+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Flying internationally...with a toddler tornado!

Oh lordy.

We are flying to Fiji in October when DS will be 20 months old. He is not the type of kid to just sit on someone's lap and be content - he is a very busy child and must be amused constantly!

He is a very assertive child, the type who tries to worm his way out of even holding your hand. We tried to sit him on our lap at the beach the other day and he did nothing but wriggle. DH and I looked at each other and said 'how the hell is he going to go on a 4 hour flight?'

We will take our iphones/ipad which will hopefully help keep him amused for a little bit, but I would love to hear from anyone who has flown with a toddler who can give me some tips on helping him cope with being on a plane for an extended period.

Any help appreciated

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    rock crayons, finger puppets, peek-a-boo bags, stickers, snacks that take a while to eat, magic texta books (where it is invisible ink and brings out color on the pages only), walks up and down the aisle, books

3. The Following User Says Thank You to halloweendee For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (27-08-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have flown to Perth and back a few times (5 hours) with the LO's and recently flew 25 hours internationally with two toddlers, so I have plenty of tips My eldest who is three at the moment is a very spirited kid...very assertive, strong willed, short attention span, full of energy and very good at siphoning energy too

The good thing about flying internationally is that there are usually movies on demand (dependent upon the airline of course) and most airlines that provide this service have a generous list of kids movies and cartoons. Kids are also provided with a "welcome pack" with a few activities, and then there are the kids meals on top of those things which tend to captivate kids because they generally come in a cool box. All of these are guaranteed to occupy your little one for most of the time if it's only four hours.

We also packed toys and books which our little ones had never seen or played with before, however in hindsight we would pack less of those, as they took up a lot of room. It's always good to have a few novel toys though, that you can pull out in times of need. Also pack snacks - not necessarily something filled with sugar, but something that he enjoys eating (rice crackers etc). It's definitely a good idea to have some "treat" type food on hand that he doesn't usually get. My toddlers are easily occupied by food, so this was good for us. If he starts to get fidgety then take him strolling up and down the aisle and visit the flight attendants - after the meals have been served they are usually happy to have a cuddle and say hello. The iPad was a saviour too, we loaded heaps of extra kids games onto it before going.

Make sure you pack spare clothes for your child AND yourselves - if he spews on you, you will want to be able to change your clothes. Keep nappies and wipes handy. Also pack a couple of extra large glad bags to seal off clothes in the event of a spew.

Four hours isn't that long, it will be fine!
    Last edited by Witwicky; 27-08-2012 at 12:03.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Ask the flight staff if they've any ideas when you get on board. Some will take them for little walks for you and others do facepainting etc

7. The Following User Says Thank You to OM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Some great ideas here

A 25 hour flight with a baby and a toddler Witwicky? Hats off to you! And here's me worried about 4 hours

DS is very charming and sociable so I think the flight attendants will probably enjoy interracting with him. I didn't really think of that aspect, I just thought we'd have to try and keep him on our laps as much as possible.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Degrassi View Post
    Some great ideas here

A 25 hour flight with a baby and a toddler Witwicky? Hats off to you! And here's me worried about 4 hours

DS is very charming and sociable so I think the flight attendants will probably enjoy interracting with him. I didn't really think of that aspect, I just thought we'd have to try and keep him on our laps as much as possible.
    Yeah they are usually helpful after meal time It's when they get to relax a bit more. Before that they are a bit rushed trying to do all of the little jobs associated with the start of the flight. In all of my experience, they seem to love cuddling little kids