+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overweight and pregnant.

I'm rather worried about my weight and being pregnant. I am 163-164cm tall ( can't remember) and I'm 86 kilos. This makes my bmi 32.4.
    Just wondering if anyone else was or is a similar position and if this complicates the pregnancy. I spoke to a midwife and apparently if your bmi is over 35 they get you to see a nutritionist. I'm worried that if I gain weight and go over that by the time I'm due will that make me a high risk catergory pregnancy. My diet is average and there is room for improvement but I'm making slow changes due to bowel problems.
    Any advice would be great.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I'm 5'3 so I think that's the same height. When I fell pregnant with DD I was 104kgs and gained 12kgs. I had a bit of a high reading on the 1 hour glucose test so they sent me for the 2 hour one which came back fine. Apart from 35 weeks of spewing I had no complications and my DD is happy, healthy and just perfect. Good luck with your journey but I'm sure you won't need it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm pregnant with my first and I'm 171cm tall and was 98 kg when I conceived. At the beginning of my ivf journey I was 89 kg eek!!!! I'm booked in to try the natural way with my birthing centre and just scraped in with my bmi but I am on strict don't gain any weight so will see what they say lol. I'm almost 17 weeks pregnant and I'm now 100.5 kg so I've only put on 2 kilos and I'm trying to eat healthy and all that so I don't put weight on lol.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to queenvee For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh whoops just read your post again sorry I didnt post advice but I'm happy to chat about our pregnancies and support you on your journey

7. The Following User Says Thank You to queenvee For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm 163cm and I was 103kilos and gained 12 my pregnancy was fine.
    I did fracture my pelvis at the end of my pregnancy and had SPD but I'm pretty sure that because my son was 10 pound 7 my stomach was huge!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ~BEXTER~ For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was very overweight when I fell pregnat. I am about 175cm tall and was 106kgs when I fell pregnant. I was really stupid and didn't make any changes, I didn't realise how overweight I was. I gained alot of weight and by the end of my pregnancy I was about 135kgs or something like that. My pregnancy was ok apart from blood pressure issues which existed beforehand and got worse throughout. I was induced for this reason and ended up with an emergency cesarean. My second pregnancy was so close to my first I had just gotten back down to about 103kgs when I fell pregnant again but put on much less weight this time, was more active and ate alot better. I was taken off blood pressure meds towards the end of my pregnancy after being on them for about 4 years. That was a good feeling., Overall my health was alot better and I had a successful natural birth.

Weight can complicate your pregnancy but my advice is to start making changes now, it can make a huge difference to your pregnancy and labor.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Theophania For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I was also overweight when I fell pregnant. I just tried to eat well and limit anything junky.

I think cutting out soft cheese and alcohol helped my weight. Cheese was definitely a weakness for me

I ended up weighing less when I went into labour than I did at start of pregnancy!

I didn't try to lose weight, I was just conscious of providing a healthy diet to my bub. I didn't even exercise. My OB feels that the weight drop was just down to my body working harder to care for my baby and me eating well.

I had a complication free pregnancy and my DS was born at 38weeks weighing in at 3.5kgs.

I think if you are conscious of the risks of your weight you will be more careful to not "eat for two" and indulge every craving. This will naturally reduce your weight risks.

Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to giggle berry For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies for your replies. I'm glad I'm not alone and that everything went well for you. Did anyone else have to see nutritionist if you get to a certain weight? I really don't want to see one. I feel stressed and pressured when I've spoken to some In the past. Since being pregnant Ive stopped the coke and been drinking heaps more water. I drink more milk and I've tried to introduce more fruit but it doesn't end very well. Any suggestions on maintaining weight?

Thanks
    Reviews

I was just conscious of everything I ate. I still had chocolates and chips etc, but I limited myself and tried to be strict. If I wanted snacks I had to have fruits/salad/breakfast etc.
    Small meals often.
    Cut back on how much pasta and potatos I was eating (a lot more sweet potato instead) and would try to snack on air popped popcorn.

Also walking 2-3 times a day, just gentle short walks nothing extreme. I maintained my weight until the last 5 or so weeks then put on 6kg.

I honestly felt so much healthier for it, the first few weeks was hardest, once my habits started changing though it got so much easier.

Perhaps seeing a nutritionist isn't such a bad idea! I wish I had some help as to what was or wasn't going to be good for me!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bizzybee For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm 170cm tall and weigh 89.2 (was 86.5 when I fell pregnant do have gained 2.7kg in 12 weeks which I am told is average for pregnancy) I had lost 9kg when I fell pregnant and my dr told me to stop losing weight now I was pregnant. I thought that was weird because I am overweight I thought it would be better to keep going as long as baby was getting enough nutrition. It's been hard though and I work as a courier so I'm constantly on the road and have to eat takeaways for lunch- I am trying to do the healthy thing by just ordering a burger with no chips but sometimes I just feel like chips! Haha on quiet days I get to eat noodle box so I try to eat there as much as possible as it's a lot healthier. I think as long as you always try to make the healthier choices (even if it is just not ordering chips on the side) you shouldn't gain too much. Have an apple instead of potato chips as a snack, drink water instead of soft drink- every small step counts! And maybe go for walks? I HATE walking but my dogs give me the motivation to get off my butt :-)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KaylaH For This Useful Post:

Baby mad  (28-08-2012)