contact the equal opportunity commission.

I am lucky in that i found a new amazing job straight away and now couldn't be happier.

This happens to so many woman yet so many times they are bullied out and don't take it further. It was the hardest thing i have ever done but i ended up in mediation with the company and not only did i end up with a nice fat cheque, i got a written apology and the company had to do a refresher course in equal opportunity.

I never thought it would happen to me... Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or want some further details of the path i went down.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CupidsVictim For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (27-08-2012),MsImpatient  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Sounds like your employer has dotted the I's and crossed the T's. There might not be much you can do. Your employer has a point: being a small business it is harder to cover extended leave and they still have to make sure the business runs throughout the changes.

But man they are dumb. Treating you like that.. I mean don't they realise they will benefit in the long run if they treat you nicely and ensure you have good work to get your teeth into? I find it hard to believe there is no way they can share things better between you and your replacement.

Anyway if it were me I would grin and bear it for as long as I could. Be the 'easy' employee who doesn't give them any hassles, who does what they are told. In the hopes you might get a reference if you went for another job. Then when you are settled in the new job you can tell then to get stuffed.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CupidsVictim View Post
    I was in a very similar position... (if you check my profile and topics you will see the situation i was in) I was bullied and discriminated against on return from my maternity leave.

What state are you in?

I highly recommend you contact the equal opportunity commission.

I am lucky in that i found a new amazing job straight away and now couldn't be happier.

This happens to so many woman yet so many times they are bullied out and don't take it further. It was the hardest thing i have ever done but i ended up in mediation with the company and not only did i end up with a nice fat cheque, i got a written apology and the company had to do a refresher course in equal opportunity.

I never thought it would happen to me... Feel free to PM me if you want to chat or want some further details of the path i went down.

Thank you, I'll read ur profile. I'm in Victoria. Would like more Info

I never thought something like could happen, there are too many laws protecting employers.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I wouldn't even go to fairwork but instead go straight to the anti discrimination board in your state as they have victimisation coverage which I am not confident fairwork can offer (and yes you can complain to both!) ..... They are required to put you into a position of similar status and repeated exclusion from activities meets the definition of bullying.

I will come back after dinner with some links etc
    This !!
    It dosnt matter the size of the business, I have seen this before and the business got taken to court and she won. Just because they are small doesn't give them the right to discriminate against you.
    Best of luck

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ash1202 For This Useful Post:

cmd'smum  (27-08-2012),WhiteSwan  (27-08-2012)