+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Girls and puberty. How to deal with it all...Im worried.

I have a 9 yr old DD.
    She is slowly showing signs of going through puberty.
    Her breasts are slowly developing so I bought her those bonds training bras, you know the ones that look like crop tops just in plain white. She doesn't wear them all the time, not under her school uniform just if she is feeling uncomfortable with what she is wearing as in if the top or dress is a light fabric etc.
    I have told her its up to her when she wears them.
    A few night ago she told me she is getting pain and she pointed to where (it was around the ovaries area) I have already explained to her about periods and how normal it is etc. Also about pads and tampons etc.
    Lately she has been having tantrums, afterwards she always comes to me and apologies, when I ask her why she is like that she says she doesn't know she just gets angry over little things and cant control it. I'm thinking maybe hormones?
    Anyway to be perfectly honest I'm a bit scared.
    I want my DD to come to me with everything I want her to be comfortable to talk to me about her body but she seems so shy sometimes almost like she thinks it is wrong to ask me questions. I don't know why?
    I have always been honest and open with her, I have never been upset no matter what she asks me. I have explained to her about se.x (obviously in an age appropriate way) to which she responded with it being gross along with boys.
    Anyway I guess I'm just looking for people who have been in a similar situation or who can give me a few pointers.
    I really want to be close to my DD, I want to have a good open relationship with her. I don't want her to be scared and sometimes she seems like she is.
    She knows she will get hair soon but she told me she doesn't want to get it and she almost seemed mad that she will.
    Any advice on how to best handle puberty in a girl?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I am on my 2nd dd going through puberty, What exactly do you want to know?

Dd1 is 18 and dd2 is 11 and dd3 8

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by anewme View Post
    I am on my 2nd dd going through puberty, What exactly do you want to know?

Dd1 is 18 and dd2 is 11 and dd3 8
    Good question, I don't know.

Look if I'm perfectly honest I get this feeling from what DD tells me that the
    girls at school talk. DD told me once that a girl told her periods make you a
    dirty person. I guess its things like that I'm worried about.

DD is really shy and she seems uncomfortable with what is happening with her
    body. I guess I want to know how I can make her feel what is happening is ok,
    you know? with the whole bra situation she seemed so embarrassed even of me,
    she really didn't want the girls at school to notice.

She didn't want breasts. It seems like she isn't ready for what is happening

Maybe what I'm saying is making no sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Ok Can i recomend a book, it a christian one but really good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Just keep the lines open. I was amazed at the things dd1 brought home from school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just keep the lines open. I was amazed at the things dd1 brought home from school.
    Thanks will look into the book.
    Yep sometimes its just scary what they come home with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Once her hair comes in I recommend taking her to buy pads etc (let her pick) and a nice purse. Pack her a fresh pair of undies and a pad in the purse to keep in her school bag.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Once her hair comes in I recommend taking her to buy pads etc (let her pick) and a nice purse. Pack her a fresh pair of undies and a pad in the purse to keep in her school bag.
    Good idea, didnt even think of having something ready in her school bag.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    There's a book called "Puberty Girl" which I already have tucked in the bookshelf.
    I got my first bra (a bloomin' B cup) and my period on the same day when I'd just turned eleven and I was well informed and prepared before the actual event.

ETA, do make sure she has supplies and show her both pads and tampons, try not to be led by what you use. Slim pads and tampons are so much easier to tuck into a pocket.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 26-08-2012 at 21:34.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Girls and puberty. How to deal with it all...Im worried.

I was angry when I went through puberty. I mean why do you want to deal with hair removal, periods and dealing with breasts when you never had to before? I didn't want to... I wanted to be a hairfree kid without caring about those things.

Tbh it had nothing to do with mum or my feelings towards her... I was just angry that I had to go through puberty and that with that came extra responsibilities.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

PurpleButterfly4  (20-03-2013)