Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Interesting article in Weekend Australian

I don't want to start another trigger debate so hot on the heels of the last thread on circumcision and potential ban in Tasmania. I think there was ample opportunity for a robust discussion of most viewpoints before it got closed.

However I wanted to flag an interesting (and pretty well balanced) article in the Weekend Australian Magazine (25/26 Aug).

Link here:
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226454065974

ETA - the only reason I've put it in the Discuss It sub forum is that it will be of interest to "both sides".

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    no comment...so glad I don't have a son!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    apparently i need to be able to log in to read the whole article :-(
    anyone willing to sum it up for me?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (26-08-2012),Brunfelsia Dreaming  (26-08-2012),Witwicky  (26-08-2012),~BEXTER~  (26-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Couldn't read the whole article as I don't have a log in

Wouldn't want to comment without reading it in full.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    apparently i need to be able to log in to read the whole article :-(
    anyone willing to sum it up for me?
    Yes same here.

Thanks
    Reviews

I could cut and paste but it's quite long. Try googling it. I think I put in "weekend Australian circumcision" but the title of the article is "The First Cut". If you would like me to cut and paste I can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Cut and Paste would be good.

We only get the first two paragraphs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Chapter 1:

THE young Muslim couple who telephoned the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne had a seemingly straightforward request: they wanted doctors at the hospital to circumcise their two-year-old son.

Like all observant Muslims they understood that removing the foreskin of male children is a tradition that goes back to the Prophet Mohammed, signifying both bodily purity and affirmation of faith. But although their family doctor had provided them with a written referral, they were surprised to learn that Melbourne's biggest paediatric hospital had recently changed its policy on circumcisions, and only performed the procedure in its public wards when it was a medical necessity.

The young couple, Fadi and Saamiya Khan (their names have been changed to comply with court non-identification orders), were about to discover in horrific circumstances that getting a child circumcised in Australia for religious reasons can be a difficult business. Many paediatricians now frown on the practice, most professional medical bodies are opposed to it and child-rights campaigners have even likened it to a form of abuse. Queensland is the only state that offers "elective" circumcisions - those done for non-medical reasons - in its public hospitals, so most parents looking for a capable doctor must rely on Google or word-of-mouth recommendations. In the Khans' case a friend told them about Dr Mohammed Mateen Ui Jabbar, a GP who advertised in Muslim newsletters that he had performed 3000 circumcisions, and they booked an appointment with the 64-year-old Indian-born doctor for the end of January 2008.

What the family didn't know was that Mohammed Jabbar had been found guilty of unprofessional conduct in 2005, for overprescribing steroids, and was about to be found guilty again over his conduct towards a female patient. "He [had] experience in circumcisions, so we decided to go with Dr Jabbar," Fadi Khan later told a Medical Board hearing. "We did not expect it was going to be so complicated."

Dr Jabbar's preferred method of circumcision was the Plastibell device, a clear plastic bell-shaped cap which fits over the head of the penis under the foreskin. A thin ligature is tied around the foreskin and tightened into a groove on the Plastibell's outer circumference, crushing the foreskin into it. Surgical scissors are used to remove the foreskin, and an anaesthetic ensures the procedure is painless. But for a toddler such as the Khans' son, the experience can be frightening, and he was so agitated as he lay on Dr Jabbar's examination table that his father and grandfather each had to hold one of his arms.

"He was restless - distressed, basically," Fadi Khan testified. "He was scared ... I was trying to cover his eyes because he was looking at the skin being removed." The Plastibell is designed to remain in place for several days afterwards, eventually falling off painlessly with the last remnant of dead skin. But when the Khans returned home that evening, their son remained upset and complained that he could not urinate. The boy suffered a condition that made him susceptible to infection, and by 10pm Fadi Khan was sufficiently alarmed to telephone Dr Jabbar and report that his son was crying and unable to urinate. The doctor, he recalled, said the boy "may be scared [of urinating] because of the surgery, that it was psychological ... So if he was not passing urine, to give him more fluids."

That night the family did not sleep as their son, unable to relieve his bladder, became increasingly distressed. Just before dawn, Fadi Khan realised his son was extremely ill, and on removing the boy's nappy saw that his scrotum was badly swollen. The parents called an ambulance, which rushed him to Emergency at the Royal Children's Hospital, where a surgeon discovered that the Plastibell had been incorrectly fitted, blocking the end of the boy's penis. His grossly swollen scrotum was the result of trapped urine building up inside his genitals and surrounding tissues.

He underwent surgery, but the urine had already caused an infection which, over the days that followed, necrotised the skin on the young boy's scrotum and surrounding areas. The two-year-old spent a month at the hospital, during which he developed gangrene and suffered high swinging fevers, eventually undergoing six operations, including skin grafts, which failed to stop the atrophying of one side of his scrotum. Dr Neil McMullin, then head of urology at the hospital, later testified that the Khans' son could have died without hospital intervention.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yikes! That sounds horrible.

It just shows that whilst circumcism is still considered a legal option, it is important for there to be main****** avenues to pursue so that it is done safely.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (27-08-2012),giggle berry  (26-08-2012),Stumbleine  (29-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Wow. I wonder if that doc is still practicing, seems pretty scary that he has done 3000 circs but used the plastiball device incorrectly.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast