Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Interesting article in Weekend Australian

Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    And I'm disgusted by the German government's ban of the practice, what a insensitive decision to make seeing how many Jews were killed by them. That's not so long ago!
    So... In order to atone for sins of the past the German government should let Jewish people cut their sons Penis for no medical reason?

Sorry but I disagree. A group being the victim of major human rights abuses doesn't give that group the right to do whatever they want for ever, including commiting human rights abuses against their sons.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (28-08-2012),Gandalf  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    The only thing I OWN is the responsibility to nurture, guide, love and protect him as long as I live.(IMO).
    Bingo. We circumcised our boys to protect them from a 7% likelihood that they would go through months or years of pain before ultimately requiring a circumcision when they are older. We chose the option of the 5 minute procedure when they were babies, to ensure that no issues occur for the rest of their lives. It was a difficult decision, but one we made after careful consideration.

I do not need you or anyone else to agree with me to validate this decision we made.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Absolutely, I'm sure there are Jewish and Muslim men unhappy about being circumcised, and hopefully, through them and the awareness they can create in their communities, the practise will become less common. And yes I agree FGM is awful and have no desire to have it legalized, but I think it would be highly offensive to a woman who has been through it to be told by someone with very little understanding of the deeper issues, that it is mutilation etc.

I guess I am just saying that although I personally don't agree with these things, I believe it is important to acknowledge that my (our) understanding of the cultural and religious meaning attached to circumcision is very limited, and therefore I'd prefer if those people themselves changed their practice rather than being the stereotypical white/western hero going in and enforcing MY values onto them.
    In the last twenty years, FGM has received a lot of attention due to women who have actually had the procedure performed on themselves and have taken it upon themselves to raise awareness about the practice and fight for women's rights in these areas...one woman in particular was born in Somalia into a nomadic clan, was circumcised as a child, escaped the clan as an older child and later became the UN Special Ambassador for the Elimination of Female Genital Mutilation. She has worked tirelessly against FGM, along with many, many others (including African physicians who have tended to victims of the procedure). I sound like i'm ranting, but what i'm getting at, is that it's not a case of white/Western 'heroes' swooping in and pressuring these people to change their practices. The same goes for Islamic and Jewish individuals who speak up against RIC.

I might sound like a intolerant, bigoted person living in my safe little corner of the world, but I guarantee that it couldn't be further from the truth. I just believe in human rights for ALL.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (27-08-2012),Gandalf  (27-08-2012),Turk EnJayDee  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackEyedPea View Post
    Of course you don't expect your children to make informed decisions regarding circumcision - they aren't able to as babies, but that was my point. Let them decide once they're adults. Telling them they need to brush their teeth and when to go to bed are not the same as cutting off part if their body!

I am also 100% responsible for my child, BUT I don't assume I own him, not in the sence that I have a right to say, cut off the tip of his pinky just because I believe strongly in the practice. The only thing I OWN is the responsibility to nurture, guide, love and protect him as long as I live. But his body is his own, and he was born just perfect - no adjustment needed (IMO).
    Can I ask.. for arguments sake.. should we wait until my DS is a grown adult and allow him to make the decision on his own.. to have his ear tag removed?
    This is a medically unnecessary procedure... Is this adjustment needed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    There is an interesting article in the SMH from a couple of hours ago which you may be interested in.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...s-circumcision

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for the link.

I will have a look at the AAP statement rather than the SMH article although a quick perusal indicates that the potential health benefits cited relate almost exclusively to STIs which are better dealt with by vaccinating against HPV and education about safe sex. Or circumcision as a consenting adolescent/adult if a young man should so choose.

The exception is UTI which is rare, and in which the benefit of circumcision is only seen in the first year of life.

I am also interested in the social context (USA has higher circ rates anyway) but will withhold judgement until after I've seen the AAP statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    In the last twenty years, FGM has received a lot of attention due to women who have actually had the procedure performed on themselves and have taken it upon themselves to raise awareness about the practice and fight for women's rights in these areas...one woman in particular was born in Somalia into a nomadic clan, was circumcised as a child, escaped the clan as an older child and later became the UN Special Ambassador for the Elimination of Female Genital Mutilation. She has worked tirelessly against FGM, along with many, many others (including African physicians who have tended to victims of the procedure). I sound like i'm ranting, but what i'm getting at, is that it's not a case of white/Western 'heroes' swooping in and pressuring these people to change their practices. The same goes for Islamic and Jewish individuals who speak up against RIC.

I might sound like a intolerant, bigoted person living in my safe little corner of the world, but I guarantee that it couldn't be further from the truth. I just believe in human rights for ALL.
    No you don't sound intolerant at all, I also believe in human rights for all. I'm just saying what we in the west deem a human right might be different to what others think. I'm glad women (and men) are speaking up as I believe the change needs to come from within the communities.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (27-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Wow, how distressing for that poor little child.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthemum View Post

I am also interested in the social context (USA has higher circ rates anyway) but will withhold judgement until after I've seen the AAP statement.
    Yes, with higher rates of HIV/aids as well.

Isn't circumcision supposed to prevent HIV? Yet they have a higher rate than elsewhere
    Last edited by BigRedV; 28-08-2012 at 06:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    There is an interesting article in the SMH from a couple of hours ago which you may be interested in.

http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...s-circumcision
    Lets be clear. The AAP does NOT recommend routine circumcision for babies.

They have said the benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks. But overall the benefits are so small that routine circumcision is NOT recommended. So the AAP is actually against what you did (circumcise your child based on a 7% risk factor).
    -----They have said it Should remain a parents choice though... As circumcision is still wide spread in what is a very conservative and religions nation (USA).
    ---- If there weren't the cultural factors involved Im guessing the AAP would recommend a ban just like Germany.

No medical authority in any western/developed nation recommends mass routine circumcision of infants.

Here's a link to the actual AAP page which details their stance.
    http://www.aap.org/en-us/about-the-a...cumcision.aspx
    Last edited by VicPark; 28-08-2012 at 06:34.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast