+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, my daughter just turned 11 and has had pubic (but no underarm) hair for around 12mths now. About 2 months ago she was having some changes in CM etc and I prepared her for school by explaining how to use a pad, what is happening to her and answering any questions she had. I remember that I got my period at school when I was 13 and although I knew what it was, I was unprepared. So, she had a few pads and some panadol in a ziplock bag. But.....on the weekend we were away on holiday, shopping and she got her first period there! I had to have her mind her 3 younger sisters (in parents room) while I ran down to woollies for pads/knickers. So, my advice to you is make sure your little girl has pads on hand for wherever she is going!! Also, I am wanting to do something special to celebrate this enormous occasion in my daughters life. Maybe a dinner just me and her , or a special piece of jewellery . I think it is a natural and beautiful thing (in terms of one day being able to create and carry her own child )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I clearly remember how I felt when I started to go through puberty. I felt embarrassed and kind of grossed out by it all. I certainly did not want to talk with my Mum about it...however, that is no reflection upon how I felt about my Mum. My feelings about this changed after a while. I think I just needed time to process it by myself and to feel that my body was private. I think I felt like because I was growing breasts my development could be seen and noticed by everyone...which, in a way, is true.
    I think your daughter will start to feel more comfortable with her body and its changes before too long. Her current embarrassment or awkwardness is really normal and it is not a reflection on her closeness our feelings about you... She is a lucky girl because she knows that she can talk with you when she is ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    And for those who prefer the Internet, the following website is good,
    www.likeitis.org.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    Once her hair comes in I recommend taking her to buy pads etc (let her pick) and a nice purse. Pack her a fresh pair of undies and a pad in the purse to keep in her school bag.
    You can actually join Libra girls (online) and they will send you out a cute little pursepack filled with emergency supplies. The best part is the little purse thing doesn't look like that's what it is, it's really cute! It also has FAQ and a place to ask questions etc.

I was an early developer. 9 when I had my first cycle. My daughter had breasts developing at 9 and p. hair following closely behind. Her first cycle came at 11.
    Talk through everything. How normal it is, of course she doesn't want it now, but all of those girls saying things like "dirty" when it comes to a natural process that ALL girls will face should be felt sorry for. When their time comes how awkward and horrid would they feel?

When DD first started developing she was picked on, even by her close friends, simply because she was the only one. We actually moved her due to a number of factors and she is very happily NOT the only hormonal girl in the new school. This helps. Isolation and being singled out hurts. The big thing was to not make a big deal about it all, but listen and discuss other perspectives. "I know you don't want breasts/hair/periods now but there's no point worrying about that, all girls get them, let's talk more about how you can respond to hurtful comments..." type of thing.

It seemed to help making our DD feel normal, more assertive and yet also more empathetic towards the ignorant girls who were going to get a much ruder wake up call....
    Last edited by Notably Nutty; 20-03-2013 at 23:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my DD has her period she prefers to wear the school shorts instead of a skirt. And if she has to wear a skirt she wears small short shorts underneath. Just another option to think about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just wanted to recommend a book for you - Its called Poppy Pretzel and is written from the little girls persepctive. I actually read it before I gave it to DD and it is a good one. I have also been recommended the Kaz Cooke one.

My oldest has just turned 12, I am as open with her as I can be, but sometimes it can be difficult.

As someone else suggested, I took her shopping so she chose some pads and liners and has a cute little bag to keep them, and some spare underwear (and a nappy bag to put others in), which she keeps in her school bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 5galsndad View Post
    Hi, my daughter just turned 11 and has had pubic (but no underarm) hair for around 12mths now. About 2 months ago she was having some changes in CM etc and I prepared her for school by explaining how to use a pad, what is happening to her and answering any questions she had. I remember that I got my period at school when I was 13 and although I knew what it was, I was unprepared. So, she had a few pads and some panadol in a ziplock bag. But.....on the weekend we were away on holiday, shopping and she got her first period there! I had to have her mind her 3 younger sisters (in parents room) while I ran down to woollies for pads/knickers. So, my advice to you is make sure your little girl has pads on hand for wherever she is going!! Also, I am wanting to do something special to celebrate this enormous occasion in my daughters life. Maybe a dinner just me and her , or a special piece of jewellery . I think it is a natural and beautiful thing (in terms of one day being able to create and carry her own child )
    That is a lovely thing to do!

When I first got my period I told my mum and said to her that I felt like a woman now. She laughed at me and said no you are not. You are still just a kid.

I felt so belittled. It was terrible. I was feeling so proud of myself and she made feel awful.

So a nice dinner or something with just the two of you sounds wonderful!