+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    OM, you obviously have experience with this. The diet doesn't look too bad to me, but I heard that the testing four times a day is a nightmare. People on GD forums have talked about sticking to the diet and the sugar levels go up anyway, and then eating a piece of cheesecake and the levels going down (sometimes). It just sounds like a situation where your heart is in your mouth four times every day hoping the sugar levels are right and you are not hurting your baby.

And is it just low GI, or is it also low carb? For example, chickpeas and brown rice.

What's your experience?
    If you do end up with GD they will send you to a dietician that will run through every aspect of what to eat and what not and if you don't eat certain foods they'll suggest others you could etc.

The finger prick test part isn't great and nor are injections but the hospital will train you on how to use your kit. My finger tips were quite tender by the end of the pregnancies but really that wasn't the end of the world

I can't say I'd eat cheesecake with GD but each to their own. As for the numbers going up and down that's okay and that happens, it's when they stay up or down that the Dr's will be concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Did my 1hr Glucose Tolerance Test..

Don't stress about the diet, I had GD with DS and I actually felt amazing as really it's just a really healthy diet. As for testing 4 times a day it really is not that bad and in fact not even painfull. Best advice for finger pricking is not to prick the tips of your fingers but to prick on the side of your fingers - just a nifty little trick my diabetic educator passed on 😃

Thanks
    Reviews

Finger prick tests?! I didn't even realize u had to do those!

Well I did the 2 hr test today- was nauseous, no headache, but crashed after, slept for hours! Not sure if it was glucose test related or pregnancy tired related.. will just hafta wait for results now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovelymum View Post
    Best advice for finger pricking is not to prick the tips of your fingers but to prick on the side of your fingers - just a nifty little trick my diabetic educator passed on
    Good advice - wish they'd told me that!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

lovelymum  (30-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry, I am totally clueless, but does everyone have to do the gtt or just those at risk/ with some kind of symptoms??

What does the test involve?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jesssalee View Post
    Sorry, I am totally clueless, but does everyone have to do the gtt or just those at risk/ with some kind of symptoms??

What does the test involve?
    Some obs and hospitals test everyone routinely some don't. There are some people who are more at risk which are age, obesity, multiples etc.

The tests to find out in short if you have GD are just drinking a drink and getting a blood test.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OM View Post
    Some obs and hospitals test everyone routinely some don't. There are some people who are more at risk which are age, obesity, multiples etc.

The tests to find out in short if you have GD are just drinking a drink and getting a blood test.
    Thanks OM, I'm such a newbie to some (ok, most ) of this stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    jesssalee, I don't know about everyone else, but I was routinely tested at 27 weeks with the glucose challenge test, which is a 1 hr non fasting test. If that comes back with sugar levels too high, they make you do the 2 hr fasting glucose tolerance test. I'm glad I was routinely tested because my GCT came back high and I actually have the opposite of every predisposition (I'm on the small side of normal weight, low blood pressure, baby on smaller side of normal, no family history).

Jo7, good luck! You were obviously smarter than me. I went to work after mine and the sugar crash happened at work. Not good! I'm anxiously waiting by the phone today for my test results. And thank you OM and Lovelymum. I've been pretty stressed about the finger pricks and having to stress out about blood sugar levels four times a day but you guys have made this sound not too bad!