+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default New room, transition to big bed - cot first?

Hi ladies

We are FINALLY ready to move DS (18 months) into his new room. We want him sleeping in a big bed which we have set up and he seems to love climbing on. I'm a bit unsure whether we should

a) Move his cot into his new room and let him sleep there for a few days or a week and maybe start with day sleeps in the big bed?

b) Go straight to the new room and the new bed all at once?

What are your thoughts? Or what did you do in this situation?

Thank you in advance

2. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're about to do this too. Our boy just turned 2 last week, and he'll be moving to a new room with a big boy bed soon..... I was thinking of putting his new bed in his room and leaving him to get used to it, and then moving him to his new room. Not sure though.... but he's not fussed of change, so maybe we'll just move it all at once......

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: New room, transition to big bed - cot first?

ds is 17 months and nowhere near being in a big bed yet but i understand every child is different . As a transition id move his cot in first then when he's settled move to the big bed.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Curious to see feedback for this too. Second mite on the way and need to do the room and bed shuffle as well!

Thanks
    Reviews

With all three kids they went straight from cot to new bed the day it arrived. No transitioning, just straight in. No dramas no fuss. And they all slept so much better.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I suggest leaving the cot where it is, taking him out to choose a new blanket and pillow, special toy, lamp and toy box (or let him personalise what you already have) for his new room.

Firstly if he's still having a day nap, I'd be putting him for his nap in his new room, and then still sleeping in his cot at night.. then once he was happy doing that and had a connection to 'his' room. I'd set up camp on a mattress on the floor and sleep next to him until he feels comfortable. Then just work on having him feel comfortable without you there. Everyone does this differently, some people sit in the room and then move further away towards the door. I tend to lie with them/sit with them, sing to them until they fall asleep.

But you have to do what works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Option A with OJandme's idea of camping out

We put the single bed in DD1s room next to the cot. Did day sleeps there for a couple of weeks. Then night sleeps. but she was 18/19mths old at the time.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks everyone. I'm going to start with his day sleep on Wednesday (I work tomorrow), then see how he goes. I'm going to put a mattress on the floor next to him because I want to see if he will fall asleep with me sleeping on the floor like that rather than being cuddled (similar to how he naps at MIL's). If that goes well for a couple of days I think we'll ask him if he wants to sleep in his bed or his cot for his night sleep and if he wakes up and freaks out one of us can sleep on the floor with him.