+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Does this sound like a normal day for a newborn?

I'm a first time mum to a 2 week old DS and have no idea if our days/nights are normal for this age. We are basically on a 24 hour baby-led "routine" of sleeping for 2-3 hours (occasionally 1-4 hours), feeding as soon as he wakes, changing his nappy between breasts and then back to sleep again. There are some days where he screams in between of course, but the pattern is pretty much the same. He's rarely awake unless he's feeding, changing or screaming. Should I be encouraging more awake time during the day? His sleeps do seem to be generally shorter at night unfortunately, but not always.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Sounds pretty normal to me! As long as he is feeding enough and has enough wet and dirty nappies and is regaining to his birth weight. Has the MCHN weighed him?

Soon he will be awake more and you will wonder how you should entertain him! Or maybe that was just me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi CountryGirl that sounds pretty normal to me. My DD is almost 7 weeks and for the first few weeks she was very sleepy. Enjoy it while you can because they wake up soon and then it is a struggle to get them to sleep. DD fights her daytime sleeps and then gets over tired. Some babies are really easy to put to sleep though. Congratulations and enjoy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Sounds normal to me too. At that age the changing of nappy is all the activity time they can handle. If you want to encourage day versus night, feed and change in light and be more active and talkative during the day, and keep it very low key at night in dim lights and more relaxed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutley normal! I have found that after a couple/few weeks babies seem to 'wake up' like when they are first born they are still so sleepy so just eat and sleep and eat and sleep and then its like they realise there is a world out there and then they just refuse to sleep!

Enjoy your sleeping bubs now....get all the stuff done around the house while bubs is sleeping so well as their routines change often as they get older and he will be having lots of awake periods soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Very normal. We had a baby-led 'routine' for the first few months and even now I still feed on demand.

Try to get some sleep when bub sleeps. I remember saying to DH that I was bored, it wasn't as much work as I thought it would be. That changed! But it's even more wonderful every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like a normal little 2w/o to me! DS2 is 8 weeks and still only awake 30min-1hour including feed time. He has always needed lots of sleep. DD1 was the total opposite and was happily awake most of the day, even from this young age.

Enjoy your down time while you can! It can all change in the blink of an eye.