+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default The real reason why more women don’t rise to the top of companies

Interesting article in the Economist today...

http://www.economist.com/node/21560856

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, we still as a society, value the male ideal more:

- working long hours every day

- 'male brain' professions like mathematics, physical sciences, finance & strategy over female-dominated professions like social sciences, health care, care services

Men are good at compartmentaling their lives, whereas women try to do it all, and thus burn out because they are in fact doing more.

Men often have much more support - a wife who takes care of the house and children, does everything for them. Women don't.

The system was set up to suit the male ideal quite nicely a long time ago.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with the article.
    If you want to get to the top its in exchange for your life.
    I worked in the corporate world its a nightmare.
    I had to leave at 5pm it meant 'I wasn't putting in the effort'. If I left at 5,30pm I had better pray the traffic wasn't heavy or I was screwed.
    My DD suffered, I used to cry on my way to work.
    My exDH is currently climbing the corporate ladder and he tells me the stories of what happens if there are deadlines which is practically all the time.
    Once they worked 24 hours straight. He tells me of a couple who work there and they are high up, one time the lady admitted to him she never sees her kids.
    Once a graduates mother rang the boss and threatened him because her daughter had not been home in 24 hours due to work. The boss panicked and gave her a day off.
    I used to work with large companies sure they pay their top workers 100k plus but they want your blood in return.
    How are you supposed to do that with kids?
    My exDH studied for 8 years and now he tells me he is thinking of just going and driving forklifts because not only would he earn more with overtime but he wouldn't have to work 12-14 hour days.
    He told me he would love to find someone and get married but he doesn't even have time to find someone.
    I remember coming in to work in the morning and getting emails sent at 11pm or 2am or on a sat or sun.
    Its ridiculous, its not natural to live this way and for what? a nice house and car? life isn't in things but in people. Once a woman has children her mentality changes, her priorities change. Her child becomes number one not how much money you can make your company.
    So what are women to do? I know so many well educated, intelligent women who take part time jobs as receptionists in order to have a family. Or work in their chosen field but they know they will never get to the top because they simply cant or wont put in the time.
    Its hard enough for men with families let alone women.
    How many women barely see their husbands.
    Anyway I hate what the world has become.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (22-09-2012),MINIRoo  (28-08-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (27-08-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (27-08-2012),swizzlestick  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i 100% agree wit this artical!!! Woman CANT do it all...even if they want too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I totally agree with the explanation of WHY it is that there are so few women in senior corporate positions. What I don't agree with is the attitude of "if you can't balance your family with corporate culture, then it's not for you". No - it's not us who need to change - it is corporate culture that needs to change.

It's time we de-standardised the workplace for everyone. Once flexible working hours and proper work/life balance is available to everyone (not just mothers) then I reckon you will find the percentage of women at the top will increase. The "you must be here until midnight every night or you won't get promoted" attitude needs to go. For everyone.

Technology and the way we work has changed dramatically in the last 15-20 years. Why do we still cling on to the same work culture that existed 60 years ago?

As I sat in bumper to bumper traffic this morning I wondered - WHY does everyone have to be at work by 8-9am. In the 60s you had to because otherwise you couldn't communicate with your colleagues or your clients, there was no other way. But now?

Most of the people I was stuck in traffic with could start at 6am or 11am or 3pm and it would make no difference. They would still get their work done. They can usually work from anywhere - why must they be in the office a set number of hours to be considered doing their job?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (22-09-2012),Luna Lovegood  (27-08-2012),MsTruth  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    I totally agree with the explanation of WHY it is that there are so few women in senior corporate positions. What I don't agree with is the attitude of "if you can't balance your family with corporate culture, then it's not for you". No - it's not us who need to change - it is corporate culture that needs to change.

It's time we de-standardised the workplace for everyone. Once flexible working hours and proper work/life balance is available to everyone (not just mothers) then I reckon you will find the percentage of women at the top will increase. The "you must be here until midnight every night or you won't get promoted" attitude needs to go. For everyone.

Technology and the way we work has changed dramatically in the last 15-20 years. Why do we still cling on to the same work culture that existed 60 years ago?

As I sat in bumper to bumper traffic this morning I wondered - WHY does everyone have to be at work by 8-9am. In the 60s you had to because otherwise you couldn't communicate with your colleagues or your clients, there was no other way. But now?

Most of the people I was stuck in traffic with could start at 6am or 11am or 3pm and it would make no difference. They would still get their work done. They can usually work from anywhere - why must they be in the office a set number of hours to be considered doing their job?
    I agree. Flexibility is the key.

Having worked in an international technology/finance company I know how much can be done remotely as well as allowing flexible working hours.

Sure, some meetings need to be face to face, but so many doesn't really need to be. Meetings can be done via both phone and over the Internet - people can view changes being made to documents in real time on their computers at the same time as discussing them on a teleconference.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    Did you read this article at all?

Pretty sure women can have top jobs and can have a family and a social life, if there wasn't unrealistic expectations of how much time at the office vs. actual productivity, and less old-fashion gender bias. Also, it's more logical in a office environment to have a vairety of 'hot desks' and offer staff a more flexible approach from home. With cloud servers and other technology it's very easy to work remotely, and proven that people are often more productive in the peace of their home, opposed to a crowded office with office politics, distraction and other social issues.

Do you think men CAN'T have it all as well?
    Last edited by Luna Lovegood; 27-08-2012 at 10:02.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Luna Lovegood For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I used to work 60 plus hours a week ( before DS) as did DH, I could do it again now but would hardly see my son, which is why I stopped , DH also has cut back to about 55 for the same reason as he misses his son too! I tried working from home but it's too hard with a toddler and I really could not do it properly or as well as I could from the office- I'm lucky I only go in now once a week and do bits and pieces from home but obviously the sacrifice is the money but we are very happy to sacrifice that until DS is in high school

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jennibear View Post
    You know, I don't think anyone can do it ALL but there are plenty of us who come very close.

I have a successful career and a happy, bright DD. I've done it all myself since DD was 11 months. I'm not saying this to brag - I've only really been able to do it through excellent family support, flexible employers and technology that allows me to work from home after DD is in bed if I need to finish something, check emails, etc. I am living proof that women can do it all if the right support and culture is there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with Missie_mack.

I feel some major changes need to happen not just so women can rise to the top but so men can feel 'free' to spend a lot of time with their families.

I remember when I was at uni studying law a female tutor I had actually made a point to tell us ladies how hard being a lawyer would be for us to even get jobs (said law was still a 'boys club') let alone be taken seriously and basically told us if we wanted children be prepared to never ever see them or pick a different career path