+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Brushing 8 m/o teeth?

My DD is nearly 8 months old and has 6 teeth, I bought a toothbrush for her but it's a rubbery tip not a bristle tip which the assistant at the pharmacy recommended. The rubber tip doesn't seem to do much and DD just chews it, should I be switching to a bristle tip? Secondly, I have Macleans Milk Teeth toothpaste and it says to ensure babies don't swallow it but DD sucks it all off! Any tips/ideas.

Also, when should her first dental visit be? I am so clueless ^_^

Thanks
    Reviews
    I suggest you instead use a soft cloth to clean them for now?
    I don't see the need for toothpaste at all.

Thanks
    Reviews

We still use a cloth to wipe dd2's teeth (8 months old) and we didn't use toothpaste until dd1 was about 18 months as there is fluoride in the tap water started her with a bristle toothbrush at a year old to get the general idea. I'm only thinking about dd1's first dental visit now as she just turned 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Brushing 8 m/o teeth?

Just brush them with water, I would use an age appropriate bristle brush, the sooner you get them into a twice a day brushing routine the easier it will be later. DD1 has never resisted cleaning her teeth, we started right from first teeth, now she is 3 she loves it.
    Dentist wise, just take her along when you get your next check\clean, the dentist will just get her use to the chair and might have a quick look and give her a sticker, again it is just about making it 'normal' and not scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

We started brushing DS teeth at about 8 months when he had 4! We used give the soft bristle toothbrush to him in the shower or bath and he would copy us , then we would say swap, he would use my brush to brush my teeth and I would brush his with his little brush! We only started using toothpaste at about 1, fluoride free ( Weleda) and now at 22 months he loves brushing his teeth!
    DH is a dentist nerd and goes every 6 months ( which is great as I hate going!) and his dentist said to bring DS in at 2 purely as a check up and to get him used to coming in, again every year and at 5 before school he will do a proper check/clean and then to bring him yearly after that
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 27-08-2012 at 09:03.

Thanks
    Reviews

I gave DD a brush just so she got used to one, she mostly chewed and sucked on it but I would use a soft cloth at bath time etc to give her teeth a good clean.

Health stores have organic, safe to swallow toothpastes that littlies can use - maybe check ur local health food store? I know there's no real need for toothpaste, but I wanted DD to get used to the whole process

Thanks
    Reviews

I gave DS a bristled baby toothbrush at 5 months when his first tooth cut. We would play brush a few times per day and then I would do it myself properly before bed. Now he's 16 months with pretty much all his teeth. I brush his with water and then give them an extra wipe down just to be sure as he does likes to bite the brush a fair bit while I'm attacking his mouth!