+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    Just wanted to clarify my comments - I was only disagreeing with the statement that women struggle to get jobs in law firms, not anything else - highly agree with the fact that it is a "boys club" in a lot of places and not compatible with spending a lot of time with your family. I have found the firms who advertise themselves as promoting work life balance are usually the very worst.
    I agree. The irony is most firms (the big ones) usually hire more women than men as graduates. And the vast majority of the women are better suited to the work particularly as what I did was extremely detailed driven and most of the men (I know I'm generalizing but it was my experience) didn't really enjoy the actual doing of the work, if that makes sense.

I remember a female partner summarizing it as simply as this. If I get an urgent job in and I have the choice between giving it to a full time employee who doesn't need to be home by a specific time vs a part timer who has to leave at 5.30 of course I'm going to give it to the full time employee, who is usually a male. Get enough of that sort of work and you get promoted. Quite simple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually applied for a job in a well-known "work/life balance" firm last year and was told they would not consider anyone part time as they already had "too many" part timers. Given that "part time" for me is four days in the office, the other day on call and logging in to the system from home most evenings and on weekends, I was quite astounded (but didn't bother challenging them as it was the last straw with private practice for me).

To me, the ideal workplace is set up so that everyone can work part time, whatever hours suit them and there is no negative effect on the work, firm or clients. I know it is possible. I just don't know how to break down the old-school attitudes so that our generation can implement it.

I have a friend who is setting up a firm like this (she's a single mum with a two year old who works for herself from home and has too much work and needs more hands) - she is currently looking for someone to work 5-15 hours a week for her from home. She is advertising all over Australia because she doesn't actually need a lawyer who is physically present - they can be anywhere. (Any corporate/commercial lawyers interested??). I have no doubt her business will work and hopefully it will show the rest of the legal world that it can be done really well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The real reason why more women don’t rise to the top of companies

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I actually applied for a job in a well-known "work/life balance" firm last year and was told they would not consider anyone part time as they already had "too many" part timers. Given that "part time" for me is four days in the office, the other day on call and logging in to the system from home most evenings and on weekends, I was quite astounded (but didn't bother challenging them as it was the last straw with private practice for me).

To me, the ideal workplace is set up so that everyone can work part time, whatever hours suit them and there is no negative effect on the work, firm or clients. I know it is possible. I just don't know how to break down the old-school attitudes so that our generation can implement it.

I have a friend who is setting up a firm like this (she's a single mum with a two year old who works for herself from home and has too much work and needs more hands) - she is currently looking for someone to work 5-15 hours a week for her from home. She is advertising all over Australia because she doesn't actually need a lawyer who is physically present - they can be anywhere. (Any corporate/commercial lawyers interested??). I have no doubt her business will work and hopefully it will show the rest of the legal world that it can be done really well.
    Oh.

Do you have a link to an ad for it?

I have some friends who are lawyers and who might be interested. Most have full or part time jobs but I know a few are working more than they would necessarily like.

Happy to share it on FB with them?

It's a great idea. And she's so right - for most commercial work there is no need for it to be done in an office.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Absolutely - she's asked us to spread the word. I'll send you a pm when I get home! :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Cool!

Thanks
    Reviews
    This article really struck a chord with me. As an assistant principal now returning as a classroom teacher because that is more easily accommodated on 2 days per week I know that short term demotion is a small part of the career sacrifice women often make.

They also lose out on accruing superannuation and various leave entitlements whilst not in the workforce.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I agree with the article.
    If you want to get to the top its in exchange for your life.
    I worked in the corporate world its a nightmare.
    I had to leave at 5pm it meant 'I wasn't putting in the effort'. If I left at 5,30pm I had better pray the traffic wasn't heavy or I was screwed.
    My DD suffered, I used to cry on my way to work.
    My exDH is currently climbing the corporate ladder and he tells me the stories of what happens if there are deadlines which is practically all the time.
    Once they worked 24 hours straight. He tells me of a couple who work there and they are high up, one time the lady admitted to him she never sees her kids.
    Once a graduates mother rang the boss and threatened him because her daughter had not been home in 24 hours due to work. The boss panicked and gave her a day off.
    I used to work with large companies sure they pay their top workers 100k plus but they want your blood in return.
    How are you supposed to do that with kids?
    My exDH studied for 8 years and now he tells me he is thinking of just going and driving forklifts because not only would he earn more with overtime but he wouldn't have to work 12-14 hour days.
    He told me he would love to find someone and get married but he doesn't even have time to find someone.
    I remember coming in to work in the morning and getting emails sent at 11pm or 2am or on a sat or sun.
    Its ridiculous, its not natural to live this way and for what? a nice house and car? life isn't in things but in people. Once a woman has children her mentality changes, her priorities change. Her child becomes number one not how much money you can make your company.
    So what are women to do? I know so many well educated, intelligent women who take part time jobs as receptionists in order to have a family. Or work in their chosen field but they know they will never get to the top because they simply cant or wont put in the time.
    Its hard enough for men with families let alone women.
    How many women barely see their husbands.
    Anyway I hate what the world has become.
    Couldnt agree more!